Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

7 minutes ago, troopio said:

How in the name of blue hell does he keep getting a call up? He has been an amazing servant for us, certainly wouldnt have won a Nations League Group or made Euro 2024 without his contributions but for last 18 months hes been utter mince and his scoring record even worse.

Clarke is all but making it obvious he is now putting loyalty as his first priority with regards to some players. 

Worrying thing is he is a nailed on starter for dinosaur clarke and his prehistoric system

I'd be surprised if Adams doesn't start now that he's back in the squad.

I do accept your overall point though that Clarke is loyal to a fault.

23 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I'd be surprised if Adams doesn't start now that he's back in the squad.

I do accept your overall point though that Clarke is loyal to a fault.

Clarke would be going against his principles starting a striker who is playing and scoring goals!

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Dykes an ineffectual waste of space in League One but with some historic success for Scotland, v's Adams, who has always just been an ineffectual waste of space for Scotland in Clarke's systems.

Hud me back...

Clarke would rather play his mates out of loyalty than what is actually best for the team. A proper manager would drop players like Dykes, Hanley, McLean, Christie and Ralston

1 minute ago, troopio said:

Clarke would rather play his mates out of loyalty than what is actually best for the team. A proper manager would drop players like Dykes, Hanley, McLean, Christie and Ralston

This is fair criticism, but it's irrelevant with regard to Che Adams. Adams has been getting starts for Scotland lately, and has been a completely empty jersey because he isn't capable of doing any of the things Clarke's single forward formations need the central player to do.  Switching clubs will not have dramatically altered Che Adams' fundamental abilities.

I do not disagree but why should a clearly past it Dykes get starts and continual selection just because our dinosaur manager cannot see past playing 1 up front? If he is that keen on having a target man be as well play McTominay there as he would be 100000% more effective in the role than Dykes who has the turning circle of a container ship in the panama canal

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Probably because he was pretty good in the last two games? We looked far more likely to hurt Poland and Portugal when Dykes was on the pitch.

Please sire, remind me of the results in these said games? being "likely" does not win you games and points. 

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Looking unlikely to hurt the opposition is better?

Provide tangible stats that the team, in last 2 games, was better with Dykes in it? How many goals? How many assists?  He is a striker who does not score and offers nothing other than an aerial presence with very little in the way of assists. I want to win games not stat pad competitions.

He has scored 9 competitive goals for Scotland, all of them in games we have won. 7 of those goals have been winners or equalisers. How does that not correspond to scoring goals or winning?

How many other players in the entire history of our national team can point to a record like that?

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, troopio said:

How in the name of blue hell does he keep getting a call up? He has been an amazing servant for us, certainly wouldnt have won a Nations League Group or made Euro 2024 without his contributions but for last 18 months hes been utter mince and his scoring record even worse.

Clarke is all but making it obvious he is now putting loyalty as his first priority with regards to some players. 

Worrying thing is he is a nailed on starter for dinosaur clarke and his prehistoric system

He literally played well in our last game. 

If anything, taking Dykes off was the mistake in that game. 

Edited by No_Problemo

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He has scored 9 competitive goals for Scotland, all of them in games we have won. 7 of those goals have been winners or equalisers. How does that not correspond to scoring goals or winning?

How many other players in the entire history of our national team can point to a record like that?

Yes, in the past but his record the last 18 months at Club and International Level us abysmal, he should not be starting games on this basis. The fact he now plays in a a pub league should solidify that

His record at club level has basically always been "bad". In the last 18 months at international level, he scored and set up a goal in the win that took us to the Euros and has played well against Spain and Portugal away. If he'd been available for the Euros I am certain we would have been a better team for it.