Midlands League

Marten

11 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Weird question but if Tayport or more likely Lochee United were to go up, would they still be eligible to compete in their current cup competitions such as the Interregional North-East Regional Cup

I'm not sure to be honest. I assume if we get promoted, we'll be in the Highland League cups. But the clubs have regional cups to compete in as well, so maybe we'd stay in a regional cup as the Aberdeenshire Cup or North of Scotland Cup won't have us obviously?

15 hours ago, Marten said:

I'm not sure to be honest. I assume if we get promoted, we'll be in the Highland League cups. But the clubs have regional cups to compete in as well, so maybe we'd stay in a regional cup as the Aberdeenshire Cup or North of Scotland Cup won't have us obviously?

Brechin only play in the Highland League cup but they've had the SPFL League and Challenge Cups to bother about, as well as the Scottish Cup.

56 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Carnoustie are miles off.

They said they were aiming for a license but no clue if they managed to make any improvements this season. I suppose I'll find out soon enough when we head there.

On 12/03/2024 at 23:04, welshbairn said:

Brechin only play in the Highland League cup but they've had the SPFL League and Challenge Cups to bother about, as well as the Scottish Cup.

Elgin applied for membership of the Aberdeenshire FA and were accepted last year. They are obviously a Moray club and throughout history were members of the North of Scotland FA. I don’t see why a Dundee club could not apply. Different association I know but Montrose Roselea were in the north juniors for several seasons.

15 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Elgin applied for membership of the Aberdeenshire FA and were accepted last year. They are obviously a Moray club and throughout history were members of the North of Scotland FA. I don’t see why a Dundee club could not apply. Different association I know but Montrose Roselea were in the north juniors for several seasons.

I don't see why a Dundee club would want to play in the Aberdeenshire or North Cups, they're not exactly big earners or high status, and there's plenty local cups to stay involved with if they want. I assume Elgin switched to the Aberdeen FA from the North FA for ease of travel.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't see why a Dundee club would want to play in the Aberdeenshire or North Cups, they're not exactly big earners or high status.

Wasn't the plan for Elgin to play in all 3 competitions and basically seen as a way to access the Aberdeenshire League since the NoS one has been mothballed since covid. Basically a structure for their youth/reserves.

Doesn't look like its gone to plan since Elgin don't appear in any of the season's results.

Midlands not having a youth league to go into, that might be a reason for a club to eventually join. Its not like they play a ton of games as it is and could have regional sections. Complete hypothetical and don't see it happening.

28 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Wasn't the plan for Elgin to play in all 3 competitions and basically seen as a way to access the Aberdeenshire League since the NoS one has been mothballed since covid. Basically a structure for their youth/reserves.

Makes sense, some of the North clubs had already stopped funding U20 sides before Covid, and the final season Clach only played 2 fixtures, Elgin won it with 3. That's why Clach put a team into the North Caley, Nairn have pulled theirs to save money.

53 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Doesn't look like its gone to plan since Elgin don't appear in any of the season's results.

Midlands not having a youth league to go into, that might be a reason for a club to eventually join. Its not like they play a ton of games as it is and could have regional sections. Complete hypothetical and don't see it happening.

Elgin have restructured their Academy and will be running 18 and 20 teams next season. I would imagine they would compete in the Aberdeenshire League at least.

Really disappointed that Lochee aren't at least getting a chance to go up, mental that they could lose only one game and still not win the league.  I think they would have been good value in the Highland league and would have freshened things up a bit, its good to see clubs moving up and down.  Broughty winning the league but seemingly not bothering to get their licensing sorted out feels like a proper heel turn.

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Really disappointed that Lochee aren't at least getting a chance to go up, mental that they could lose only one game and still not win the league.  I think they would have been good value in the Highland league and would have freshened things up a bit, its good to see clubs moving up and down.  Broughty winning the league but seemingly not bothering to get their licensing sorted out feels like a proper heel turn.

It's frustrating, I admit Broughty are the better side at the moment, but with them seemingly not bothered about a license, they could continue being the blockers. I'd be happy for them to go up so next season we'd have a better chance.

But it is what it is, a lot of work is going on at Lochee United both on and off the pitch to build for the longer term. Our time will come.

36 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Them's the rules mate unfortunately, no SFA club licence, no promotion.......

20 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Them's the rules mate unfortunately, no SFA club licence, no promotion.......

It's annoying though, clubs happy to be the big boys in a low tier league spend all their cash on players instead of setting some aside to upgrade their grounds, at the expense of ambitious clubs putting the work in to progress. Culter in the North Juniors being another example. 

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's annoying though, clubs happy to be the big boys in a low tier league spend all their cash on players instead of setting some aside to upgrade their grounds, at the expense of ambitious clubs putting the work in to progress. Culter in the North Juniors being another example. 

Yip it certainly is WB,in total agreement with what you've posted .

Don't know what else can be done to prompt "said" big spending clubs to get their licences sorted out.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Broughty and Carnoustie are two clubs that have talked about getting licensed. These things don't necessarily happen over night. The SFA haven't exactly helped by closing the licensing process.