Midlands League

Marten

image.png.11a64f4c94344849146bc58b7c340168.png

Broughty dropped points for the first time this season with St. James beating them 4-3 in what was clearly the shock of the day. Downfield & Lochee United both had surprisingly convincing wins. Arbroath Vics recovered from what was a very poor set of results for them. As a result, Lochee United have taken over the top position from Broughty as the only remaining unbeaten side in the league.

image.thumb.png.27e16e7e86c515eed188c205a892362a.png

I don't think Strathspey will be on they're own worrying this season, I'm expecting it to be a lot closer at the bottom of the table. Fort William have started well too to add to the mix. 

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Downfield 5-1 Carnoustie Panmure

Sluggish and even first 35-40 minutes but a ball over the top left Panmure stranded and they gave away a clear penalty that was dutifully put away by Downfield. The Spiders doubled the lead before HT with a weird low ball that got past everyone incl. the keeper, with only Liam McCartney keeping up with it and tapping it into the net.

Carnoustie came out with a burst of energy in the 2nd half and Louis Joyce scored with an absolute laser of a shot about 30 yds out to make it 2-1. Joyce would manage another laser later on... though it was a laser straight off a Downfield player's head from a free kick. Not deliberate, but needlessly reckless (kicked before the ref blew and the Spider hadn't taken his yards yet) and was sent off. Downfield took advantage and scored shortly after off a corner where the keeper came out and everyone froze on a well placed but slow second ball in, and later netted a 4th from another blatant penalty. Panmure's keeper made some great saves from the now frequent waves of Downfield attacks to keep the score down, but the Spiders eventually punched in a 5th off another deflected save.

Turned into a good game that was in the balance until that red card, after which Downfield stuck the knife in. Very good result for them, and a massive scalp against the reigning champions.

How did Liam McCartney play? Looked unplayable first have v Lochee then was done in second 

56 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

How did Liam McCartney play? Looked unplayable first have v Lochee then was done in second 

I've seen him play better and yet he got his hat-trick again today. Struggled to break through for the 1st half until he made the first penalty and scored it. Got right into it after and scored his second through sheer persistence. Third goal was another penalty. Could've had more and was a real nuisance to Carnoustie's defence in the 2nd half.

Was also at the Downfield v Carnoustie game. Downfield were dominant though can see Carnoustie are a decent team if that makes sense. McCartney was a menace to Carnoustie defence anytime the ball dropped. Honourable mention to Connor Coupe who got the goal he deserved. The left back for Downfield was very good on the ball slowing down play and good distribution of the ball. 

I seen Downfield at Craigie  3 or 4 weeks ago they edged it 1 nil certain a team that takes a chance when they get it but looked much more convincing today. Looking forward to making a few more midlands league games as a neutral. 

5 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Downfield 5-1 Carnoustie Panmure

Sluggish and even first 35-40 minutes but a ball over the top left Panmure stranded and they gave away a clear penalty that was dutifully put away by Downfield. The Spiders doubled the lead before HT with a weird low ball that got past everyone incl. the keeper, with only Liam McCartney keeping up with it and tapping it into the net.

Carnoustie came out with a burst of energy in the 2nd half and Louis Joyce scored with an absolute laser of a shot about 30 yds out to make it 2-1. Joyce would manage another laser later on... though it was a laser straight off a Downfield player's head from a free kick. Not deliberate, but needlessly reckless (kicked before the ref blew and the Spider hadn't taken his yards yet) and was sent off. Downfield took advantage and scored shortly after off a corner where the keeper came out and everyone froze on a well placed but slow second ball in, and later netted a 4th from another blatant penalty. Panmure's keeper made some great saves from the now frequent waves of Downfield attacks to keep the score down, but the Spiders eventually punched in a 5th off another deflected save.

Turned into a good game that was in the balance until that red card, after which Downfield stuck the knife in. Very good result for them, and a massive scalp against the reigning champions.

Was at the game as a neutral and Joyce's red card decision was possibly one of the worst I've ever seen from a referee.

He was clearly trying to play a quick crossfield ball (downwind) and unfortunately hit the retreating opponent in the back of the napper. It could've easily been diffused without any card.

Carnoustie despite being 2-1 down at the time were probably in the ascendency so who knows how the game would've ended up had they kept 11 on the park.  I was a bit disappointed with Carnoustie on the whole and expected more from them. They appear to have regressed a bit since I last seen them at the tail end of their league winning campaign last season.

Edited by East Coast Cavalier

image.png.35d21099404cfb2cf1e41ef7e2af5a46.png

A day full of goals across the league, 59 in total, nearly 6 a game on average! Convincing wins for Lochee United, Broughty Athletic & North End, Downfield were 0-0 at HT but got the expected 3 points as well. St. James took another big scalp, a few days after beating Broughty, they now beat Carnoustie, who seem to be out of it now. It's still close at the top, Saturday looks promising with Lochee United visiting Tayport while second meets third with Broughty hosting Downfield.

image.thumb.png.24bc1804036d9065019d7b43e388d93f.png

image.png.1e57653a38258fb48986b588bc386b89.png

Another high-scoring afternoon in the Midlands League. Lochee United & Broughty Athletic picked up important & convincing wins, 5-0 at Tayport and 5-1 against Downfield respectively. Both sides are building up a clear lead now. Carnoustie lost again, this time to a last minute goal at home against East Craigie. The bottom of the table clash between Coupar Angus and Forfar United finished in a 4-4 draw.

image.thumb.png.83935614a0f5f1920b0b5918c0fd6cda.png

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I can never find scorers anywhere for the Midland league, only results.  Even the Lochee website doesn't list the scorers!  

They're posted alongside the results on the SJFA website.

McBookie East Region Super League North - Results (scottishjuniorfa.com)

As for Downfield, definitely a gutting result but it seems it was similar to Carnoustie's loss to us last week, where it was close until red cards were involved (in Downfield's case two red cards) and the scoreline grew quickly. Just need to put it out of mind and prepare for another tough game against North End.

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I can never find scorers anywhere for the Midland league, only results.  Even the Lochee website doesn't list the scorers!  

All our scorers are on our Facebook page and all the match details, including line-ups and scorers, on the SJFA website.

Edited by Marten

Last night was weird... a Wednesday without going to watch Lochee United. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

In reality, I'm sure many local players are quite happy to have a break from constantly playing 2 games a week. It makes sense as it's a 20 team league that needs to finish on time, but it's a lot for part-time players. Several teams were starting to get a fair amount of injuries. By the end of August already 11 league games played, quite something!

13 minutes ago, Marten said:

Last night was weird... a Wednesday without going to watch Lochee United. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

In reality, I'm sure many local players are quite happy to have a break from constantly playing 2 games a week. It makes sense as it's a 20 team league that needs to finish on time, but it's a lot for part-time players. Several teams were starting to get a fair amount of injuries. By the end of August already 11 league games played, quite something!

Should it not be split into 2 leagues like the North Juniors?  20 teams with all part time players is wild.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Should it not be split into 2 leagues like the North Juniors?  20 teams with all part time players is wild.

I get your point, but teams also don't fancy 2 leagues of 10, 20 is a bit of an awkward number. In an ideal world, there would be a few new entrants from the amateurs so we could go to 2 x 12 or so.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

2 leagues of 10 would play 36 games , one league of 20 plays 38 games

Even with 2 less games i would say its sensible to use those 5 midweeks. 

There's also the angle of giving more clubs something to play for and keeping games meaningful though, given you can't get relegated out of the Midlands League. The main problem with 10-10 is likely more what happens if you have a couple of clubs go into abeyance and/or promoted to the HL. They need a few more clubs before a split into two divisions could be a stable arrangement that would endure from season to season.