P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

Fallout 3’s original ending gave you the ability to bring a super mutant with you to the final confrontation then denied you the ability to send the radioactive proof mutant into the radioactive room and save the project that the whole game was structured around and the justification given is “I wouldn’t want to deny someone their destiny” or something similarly laughable because Bethesda doesn’t like the idea of someone outsmarting them on their primary school level moral conundrums.

Anyway, it’s fine. I’m glad it resurrected the series.

12 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Fallout 3’s original ending gave you the ability to bring a super mutant with you to the final confrontation then denied you the ability to send the radioactive proof mutant into the radioactive room and save the project that the whole game was structured around and the justification given is “I wouldn’t want to deny someone their destiny” or something similarly laughable because Bethesda doesn’t like the idea of someone outsmarting them on their primary school level moral conundrums.

Anyway, it’s fine. I’m glad it resurrected the series.

Aye I mind the original ending when I first played it and recall thinking "What the f**k?! Send in this super mutant companion or figure out another way!". I genuinely thought I had something 'wrong' with my character that meant certain dialogue options were not available, like I'd made some wrong choices along the way. 

The DLC fixed that (it also gave you the option of sending in the BoS lassie as well), but the original ending was up there with the Mass Effect 3 ending in terms of shiteness.

Anyway, people who chose to blow up Megaton should be monitored for when they will almost certainly try to commit a dreadful crime in real life.

Edited by DA Baracus

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye I mind the original ending when I first played it and recall thinking "What the f**k?! Send in this super mutant companion or figure out another way!". I genuinely thought I had something 'wrong' with my character that meant certain dialogue options were not available, like I'd made some wrong choices along the way. 

The DLC fixed that (it also gave you the option of sending in the BoS lassie as well), but the original ending was up there with the Mass Effect 3 ending in terms of shiteness.

Anyway, people who chose to blow up Megaton should be monitoring for when they will almost certainly try to commit a dreadful crime in real life.

First time through I blew up Megaton and immediately realised what a horrific choice I'd made. The wee chipper woman on the outskirts of the town you do side-quests for had become a ghoul and was like 'yeah these things happen, no biggie' and I felt 100 times worse.

Tenpenny got killed every other time.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

First time through I blew up Megaton and immediately realised what a horrific choice I'd made. The wee chipper woman on the outskirts of the town you do side-quests for had become a ghoul and was like 'yeah these things happen, no biggie' and I felt 100 times worse.

Tenpenny got killed every other time.

You monster!

Aye, Tenpenny gets shot in the head and his corpse chucked off the tower every time.

Can't remember if Fallout 3 made my list, but it certainly wasn't far off. The series went on a slight decline after, before leaping off a cliff with Fallout 76*.

* I haven't played Fallout 76, so apologies to the solitary fan who loves it - there's always one.

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

Having never played a fallout game before, whats best to try, 3,NV, or 4

My, what an attractive box. I wonder what would happen if I opened it.

New Vegas, IMO. First one I played, although admittedly my only attempt at Fallout 3 was through the abysmal PS Play shite that relies on your Internet connection. Just enjoyed the story in NV (I despise stories where your main quest is something no sensible person person would be delaying, yet the game tries to convince you to waste hours on mindless fetch quests (My only child is missing! I better help this complete stranger find all his missing cats on the opposite side of the country, though) at least NV had some form of logical pathway), and it wasn't particularly hard to just stick on for a couple of hours and meander about running into fun wee side quests.

4 was awful in comparison and I'd have dumped it after an hour or two if it wasn't a Fallout game and I was convinced it would get better. I refuse to touch 76, and will probably refrain from buying the next Fallout straight away.

Although I've just talked about how much of a missed opportunity 4 was, I think if you're coming into the series completely fresh, in the current era, I'd go for 4.  3 and NV are going to look and feel incredibly dated if you've not got the good memories from playing it before to cloud you, and 4 will at least feel slightly more like a modern game.  

Of course the correct answer is to play none of them, buy Witcher 3 instead, then send a PM to Mr X telling him how much you're enjoying the cutscenes.

11 hours ago, forameus said:

Although I've just talked about how much of a missed opportunity 4 was, I think if you're coming into the series completely fresh, in the current era, I'd go for 4.  3 and NV are going to look and feel incredibly dated if you've not got the good memories from playing it before to cloud you, and 4 will at least feel slightly more like a modern game.  

Of course the correct answer is to play none of them, buy Witcher 3 instead, then send a PM to Mr X telling him how much you're enjoying the cutscenes.

:lol: = instant ban

For what its worth, I enjoyed Witcher 3 once I got into it - and installed a couple of mods to get rid of some of the tedious bits - and I expect it will finish pretty highly on this list.

The cut scenes were shite though ;) 

Thats a fair point about playing Fallout 4 first though. I was looking at mods for 3 and NV last night and even with high-res texture packs and ENBs they do both look pretty dated, as you say

Edited by Mr X

For what it's worth, I reckon most people coming to the franchise cold would probably prefer Fallout 4 to 3 & NV, purely because it looks newer and probably has more modern mechanics, but they'd also likely be wondering what the big deal was about the series, as it's really dumbed-down in a lot of ways.

With the direction Bethesda have been moving Fallout towards, there'll be a lot of fans of the series who'll be dreading the next instalment. It'll be interesting to see what The Elder Scrolls 6 turns out to be, considering the overlap between the series, and how Bethesda has been pursuing the live service/pay-to-win model with recent Elder Scrolls games.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Just make a full next-gen remake of Morrowind that's the last time it was remotely interesting.

I've seen people saying that in a few places.

No doubt you already know, but The Internet is already on the case, and has been remaking Morrowind in the Skyrim engine for some time.