World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

And Irishmen like Declan Rice and Jack Grealish switching to England doesn't help them either.

I did enjoy the meltdown over players turning them down, considering how many they’ve stolen from every other one of their neighbours.

England go 10-0 up.
Englands biggest competive win since a 13-2 against Ireland in 1899. Biggest win in general since a 10-0 against the USA in a 1964 friendly.

Nap the pundits will be giving it the pRe QuAlIfYiNg chat as usual re: San Marino.

I find that "we don't want to play San Marino" chat bizarre. Who wouldn't want to watch their country put double figures past somebody once in a while?

Elsewhere in that group, I noticed Poland utterly shat the bed tonight and probably got themselves dumped into the 'unseeded' pot, against all odds.

37 minutes ago, G51 said:

Kane travelling to and asking to start against San Marino, just to grab some pishy record that no one will ever care about, has to be the most cringeworthy behaviour I've seen in a long time. 

I still reckon his “swear on me daughter’s life” moment of trying to claim a goal that never touched him has to be number 1.

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

No suitable airport up there

On a completely off topic and irrelevant point, I've recently been enjoying the Canadian 1986 World Cup tune.

I think it might be from the same songwriting team that gave Aberdeen fans The European Song in 1983.

Crackin' stuff

36 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

On a completely off topic and irrelevant point, I've recently been enjoying the Canadian 1986 World Cup tune.

I think it might be from the same songwriting team that gave Aberdeen fans The European Song in 1983.

Crackin' stuff

I love it so much!  One thing it doesn't specifically mention is scoring goals, which we failed to do at the 1986 World Cup lol 

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I love it so much!  One thing it doesn't specifically mention is scoring goals, which we failed to do at the 1986 World Cup lol 

But George Pakos had a rifle of shot!

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

I find that "we don't want to play San Marino" chat bizarre. Who wouldn't want to watch their country put double figures past somebody once in a while?

Elsewhere in that group, I noticed Poland utterly shat the bed tonight and probably got themselves dumped into the 'unseeded' pot, against all odds.

Just said something similar on Twitter.  Imagine being pissed off at winning 10-0.  Do you reckon the Germans, French and Danes when were ripping when they scored 9, 8 and 8 without reply in this campaign?

England's last two games against dross have allowed Kane, who has been pish in the Premier League all season, to rack up a lot of goals and make people forget how bad he's been. Great work when you can get it. 

Games against total jobbers like San Marino must be a great when you're looking to make your stats better. Easy pickings. 

As a neutral, seeing the likes of San Marino, Andorra etc getting routinely thumped has zero entertainment value. Brazil being pumped 7-1 at the World Cup? That's class. A country the size of Cowdenbeath being thrashed? Pointless. The only real amusement is when a big team can only beat them 2-0 and it reflects badly. 

Edited by Michael W

38 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Just said something similar on Twitter.  Imagine being pissed off at winning 10-0.  Do you reckon the Germans, French and Danes when were ripping when they scored 9, 8 and 8 without reply in this campaign?

I particularly enjoy the “it’s not in San Marino’s interest either” stuff. The Sammarinese lads are, at best, playing in the fourth tier of Italian football, but get to go out and play against the best players in the world pretty routinely. I’d be pretty confident they’ll take the odd 10-0 to be able to say that they played against Toni Kroos or Kylian Mbappe.

Theres also the fact that sometimes these sides improve - the Faroes, for example, aren’t a joke team anymore and Andorra were a pot 5 side. Luxembourg were a complete nonsense for a long time, and are now a genuinely ok side.

And teams can and do slip up against these sides from time to time. Andorra beat Hungary in the last WC qualifiers. Liechtenstein got a draw with Armenia in this - at a time when Armenia had 10 points from 5 games.

Aye, it might be boring watching England play them knowing they’ll stick at least five in, but f**k it - international football doesn’t exist purely to entertain England fans.