Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

12 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

But the point is they wish to play against mens teams rather than the same youth teams 

Sure.

The extra sponsorship generation, season ticket, match day hospitality and other revenue generators that let them top up their youth budget is just a fortuitous bonus to it all.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They had a vote at least, the LL said yes, the HL said no.

Were the HL actually in the position of having to make a decision? If the original proposal was just to let Celtic and Rangers in.

10 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Then make up and call it the Reserve League with no age limits

The players involved in B teams are not the reserves - first team squads at top level are huge and players are paid big money.  They have another team virtually sitting on the bench - those players no longer consider playing for a reserve XI as being appropriate - the world has changed 

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Were the HL actually in the position of having to make a decision? If the original proposal was just to let Celtic and Rangers in.

I was referring to about 5 years ago when Caley Thistle were refused a slot in the HL. They ended up lending about 12 players to Fort William instead so the HL changed the rules to restrict the number of loan players permitted for the following season.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The players involved in B teams are not the reserves - first team squads at top level are huge and players are paid big money.  They have another team virtually sitting on the bench - those players no longer consider playing for a reserve XI as being appropriate - the world has changed 

If only there was some way to get young OF players game time against men's teams without wrecking Scottish football....

10 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Then allow eleven subs and loan out the youngsters instead of making a mockery of the system.

Edited by Blue Brazil Forever

10 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I hope this is leading up to a when is a reserve team not a reserve team joke.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was referring to about 5 years ago when Caley Thistle were refused a slot in the HL. They ended up lending about 12 players to Fort William instead so the HL changed the rules to restrict the number of loan players permitted for the following season.

Gotcha. And they were right. Apologies as I thought you were implying that both leagues had a vote at the time of the OF applying.  But imo they've got off lightly by not having the OF cash dangled in front of them like the LL did and so they can take the moral high ground.
Although I think they'd be in a stronger position than the LL which has never been awash with funds.

41 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I know footballers have a reputation for being thick, but are you saying they'd swallow being put in a B team is not exactly the same as being in the reserves?

21 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Gotcha. And they were right. Apologies as I thought you were implying that both leagues had a vote at the time of the OF applying.  But imo they've got off lightly by not having the OF cash dangled in front of them like the LL did and so they can take the moral high ground.
Although I think they'd be in a stronger position than the LL which has never been awash with funds.

It was 2019, not as long ago as I thought. Malky Mackay thinks that Ross County are better off lending players to Highland League teams, not only because of the costs of running a B-team but because their players are getting experience playing with as well as against men instead of boys, as he puts it.

Why Ross County boss thinks a Highland League colts team is a bad idea

5 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The B team has an age limit, reserves do not 

The Lowland B team does, The SPFL Trust Trophy allows a couple of overage players.

Any idea what's being proposed for the Conference League? Since they increased age limits from after the first season in the Lowland League,