Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

393 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Two councilors currently. Chris Cullen (Ayr East - elected as SNP) & Karl Rosie (Thurso & North West Caitness - elected SNP went independent joined Alba not long after).

So every single politician representing them at any level of government is an SNP defector then? They’ve literally never won a seat in their own right. 

5 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

So every single politician representing them at any level of government is an SNP defector then? They’ve literally never won a seat in their own right. 

Correct.

They got 1.66% in 2021 Scottish Parliament election... 0 seats.

They got 0.7% in 2022 local council elections... 0 seats. (West Dunbartonshire, British Unionist and Rubbish parties won seats but Alba didn't).

Presumably they're taking a leaf out of the Referendum Party's book and playing the long game. Nae votes in 1997, Prime Minister for Life Farage in 2029.

Or the SDP and just hoping to win power by nicking everyone else's representatives.

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I thought it was Alpa? Or is it Alapa?

More Scottish folk care about football than politics. Politics is the refuge of the oddballs in our society. Maybe if they got some ex-footballers to stand as candidates that would work? Failing that get some reality stars in.

Doesn’t everyone love a sleepy 😴 cuddle 🍆 ? No…

IIRC Billy McNeill and Eric Caldow were unsuccessful list candidates

Alba will do anything to avoid a quick Holyrood election because they'll end with no MPs or MSPs later this year, if there is one. So no need for a new SNP leader to give them the time of day. I believe they also have 3 councillors in the whole of Scotland, none of them elected as Alba members either.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Alba will do anything to avoid a quick Holyrood election because they'll end with no MPs or MSPs later this year, if there is one. So no need for a new SNP leader to give them the time of day. I believe they also have 3 councillors in the whole of Scotland, none of them elected as Alba members either.

Not necessarily; let's be positive. There's bound to be a sidelined MSP somewhere who'll switch after the election.

It keeps coming up that (IIRC) about 4% of Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party are believers in independence, so there's that. Must be like when chapters of the KKK get the occasional African-American trying to join because they like big crosses and fire, and are willing to overlook everyone else hating them.

They're either deeply unpopular or nobody knows who they are. Tough to break through that.

I'm sure that approval ratings for both Alba and Salmond are somewhere in the minus 40%s

14 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

They're either deeply unpopular or nobody knows who they are. Tough to break through that.

I'm sure that approval ratings for both Alba and Salmond are somewhere in the minus 40%s

So, despite thinking they're mostly absolute wallopers, with an unhealthy obsession with the trans community, I might have to use my next list vote on them

Unless, and hopefully so, someone can point me in a better direction?

Edited by Ned Nederlander

I heard something on Radio Scotland about Salmond suggesting there might be a deal if the SNP agreed to step aside for ALBA in some seats. I think that's just another example of the enormous Salnond chutzpah - step aside for a party hat three people and a dug are gonnae vote for?

I repeat - the largest caucus of ALBA supporters is Mad NotRev Stu's adoring BTL constituency on Wings. All wallopers of the first water, and all convinced that ALBA might be about to make a real electoral breakthrough.

15 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

I came on here to post that.  I think Salmond's personal rating is -47%.  He is not someone who people easily take to.

As an aside, and I hope I don't doxx myself here, I live in an estate where there's basically a main loop with all the other streets coming off it.  Over the other side of the loop from us (the rough side I like to tell myself) lives someone who is an Alba activist.  During the 2021 elections he drove around the loop pulling a trailer with a huge picture of Alex Salmond on it with a loudspeaker playing some of his speeches.  I'm sure this played a significant part in them not getting elected here and if this was replicated across the country, anywhere else.

Interestingly, the guy also had an SNP flag on his trailer, part of the strange Alba campaign asking people to vote for the party that they absolutely hate and that hates them.

I like the idea of a Scotland United coalition. Ive always wanted an independent Scotland but never liked the snp/alba too many roasters in both parties. So some broader/bigger coalition  but even bigger and broader than just those 2 is more appealing to me. Ive already stated Im voting Labour next election as the SNP wont bring independence anytime soon on their own, they are incapable of it. A Scotland united would make me switch my vote though.

2 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Im voting Labour next election as the SNP wont bring independence anytime soon

Each and every Labour vote in Scotland will be championed as a nod to the Union and absolutely nothing about them gives me confidence that they'd be competent in Government.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I came on here to post that.  I think Salmond's personal rating is -47%.  He is not someone who people easily take to.

As an aside, and I hope I don't doxx myself here, I live in an estate where there's basically a main loop with all the other streets coming off it.  Over the other side of the loop from us (the rough side I like to tell myself) lives someone who is an Alba activist.  During the 2021 elections he drove around the loop pulling a trailer with a huge picture of Alex Salmond on it with a loudspeaker playing some of his speeches.  I'm sure this played a significant part in them not getting elected here and if this was replicated across the country, anywhere else.

Interestingly, the guy also had an SNP flag on his trailer, part of the strange Alba campaign asking people to vote for the party that they absolutely hate and that hates them.

Yeah, any interaction I've had with the Abla crew...and there haven't been many...has been bitter and confrontational. It seems to be the group for people who've decided that independence will never happen and want everyone to know that it's YOUR fault for not doing...something. It's a weird situation when people who are in favour of something will be happy if it doesn't occur, because then they'll be RIGHT.

When I went to vote at the last Holyrood elections, there were a wee group of besuited Abla guys silently huddled together outside, glaring daggers at everyone who entered as though they knew nobody was voting for them. Pretty much every other one of the folk with placards I've ever seen outside polling stations try to be pleasant and say hello, even to folk who are clearly voting for another party and are downright rude to them. Dunno why they were there, as they just looked like they were hoping for a argument.

35 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

So, despite thinking they're mostly absolute wallopers, with an unhealthy obsession with the trans community, I might have to use my next list vote on them

Unless, and hopefully so, someone can point me in a better direction?

If the SNP constituency vote fails to win as many seats this time round then an SNP list vote might end up not being wasted as much as last time.

5 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Each and every Labour vote in Scotland will be championed as a nod to the Union and absolutely nothing about them gives me confidence that they'd be competent in Government.

Yeah, that's the dilemma.

I suppose the only other option would be spoiled ballot papers indicating support for independence...which would give the Tories a better chance of taking over and ensuring independence NEVER happens  :lol:

11 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

I like the idea of a Scotland United coalition. Ive always wanted an independent Scotland but never liked the snp/alba too many roasters in both parties. So some broader/bigger coalition  but even bigger and broader than just those 2 is more appealing to me. Ive already stated Im voting Labour next election as the SNP wont bring independence anytime soon on their own, they are incapable of it. A Scotland united would make me switch my vote though.

A vote for the Branch Office again.

Anas phoning Sir Keir for permission. 

Sir Keir not wanting anything to happen in Scotland that might just make England look a bit more rubbish than it is.

Bye-bye free prescriptions etc...

20 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

fair enough but voting snp currently wont get independence imo, Im voting Labour in the hope the day to day get better for more people who need it throughout Scotland and the UK and I genuinely think theres more chance of that in Scotland under Labour than the SNP at this point in time.

I have voted SNP before and if I ever think they are reallistic about getting independence again or even capable of better government of the day to day I would vote again for them

Edited by ScotiaNostra

18 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

fair enough but voting snp currently wont get independence imo, Im voting Labour in the hope the day to day get better for more people who need it throughout Scotland and the UK and I genuinely think theres more chance of that in Scotland under Labour than the SNP at this point in time.

I have voted SNP before and if I ever think they are reallistic about getting independence again or even capable of better government of the day to day I would vote again for them

What do you think will happen to the Scottish Child Payment under SLAB? A payment that does not exist in England.

9 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

What do you think will happen to the Scottish Child Payment under SLAB? A payment that does not exist in England.

That's the only benefit of a Labour government in Holyrood - they'd highlight just how much better off we currently are.

Although a quick glance at Labour run Wales would be a less painful way to do it.