Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

57 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

They don't just speak for "us" as in the party, but also "us" as in the general population

“Lee Anderson speaks for me” would be up there with “Hitler was a nice guy” and “I have all Des O’Connor’s records”.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Those sorts of rules are pretty typical for most settings where the appointees are by election/nomination.

I used to sit on the Board of Directors of a charity. It was a statutory rule that you were removed from the Board if you did not attend at least 50% of the Board meetings over a two year period, or a minimum of one Quarterly meeting in any calendar year. You also faced mandatory re-election every two years at the AGM, and if nobody re-nominated you, you were auto-punted.

You are there to do a job, and have duty of care to the organisation. It beggars belief there is no automatic de-selection for MP's who are clearly taking the piss.

That would be interesting for seats won by Sinn Fein - there would be an endless stream of by-elections.

Edited by AyrshireTon
typo

8 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

That would be interesting for seats won by Sinn Fein - there would be an endless stream of by-elections.

It's a fair enough point, but the obvious difference is SF are still winning elections in seats where the electorate are aware beforehand that an SF candidate is not going to participate in the HoC, whereas Dorries' own constituents are clearly hopping mad that she's 'in breach of contract' after the event.

When I first joined my charity's BoD we had a regular problem with achieving quorum because half of the existing BoD were well-meaning people thinking they were doing some good, but didn't realise they were incapable of discharging the obligations of a Director. Because of the statutory rules, we were able to divest ourselves of their Directorship, even though in one case we were never actually able to contact the person in question to make them aware of their shortcomings. 

For utter clowns and charlatans like Dorries, there desperately needs to be a threshold where recall is automatic and occurs by default, with the only exception being someone who can not attend because of an obvious medical condition, but even then, I don't think it's appropriate for the constituents to go totally without participatory representation and have no alternative that fulfils the community aspect of a sitting MP. There needs to be some sort of contingency until such time the incumbent is fit again to resume duties, although the sceptic in me thinks you'd witness a massive number of MP's coming down with mystery ailments and handing in sicknotes, the benefit-grabbing, workshy cuntos.

24 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's a fair enough point, but the obvious difference is SF are still winning elections in seats where the electorate are aware beforehand that an SF candidate is not going to participate in the HoC, whereas Dorries' own constituents are clearly hopping mad that she's 'in breach of contract' after the event.

Sinn Féin’s non-attendance is also a political statement, rather than because they’ve thrown a tantrum about not getting in the Lords, so it’s a very different set of circumstances imo. As you say, I’m pretty sure everyone is aware that SF won’t be turning up at Westminster and that the people voting for them are more than happy with that position. 

1 hour ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Can the constituents not just do the recall thing they did with Ferrier ?

If Dorries was suspended from the HoC for (I think) more than 10 days, then it would trigger an automatic recall petition. 

Unfortunately, suspending yourself from the HoC indefinitely triggers f**k all.

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ooft.

Woke lefty lies. They'll be getting the same Sky TV and PlayStation 6 consoles the the EU force us to give murderers in prison, including all the games like Half Life 3.

Lee Anderson achieving his objective of dominating the news for a couple of days and thereby partially distracting from the government’s various failures.

He will set a homeless person on fire next…

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Lee Anderson achieving his objective of dominating the news for a couple of days and thereby partially distracting from the government’s various failures.

He will set a homeless person on fire next…

Nothing new in that, the Tories have always played to the Alf Garnett's in our society (and vice-versa).

Edited by btb

27 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

If this barge holds about 500 [it doesn't, but that is how many they wanted to hold there] and there are about 650 MPs, can't we just host the MPs there rather than having to have second homes? We could even give them the point a day stipend.

^  ^

Forgotten about Therese Coffey.