Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think in the campaign there was a widely held belief that a lot of new voters were registering to vote yes. But then on the day, turnout was pushing 90%+ mainly in heavily no voting council areas like Stirling and Edinburgh. There was a lot more added turnout from unionists than expected. I wonder if these people have turned out again.

Unionists will turn out in the pissing rain because they think the weather would be fire and brimstone in an independent Scotland

On that topic. I know there is a clear lack of talent in the party but how much longer does Willie Rennie stay as leader? Obviously not entirely his fault but they are looking at being 4th again by a fair few seats, while their leader has built a brand of being a joke figure. Surely some within the party want to be taken seriously up here, which they will never be whole Rennie runs around playing wizards and posing with giant deck chairs.
5th

15 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Are people genuinely voting Alba ffs.

If you want independence and to use the voting system properly just vote green on the second vote, why on Earth would you vote to give a rapist a position of power? Beyond belief man!

Who is this rapist? He’ll be roaming the streets at night killing people next. 

Hearing whispers that the SNP are confident that the worst case scenario is 1-2 seats shy of a majority and they have every chance to sneak past 65 (although not expecting more than 66-67)

Also hearing that the Tories have comfortably beaten Labour into second place

47 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Hearing whispers that the SNP are confident that the worst case scenario is 1-2 seats shy of a majority and they have every chance to sneak past 65 (although not expecting more than 66-67)

I reckon even if the SNP stay on the same amount of seats they won last time they'll be pretty pleased, especially if Labour and especially the Tories lose seats.  Should the Greens do well and it seems likely they'll hit double figures at least this time, they'll be able to spin it that the biggest indicator from the voters is a rejection of the union even if they haven't achieved a majority.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I think in the campaign there was a widely held belief that a lot of new voters were registering to vote yes. But then on the day, turnout was pushing 90%+ mainly in heavily no voting council areas like Stirling and Edinburgh. There was a lot more added turnout from unionists than expected. I wonder if these people have turned out again.

That's exactly my worry this time - differential turnout. Those working from home are mostly middle class and the middle class are always more likely to get postal votes. Older people vote no matter how bad the weather is. 

I'm not sure I entirely believe the reports of higher turnout, because I think they're based on an assumption of 100% turnout for postal votes.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Can you tell us exactly the source of these rumours? Or is it like "the BBC understands..."

16 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I reckon even if the SNP stay on the same amount of seats they won last time they'll be pretty pleased, especially if Labour and especially the Tories lose seats.  Especially if the Greens do well and it seems likely they'll hit double figures this time, they'll be able to spin it that the biggest indicator from the voters is a rejection of the union even if they haven't achieved a majority.

That's the way i see it, there could be up to 70 Nationalist seats if the Greens do well.

Edit - Of course, the only headline will be 'SNP failed to get majority ahahaahahahah you're shite m8' from the Unionist press.  Conveniently forgetting the Greens are pro-indy.

Edited by TheScarf

43 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's the way i see it, there could be up to 70 Nationalist seats if the Greens do well.

Edit - Of course, the only headline will be 'SNP failed to get majority ahahaahahahah you're shite m8' from the Unionist press.  Conveniently forgetting the Greens are pro-indy.

My bet is that the SNP would then  formalise a coalition with the Greens to make a pro-Indy coalition.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Let's all talk about our feelings.

Sometimes in a campaign you get a feeling from voters on the doorstep about how everything is going.

That's when turnout matters. There isn't a universal rule of high turnout means X 

I don't get any sense from campaign work, in my constituency anyway, that we have a strong motivated unionist bloc itching to stop indyref 2 in the way we had in 2016 and 2017. This was not a Ruth Davidson campaign.

I did get a sense we have lots of families excited to vote and - let's give Alex Salmond his due - the issue of tactical voting for Indy was present on the doorstep like never before. Unfortunately for Alba all we heard is people were voting Green. 

I hate to be optimistic but I'm optimistic that a high turnout in these elections means it's good for indy parties.

Need to see final figures though as queues because of Covid limits and full boxes because of size of the list ballot don't tell us much.

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

When are the first results due in?

Will be a while yet, I think the count only started at 9 this morning.

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Kuensberg, is that you?