Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

Bitterly disappointed that this vote has passed tonight.

It shouldn't be possible to just buy a place partway up the pyramid like this. I worry that this is another foot in the door, after the introduction of colts in the Challenge Cup, and will make the possibility of Colts in the SPFL more likely in the near future. The SPFL was a closed shop for so long, and while the pyramid system is not perfect, the prospect of ambitious clubs moving up into the senior leagues has made the Scottish game so much more exciting for me in these past few years.

To slow that down, or ruin it all together, with this self serving nonsense from the Old Firm, is a tough pill to swallow.

The best prospects from Celtic and Rangers are usually wanted at a higher level than the LL, and would surely stay that way for the sake of their development. Ewan Otoo for example, has not looked out of place in League One. I wouldn't expect him to be dropping two divisions, and it would be surely detrimental to his development to ask him to do so. If that's the case, and the integrity of the pyramid has been ruined so that Celtic and Rangers can send out their 2nd or 3rd string jobbers, I struggle to see how this move will be great for development, as some have said, as any bright prospects in these team's youth academies are playing at a higher level already, and a season of playing against Berwick Rangers and Gretna 2008 isn't going to help.

6 minutes ago, McGuire said:

The best prospects from Celtic and Rangers are usually wanted at a higher level than the LL, and would surely stay that way for the sake of their development. Ewan Otoo for example, has not looked out of place in League One. 

Otoo looked absolutely class for Clyde when I've seen him. Cole McKinnon has looked decent for East Fife as well. The idea that these boys are better off in the LL than on loan at L1 clubs is absolutely mental.

10 minutes ago, McGuire said:

Bitterly disappointed that this vote has passed tonight.

It shouldn't be possible to just buy a place partway up the pyramid like this. I worry that this is another foot in the door, after the introduction of colts in the Challenge Cup, and will make the possibility of Colts in the SPFL more likely in the near future. The SPFL was a closed shop for so long, and while the pyramid system is not perfect, the prospect of ambitious clubs moving up into the senior leagues has made the Scottish game so much more exciting for me in these past few years.

To slow that down, or ruin it all together, with this self serving nonsense from the Old Firm, is a tough pill to swallow.

The best prospects from Celtic and Rangers are usually wanted at a higher level than the LL, and would surely stay that way for the sake of their development. Ewan Otoo for example, has not looked out of place in League One. I wouldn't expect him to be dropping two divisions, and it would be surely detrimental to his development to ask him to do so. If that's the case, and the integrity of the pyramid has been ruined so that Celtic and Rangers can send out their 2nd or 3rd string jobbers, I struggle to see how this move will be great for development, as some have said, as any bright prospects in these team's youth academies are playing at a higher level already, and a season of playing against Berwick Rangers and Gretna 2008 isn't going to help.

It's all about maintaining a presence here once they are able to f**k off to whatever league will take them. Even from their point of view this will do heehaw for actual player development as that league is rancid beyond a handful of teams.

39 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The whole thing's such an unnecessary own goal....not only are they facing near-universal opprobrium for the decision they've made from both above and below them in the pyramid, but the thirty pieces of silver they'll get for making that decision will quickly be swallowed up by increased stewarding and policing costs when they play the baby arse cheeks not to mention the general disinclination for fans of opposing teams to hand over their cash to them.

Not sure what they believe they're going to gain from this at all....it's got people talking about them for sure, but it's not like it's in a good way.

Have you ever been to a Celtic or Rangers colt game?

I have, quite a few times. Dunipace U20s and Dundonald Bluebell U20s both get bigger crowds on a Friday night that those two. Many of the clubs in the LL - and almost all the clubs in the EOS Premier - draw more for a bog standard home game that Celtic get for their UEFA Youth Champions League games at Dumbarton.

I've stood on the touchline at St Andrew's Uni without so much as a rope between me and the pitch for Dundee Utd v Celtic, with more players on the pitch and benches than there were spectators.

Nobody gives a fk about these teams - including their own fans.

9 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Otoo looked absolutely class for Clyde when I've seen him. Cole McKinnon has looked decent for East Fife as well. The idea that these boys are better off in the LL than on loan at L1 clubs is absolutely mental.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven, but to be clear, guys of his ilk will not be the ones confined to the LL Colts.  Otoo is far too good for a LL Colts side.

There's a number of weans, including on loan at Brechin, who aren't necessarily stars in the making.  They will end up at this awful LL colts idea.

The more adept players will still be loaned out to SPFL clubs.

Please let it be known that by me posting this, I am in no way endorsing what took place tonight.......a quick glance at any of my previous posts over past two or three days will clearly show otherwise.  I'm merely pointing out that those with real potential will still be put on loan to the Championship or L1.

Edited by Bundesliga Boy

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

As an airdrie supporter who attended the cup game with Hamilton colts a while ago my view was as its a 1st team game i would attend as I really dislike missing any games.    This upcoming season I will not be attending any games involving all colts teams or lowland league teams.  

It's time ALL fans of scotish football clubs stood together.   The vast minority of fans have said no to this and we cannot be ignored once again. 

BOYCOTT ALL LOWLAND LEAGUE CLUBS- for one season only!!!!

No, but I definitely won't be at any of the 11 that voted for it, and obviously not at any of the colts games. And not just next season, this lasts as long as they're run by these people.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I have, quite a few times. Dunipace U20s and Dundonald Bluebell U20s both get bigger crowds on a Friday night that those two. Many of the clubs in the LL - and almost all the clubs in the EOS Premier - draw more for a bog standard home game that Celtic get for their UEFA Youth Champions League games at Dumbarton.

I've stood on the touchline at St Andrew's Uni without so much as a rope between me and the pitch for Dundee Utd v Celtic, with more players on the pitch and benches than there were spectators.

Oh, totally - I've been at games involving both sides, including Euro Youth League things. That being said, it's normally been like a Tuesday afternoon or something when I've been off work. As you say, attendance is minimal.

Could well be a different kettle of fish however if it's on a Saturday afternoon with the first team in question not playing until the Sunday...don't see the local polis taking a "Ach, f**k it...sure it'll be fine..." stance there.

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

Oh, totally - I've been at games involving both sides, including Euro Youth League things. That being said, it's normally been like a Tuesday afternoon or something when I've been off work. As you say, attendance is minimal.

Could well be a different kettle of fish however if it's on a Saturday afternoon with the first team in question not playing until the Sunday...don't see the local polis taking a "Ach, f**k it...sure it'll be fine..." stance there.

What I think might be even worse is that they'll never normally turn up, but then once a year or so they'll do an organised thing and turn up in numbers, like they've done on a couple of occasions with the women's teams. Then you'll get smoke bombs, party anthems, the works. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

What I think might be even worse is that they'll never normally turn up, but then once a year or so they'll do an organised thing and turn up in numbers, like they've done on a couple of occasions with the women's teams. Then you'll get smoke bombs, party anthems, the works. 

Saw exactly that happen at a women's OF game up at EK, which is why I don't think there's any way the local polis will just let the games slide.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm unsure what you mean by 'what does that even mean?', but if you are referring to my post, it's clear the LL haven't considered the teams above them, who want nothing to do with the OF and have made this clear on many occasions, and have disregarded the many clubs in tiers below the LL by letting two sides leapfrog them all. I'm sure you know that, just as you know there is dubiety about the version given by Rangers officials over the whole farrago. 

As an example, 'one season only' and 'one season initially' don't mean the same.

If the teams above don't want anything to do with the OF then it's entirely within their power to keep them out of the SPFL. If it's just for one season then there's no actual leapfrogging.

Problem is we'll only find out in 12 months time...

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Celtic's attendances at Cappielow for the 2016-17 UEFA Youth League (no figures for 17-18 at Dumbarton?) were 246, 341, 296. The first game was at 6pm on the night of a Champions League game (can't exactly watch both) and the other two were at 3pm on a weekday. 

Only 3 LL clubs and 4 EOS clubs get more than that on average. I highly doubt U20s get that amount either. I understand that you don't like the OF and Colts but not sure why you would post easily disproved nonsense?

But it will be interesting to see what happens with the OF fans given there's no LL clubs in Glasgow or Ayrshire.

As for Vale of Leithen - their vice-chairman is on their Facebook defending it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/350995348896/permalink/10158474608213897/

Untitled-3.png

2 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I just knew that VOL would be behind this!

Stabbing their old EoS colleagues in the back. Considering they were one of the group who were to initially allowed to leave the EoS at the creation of the Lowland League and keep their membership... like many of the other teams who have voted FOR 😶

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

If the teams above don't want anything to do with the OF then it's entirely within their power to keep them out of the SPFL. If it's just for one season then there's no actual leapfrogging.

Problem is we'll only find out in 12 months time...

Celtic's attendances at Cappielow for the 2016-17 UEFA Youth League (no figures for 17-18 at Dumbarton?) were 246, 341, 296. The first game was at 6pm on the night of a Champions League game (can't exactly watch both) and the other two were at 3pm on a weekday. 

Only 3 LL clubs and 4 EOS clubs get more than that on average. I highly doubt U20s get that amount either. I understand that you don't like the OF and Colts but not sure why you would post easily disproved nonsense?

Surprised more EOS clubs don't get above 250, but come TF on, you're not going to argue that such unbelievably shitty attendances at their absolutely biggest matches suggest they have any sort of following? Half of those crowds are the players' friends and families. An OF match in the UEFA Youth League is like a big cup tie for a non-league side. I was at Celtic v PSG at Dumbarton in 2017, the crowd was pisspoor. And about quarter of the crowd appeared to be French.

I absolutely guarantee you that Dunipace and Dundonald U20s get bigger crowds for their Development League games than Celtic and Rangers teams did in the Development and Reserve Leagues. I was at Motherwell v Celtic not so long ago, I think the "crowd" was about 40.

As for kick-off times, you think every OF fan is in full time, 9-5 employment? You think every OF fan has a ticket for their game so can't make it to the youth game beforehand? I'm full time employed, 9-5, I made it to these game and I don't even support the teams involved.

Just look at the Challenge Cup attendances. They're a joke.

This really isn't even up for debate.

6 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Stabbing their old EoS colleagues in the back. Considering they were one of the group who were to initially allowed to leave the EoS at the creation of the Lowland League and keep their membership... like many of the other teams who have voted FOR 😶

Spot on!  And mightily lucky to escape relegation (again) this season.