Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

389 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Might just vote for Alba on list...things need shaken up a bit tbh. Independence isn't just about SNP and other voices need to be heard. So SNP/Alba or Green.
Kind of feel the same way, and looking at the list candidates, Mike Russell seems to be a decent MSP, so leaning in that direction. Although things could change.

8 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Refusing to condemn his Russian masters for Salisbury poisonings.

Sharing such fine company with Corbyn and Galloway on the whole Russian question. I'd imagine there's a fair few on here sympathetic to this view. 

2 hours ago, MacDuffman said:

Refusing to condemn his Russian masters for Salisbury poisonings.

It's worth bearing in mind that three years later there is still no official explanation of the events of 7/4/2018.

There is no official account of who put the substance on the door handle, what time it was applied, when the Skripals came into contact with the substance or where the Skripals were on the morning concerned. 

There has also been no inquest into Dawn Sturges' death. 

Salmond's position is no different from the English legal system.

Edited by Detournement

On 03/04/2021 at 11:56, GordonS said:

What other countries have done it? In the last 50 years 15 territories have declared independence. Four have had some success, the rest have been completely ignored by almost everyone, even though several are de facto independent. Croatia and Slovenia were recognised because Yugoslavia no longer existed and Serbia wasn't claiming them so it was an easy one. Still pissed off Russia though.

lol wut

5 hours ago, Pato said:

Ha Ha Ha, Oh Wow | Know Your Meme

We should start a book on when exactly Jim Sillars will fall out with the "Alba" leadership, write a warts and all confessional in a Sunday tabloid, and then get expelled, going on to form "independent Alba" the following week.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

If you've got something to say then say it, otherwise don't waste my time.

"Croatia and Slovenia were recognised because Yugoslavia no longer existed and Serbia wasn't claiming them so it was an easy one. Still pissed off Russia though."

I was merely pointing out this this is utter shite, historically and politically illiterate, and said in a tone of such Johnsonian confidence that it actually made it quite funny. Carry on.

Presumably Serbia and Croatia fought for three years because "Serbia wasn't claiming" the Krajina. Presumably the Slovenes fought for ten days against the JNA because Serbia was, well, indifferent to all that. Presumably Serbia Croatia and BiH knocked lumps out of one another in BiH from 92-95 because the Serbs, you know, didn't give a f**k.  The process of recognising an independent Croatia (not so much Slovenia) was diplomatically very complicated. And "the Russians" had precisely f**k all to do with anything at that time as you may remember they had slightly bigger fish to fry to with the dissolution of the USSR and the total collapse of the former Soviet economy. For your information Yugoslavia existed until the early 2000s.

Other than that, you got so much right.

Out of politeness to everyone else, as this is a tangent to the topic at hand, I didn't elaborate on these details.

Now get yourself to f**k.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On 05/04/2021 at 15:48, SandyCromarty said:

I've  mentioned that Sunday Times poll on another thread, and basically what I have said that as it is from a rank tory rag you have to be careful it isn't a ploy to get tory voters off their arses and vote to keep the Indy supporters out, it could also influence the 'not sure' voter who might vote for Independence but thinks that they are going to win anyway so they don't bother.

Polling tactics like this have been used before.

Would you absolutely trust the tory Sunday Times?

Alba seem to have peaked. Latest poll had them at 2% after others at nearly 6% and 3%.

The bunch of bams will win nowt but potentially take seats from SNP and the Greens despite the Tories taking a shine to them.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

"Croatia and Slovenia were recognised because Yugoslavia no longer existed and Serbia wasn't claiming them so it was an easy one. Still pissed off Russia though."

I was merely pointing out this this is utter shite, historically and politically illiterate, and said in a tone of such Johnsonian confidence that it actually made it quite funny. Carry on.

Presumably Serbia and Croatia fought for three years because "Serbia wasn't claiming" the Krajina. Presumably the Slovenes fought for ten days against the JNA because Serbia was, well, indifferent to all that. Presumably Serbia Croatia and BiH knocked lumps out of one another in BiH from 92-95 because the Serbs, you know, didn't give a f**k.  The process of recognising an independent Croatia (not so much Slovenia) was diplomatically very complicated. And "the Russians" had precisely f**k all to do with anything at that time as you may remember they had slightly bigger fish to fry to with the dissolution of the USSR and the total collapse of the former Soviet economy. For your information Yugoslavia existed until the early 2000s.

Other than that, you got so much right.

Out of politeness to everyone else, as this is a tangent to the topic at hand, I didn't elaborate on these details.

Now get yourself to f**k.

Woah, you're a much bigger tool that I was expecting.

By the time Croatia and Slovenia were recognised there was no serious dispute from Belgrade. Yugoslavia was Serbia and Montenegro from c.1995 onwards, until Montenegro achieved independence. Russia wanted Yugoslavia to stay together but they also had close ties to Croatia in particular.

If you see it otherwise then you should probably go and tell the lecturers at Glasgow Uni, because that's what they tought in honours international law just a few years after it happened.

There was an easy way to have this discussion without being a massive bellend, and you chose to be a typical social media arsehole. There was absolutely no need for your abuse at all, so this is the last time I respond to you.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

If you see it otherwise then you should probably go and tell the lecturers at Glasgow Uni, because that's what they tought in honours international law just a few years after it happened.

I don't know what this is supposed to convey. 

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't know what this is supposed to convey. 

That if I have to make a choice between whose version of events to accept, the Emeritus Professor of Public International Law at Glasgow Uni and Dean of the Faculty of Law, or an anonymous account on the internet, I'm going with the guy with the many letters after his name.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

That if I have to make a choice between whose version of events to accept, the Emeritus Professor of Public International Law at Glasgow Uni and Dean of the Faculty of Law, or an anonymous account on the internet, I'm going with the guy with the many letters after his name.

So for example you would automatically accept the Millbank Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, Niall Ferguson's, take on, say, the British Empire over any of his detractors who don't have lofty titles? 

I find the just a few years comment strange as well. If nothing else it's also these opinions on the subject don't have the benefit of academic distance and a possible quarter century of developing historiography.