Sarah Everard

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

You see, nobody is disputing much, if any of that.  What is being disputed is the extent to which it is true i.e. the suggestion that that is the only factor and the circumstances around certain high-profile cases are irrelevant.  

Just as well that didn't happen then.

Of course there are other minor factors. Nobody ever disputed that.

My point was there was a clear link between ethnicity, wealth and public interest in cases. Because there is, and it's been proven over many locations in many academic studies.

It's happened in both the Sarah Everard case and in the current missing person case.

Call it out and it will eventually get better.

People who were initially skeptical of it, will come to agree it absolutely is a thing.

Which is progress for everyone, even if those individuals can't even admit it to themselves.

3 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

Ah,the "I'm a genius, everyone else is a half wit"arguement.

Checkmate you,I think

Wildly incorrect use of quotation marks there.

I prefer posters who have something constructive to say about the thread in question.

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Would Wayne Couzens have pleaded guilty to these charges just to land his ex colleagues in it for not suspending him at  the time of the murder? Or is that just being silly?

Seems doubtful - his ex colleagues would have got in trouble either way. I assume McDs have cameras so he would have been caught red handed and his lawyer would have told him to plead guilty.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Seems doubtful - his ex colleagues would have got in trouble either way. I assume McDs have cameras so he would have been caught red handed and his lawyer would have told him to plead guilty.

Yeah he is appealing his whole life tariff so he’s going to be in court again regardless so there was probably no point in pleading not guilty. It’s still an awful look for the police but he would likely have carried out a murder if he was suspended as well.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Yeah he is appealing his whole life tariff so he’s going to be in court again regardless so there was probably no point in pleading not guilty. It’s still an awful look for the police but he would likely have carried out a murder if he was suspended as well.

He wouldn’t have been able to show his warrant card to get her in his car if he’d been suspended.  Also, I think behaviour escalates when offenders get away with it. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

He wouldn’t have been able to show his warrant card to get her in his car if he’d been suspended.  Also, I think behaviour escalates when offenders get away with it. 

He might not have had the warrant card but if you’re going to the hassle of hiring out a car with the intention of abducting a lone woman then you’re probably not going to let that stop you. 

Also if he was exposing himself at a McDonald’s then he would have been aware he’d be caught on cctv and there would be a good chance of being caught he was clearly unhinged by that point.

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Watching the press conference at the moment.

It never ceases to amaze me how often the people conducting them have no public speaking skills

That's seems like a shambles today. A statement about stopping media speculation followed by a revelation that the girl had "significant vulnerabilities" thus sparking even more speculation eventually leading to a further statement a few hours later to say they meant she had issues with alcohol in an attempt to shut down the media frenzy they started in the first place.

It's been obvious there was more to this story from minute 1 but it does seem to be getting badly handled.

No doubt the police have ballsed up the PR but it's a fairly difficult situation.  Don't say anything and people/the media get antsy and start speculating and pouring stuff onto social media that could impact the investigation.  But saying the truth - she had a drinking problem, had previous police involvement (ie suicide attempt or ideation) and disappeared next to a body of flowing water is a undignified and will be hurtful to the family, exposing the most private things about her to an audience of millions.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Essentially I blame the public for this.  We need a police chief who will happily tell them to f**k off.

The application of a truncheon to the face would be appropriate for the various ghouls, freaks and incels who have made this about them. WTAF is wrong with these people?