Midlands League

Marten

On 21/01/2024 at 00:29, Bundesliga Boy said:

Is there any talk in Broughty Ferry of the club potentially going for a license in order to participate in the play offs?

I know stadium improvements aren't necessarily the be all and end all, but usually floodlights etc are one of the biggest barriers (finance wise) to acquiring a license.  With it a being a new floodlit ground I was hopeful that the club were being very proactive this year with a view to getting all paperwork etc in order.

If not, here's hoping Lochee Utd can pip them to the title and then the inevitable annihilation against a vey much overmatched Strathspey in the play-off.

They are still some way off a license so it definitely isn't possible this season. Even though they have floodlights, there are plenty of improvements to the ground still needed. It doesn't seem like there are currently any concrete plans to get this done.

13 hours ago, Marten said:

Results last night:
Lochee United 5-0 Forfar West End
Blairgowrie 1-5 Broughty Athetic

No issues for either side.

Connor Coupe another good signing for Lochee. So much strength in depth on those teams.

On 18/12/2023 at 18:49, Bundesliga Boy said:

Do you know if there is a realistic timeframe as to when the two matches v Broughty will at least be announced to be played?

Nearly 6 weeks since I posed this question and still absolutely nothing from the Midlands League.

Looking like a midweek March date at the earliest for the first Lochee Broughty game.  And who knows re the second.

If the league have any sense of theatre they will organise a Saturday Wednesday double header.

Re licensing: nothing official but moves afoot and I'd anticipate Broughty would have the physical infrastructure to achieve licensing in time for end of 25/26. 

21 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Connor Coupe another good signing for Lochee. So much strength in depth on those teams.

Yep, delighted with him. He came on as a sub on Wednesday night and looked good.

16 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Nearly 6 weeks since I posed this question and still absolutely nothing from the Midlands League.

Looking like a midweek March date at the earliest for the first Lochee Broughty game.  And who knows re the second.

Hopefully we'll soon find out...

16 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Saturday 16th March is free for both, and so is 20th April. That's the final day of the Highland League season so in theory the Midlands champion should be decided on that date if there is to be an immediate play-off v HL club 18 on the next two Saturdays (or maybe it gets delayed if either league runs over). That's 25 Wed/Sat matchdays to play Lochee's 18 league + Junior Cup + Inter-regional + East Region cup ties.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If the league have any sense of theatre they will organise a Saturday Wednesday double header.

Re licensing: nothing official but moves afoot and I'd anticipate Broughty would have the physical infrastructure to achieve licensing in time for end of 25/26. 

What's required for the licence to be granted?

That's not something I am familiar with.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Saturday 16th March is free for both, and so is 20th April. That's the final day of the Highland League season so in theory the Midlands champion should be decided on that date if there is to be an immediate play-off v HL club 18 on the next two Saturdays (or maybe it gets delayed if either league runs over). That's 25 Wed/Sat matchdays to play Lochee's 18 league + Junior Cup + Inter-regional + East Region cup ties.

Excellent, thanks for this.

Here's hoping they both go toe to toe till the end to set up a grand stand finish inc potential play off.

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I believe the pyramid agreement is that we have to be finished by the last Saturday in April, so the 27th. We don't have to finish the same day as the HL. So that gives us 27 matchdays. East Region Cup ties often get played at the end of the season anyway, so they likely won't come out of the 27. If we win the league and get to the play-off, I wonder whether or not we will still play in the ER Cup, but time will tell!

Edited by Marten

5 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

What's required for the licence to be granted?

That's not something I am familiar with.

There are ground regs eg floodlights, changing rooms for teams and officials, covered standing etc 

A lot of people seem to think floodlights = license 

Loads in the background that most folk don't consider around legal, healthy and safety, safeguarding and all sorts of other compliance 

On 26/01/2024 at 18:45, Ginaro said:

Lochee Utd v Broughty Ath set for Wed 28th Feb at 19:30.  Should be a cracker and can't wait to attend!

On 27/01/2024 at 00:54, invergowrie arab said:

There are ground regs eg floodlights, changing rooms for teams and officials, covered standing etc 

Was going to say this. Admittedly it’s been a while since I was in the changing rooms there, but if they’re still using the ones in the old clubhouse in the corner I can’t imagine they’d be anywhere near the standard required. And I don’t even see any way they could do much to improve them given the size of the building and the drains / water supply which have historically been an issue. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

February is going to be massive for us. We have 7 games, 4 Saturdays and 3 Wednesdays. We'll play 2 of our 3 games in hand over Broughty and play Broughty themselves. It's going to be very tough, but there will be a better picture of where we stand at the end of the month.

On 27/01/2024 at 00:54, invergowrie arab said:

A lot of people seem to think floodlights = license 

Loads in the background that most folk don't consider around legal, healthy and safety, safeguarding and all sorts of other compliance 

How come existing hfl clubs get away with not having covered standing?

2 hours ago, Edzellcityfan said:

Who doesn’t have a covered enclosure? Pretty sure they all do

I could be mistaken but from memory I don't think Forres, Strathspey, Deveronvale or Fraserburgh have covered standing, though they have very fine main stands.

Formartine and Banks o Dee only have tiny covered standing enclosures.

That's not relevant to licensing though, the regs only require covered "places" for 100 (entry) or 500 (bronze). From 2025 bronze requires at least 100 of the 500 covered places must be seated. There's no requirement to provide covered standing - 100 covered seats is fine.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

I could be mistaken but from memory I don't think Forres, Strathspey, Deveronvale or Fraserburgh have covered standing, though they have very fine main stands.

Formartine and Banks o Dee only have tiny covered standing enclosures.

That's not relevant to licensing though, the regs only require covered "places" for 100 (entry) or 500 (bronze). From 2025 bronze requires at least 100 of the 500 covered places must be seated. There's no requirement to provide covered standing - 100 covered seats is fine.

Now that you mention it, I don't remember standing enclosure at Forres right enough or Strathspey but Fraserburgh have one end entirely covered.

Your explanation on the wording of the licensing regs would make sense that it doesn't have to be standing as both teams mentioned above would definitely have covered ares for 100 or more