Sarah Everard

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I can't remember where I read it but apparently researchers estimated that around 5-10% of non contact flashers go on to commit 'contact' offences.  Couzens is probably the most extreme example but it indicates how important it is to follow up and aggressively investigate people for exhibitionism, voyeurism, flashing etc.  It's amazing how common these things are - my wife and her friends at Uni all had examples of these things, men publicly masterbating on buses, people lurking outside their flat and trying to look in the bathroom when they were using the toilet. These things are kind of seen as a joke, a bit Benny Hill, but they are really disturbing and serious offences.  

Jeremy Vine was covering this on radio yesterday.  The phrase "not all flashers go on to be rapists, but all rapists have been flashers at one time" was used.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Jeremy Vine was covering this on radio yesterday.  The phrase "not all flashers go on to be rapists, but all rapists have been flashers at one time" was used.

Jeremy Vine is a fud, who doesn't deserve airtime. 

13 minutes ago, superwell87 said:

Jeremy Vine is a fud, who doesn't deserve airtime. 

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t think it would have been him who used the phrase. The saying is totally inaccurate and misleading as well.

It was one of the 'experts' who used the phrase. Some academic woman who'd conducted a study into the escalation of offending among sex offenders.

15 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

It was one of the 'experts' who used the phrase. Some academic woman who'd conducted a study into the escalation of offending among sex offenders.

It’s a ridiculous claim anyway. Not everyone who goes on to commit the worst of crimes Is doing so following a certain escalation of offences. 

7 hours ago, throbber said:

It’s a ridiculous claim anyway. Not everyone who goes on to commit the worst of crimes Is doing so following a certain escalation of offences. 

I agree it's almost certainly inaccurate that all rapists were flashers but probably true that a significant percentage saw an escalation in their crimes.   

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm glad to hear it, sometimes the old ways are the best.

On a slightly different note. How can you get a thrill by being naked in front of strangers in a park. I can hardly think of anything worse, it's the stuff of nightmares.

Smart move - building your defence already. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I agree it's almost certainly inaccurate that all rapists were flashers but probably true that a significant percentage saw an escalation in their crimes.   

Yes you obviously see patterns of re offending getting more serious with all crimes but with rape/sexual assault it can stem from all sorts of things such as unhappy childhood experiences, rejection, dysfunctional relationships, exposure to violence, exposure to misogyny and toxic masculinity issues to name but a few. To say they all start off by flashing doesn’t help anyone.

I think there is an issue that Chris talks about that people don’t take it seriously and actually find it funny when they hear of indecent exposure cases which is another problem. I think it’s because when people describe it it sounds a lot more harmless than having to witness it in real life when there’s a genuine chance of being trapped with a person with such sinister intentions. I remember seeing these sorts of incidents re-enacted on crime watch back in the day and I’m  certain the presenters were trying to conceal their giggles.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Yes you obviously see patterns of re offending getting more serious with all crimes but with rape/sexual assault it can stem from all sorts of things such as unhappy childhood experiences, rejection, dysfunctional relationships, exposure to violence, exposure to misogyny and toxic masculinity issues to name but a few. To say they all start off by flashing doesn’t help anyone.

I think there is an issue that Chris talks about that people don’t take it seriously and actually find it funny when they hear of indecent exposure cases which is another problem. I think it’s because when people describe it it sounds a lot more harmless than having to witness it in real life when there’s a genuine chance of being trapped with a person with such sinister intentions. I remember seeing these sorts of incidents re-enacted on crime watch back in the day and I’m  certain the presenters were trying to conceal their giggles.

Yep.

I distinctly remember numerous TV shows in the 70s where flashers were used for comedic value.  Saying that, casual racism was also commonplace, as was sexism, but we have made progress in all of those areas.  

I'm pretty sure if flashers were caught sooner, and receive the treatment they need, the number of more serious sex crimes would reduce but by how much I'm less sure - less than 50%?

My naivety was showing big time, up until about 10 years ago (I posted it on here). When the realisation just struck me like a train, that flashers had hard ons.

It had never crossed my mind before..

giphy.gif 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep.

I distinctly remember numerous TV shows in the 70s where flashers were used for comedic value.  Saying that, casual racism was also commonplace, as was sexism, but we have made progress in all of those areas.  

I'm pretty sure if flashers were caught sooner, and receive the treatment they need, the number of more serious sex crimes would reduce but by how much I'm less sure - less than 50%?

The US office had an episode when Phillis was flashed and it was largely made light of with Michael calling her phallus by mistake among other hilarious gags. This is why it’s not good to go about cancelling/editing things from the past as it’s important to see what was once deemed acceptable for laughs compared to how attitudes change:

I also don’t think making flashing a more serious crime is going to help serious sex crimes, it will always be difficult to get a conviction and for police to take it as seriously as they should be. That said you can always try whip your phone out and video it if you see something untoward happening in public.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

The US office had an episode when Phillis was flashed and it was largely made light of with Michael calling her phallus by mistake among other hilarious gags. This is why it’s not good to go about cancelling/editing things from the past as it’s important to see what was once deemed acceptable for laughs compared to how attitudes change:

I also don’t think making flashing a more serious crime is going to help serious sex crimes, it will always be difficult to get a conviction and for police to take it as seriously as they should be. That said you can always try whip your phone out and video it if you see something untoward happening in public.

The office wasn't even that long ago so I'm not sure it was even appropriate then.  It was funny though!  

I agree that making flashing a more serious crime won't really do much to help, but treating it more seriously when reported might be a start. It's the old story, we all know that fixing things when they are 'minor' will likely stop some of them becoming "major" - "a stitch in time saves nine" if you like.  

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eagerly awaiting a "I flashed somebody once and never went on to rape anybody" type post.

That sound like the way @ICTChris would phrase a "have you ever......" Ending to his threads.

On 07/03/2023 at 22:38, Hedgecutter said:

Eagerly awaiting a "I flashed somebody once and never went on to rape anybody" type post.

I once brazenly and publicly urinated on a CoS minister, but I am glad to report that in the intervening years my behaviour has not escalated to the point of committing serious sexual offences against the person, ordained clergy or otherwise.

Edited by Boo Khaki