Midlands League

Marten

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Broughty and Carnoustie are two clubs that have talked about getting licensed. These things don't necessarily happen over night. The SFA haven't exactly helped by closing the licensing process.

Is there any word of them opening it up again? The excuse for closing it was the the work they were doing on changing the rules on entry/bronze but that seems to be done. Culter are quite open about having no plans to move towards licensing. 

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's annoying though, clubs happy to be the big boys in a low tier league spend all their cash on players instead of setting some aside to upgrade their grounds, at the expense of ambitious clubs putting the work in to progress. Culter in the North Juniors being another example. 

Of which Broughty aren't one and are actively pursuing upgrading their facilities to facilitate a licensing bid.

Not everything is done in the public domain.

On 12/03/2024 at 22:21, sdr71 said:

Wasn't there a Forfarshire Senior Cup at one point, that could perhaps be revived?

Dear God.  Please don't let this happen.  Thank you.

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Of which Broughty aren't one and are actively pursuing upgrading their facilities to facilitate a licensing bid.

Not everything is done in the public domain.

If they're keeping it a secret why the red dot?

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If they're keeping it a secret why the red dot?

It's not a secret. I know about it and have no involvement with the club, as do plenty others. 

Unlike other clubs in the city they don't feel obliged to do regular updates in the paper though.

The red dot was for posting a rubbish post made in ignorance. The subsequent red dot was for moaning about red dots.

Just noticed Ferguson who I watched is at Hearts B is now at Lochee. Has he got the ability to get back up the leagues? What was the name of the 17year old that signed for Lochee and how is he coping with the physicality of the league?

The "race" for the title pretty much can be sealed up this Wednesday.

Broughty host Lochee at the Quest Arena. Anything other than a win for Lochee, which looks unlikely based off their 3-0 defeat a few weeks back, and the title is heading to the Ferry.

Even if Lochee were to win, they would need Broughty to at least draw once more - and win their remaining games to win the title. Very much an uphill task.

Remaining fixtures:

Spoiler

27 Mar - Broughty Ath vs Lochee Utd

30 Mar - Lochee United vs Lochee Harp (13)
30 Mar - Scone (15) vs Broughty Ath

6 Apr - Letham (10) vs Lochee Utd
6 Apr - Tayport (9) vs Broughty Ath

13 Apr - Lochee Utd vs East Craigie (6)
13 Apr - Lochee Harp (13) vs Broughty Ath 

17 Apr - North End (3) vs Lochee Utd

20 Apr - Downfield (7) vs Lochee Utd
20 Apr - Forfar Utd (20) vs Broughty Ath

24 Apr - Carnoustie Panmure (8) vs Lochee Utd
1 May - Forfar Utd (20) vs Lochee Utd

Realistically, you can't see Broughty dropping any points from now to the end of the season - with Tayport being the only side in the top half they have to face - although they edged them 3-2 at home earlier in the season. While Lochee Utd have 5 of the top 10 sides to face before the end of the season.

No promotion or relegation, but it looks like Broughty Athletic will make their Scottish Cup debut in 2024-25!

8 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

Just noticed Ferguson who I watched is at Hearts B is now at Lochee. Has he got the ability to get back up the leagues? What was the name of the 17year old that signed for Lochee and how is he coping with the physicality of the league?

He now mainly comes on as a sub, he is a good striker, but Kerr Hay is on fire this season and by far the top goal scorer in this league.

Which 17 year old? We had a few young signings recently.

13 hours ago, Marten said:

He now mainly comes on as a sub, he is a good striker, but Kerr Hay is on fire this season and by far the top goal scorer in this league.

Which 17 year old? We had a few young signings recently.

The player I'm thinking of signed around the same time as Bobby Linn from a boys club

Posted (edited)

Broughty Athletic 1-3 Lochee United 

It's not over just yet. Broughty are still firm favourites, especially when looking at the fixtures both sides have. But if we manage to keep winning the pressure would be on Broughty as in that case they can't afford to drop points. 

Edited by Marten

Just back in the house, a very good game that.

Lochee United were well on top in the first half, and really should have been two or three up. Was very much the opposite in the second with Broughty scoring an equaliser and missing several chances. Still don't know how they skied the open goal over the bar.

Felt like it would be a matter of time before the 'Ferry got the winner, but Lochee won a soft penalty with 15 to go, scored by Hay who got the first I think(?), before Bobby Linn scored an excellent team move to kill the game.

Good crowd at the Quest too. Thought there was about 400+ there.

Edited by Ray Patterson

38 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Just back in the house, a very good game that.

Lochee United were well on top in the first half, and really should have been two or three up. Was very much the opposite in the second with Broughty scoring an equaliser and missing several chances. Still don't know how they skied the open goal over the bar.

Felt like it would be a matter of time before the 'Ferry got the winner, but Lochee won a soft penalty with 15 to go, scored by Hay who got the first I think(?), before Bobby Linn scored an excellent team move to kill the game.

Good crowd at the Quest too. Thought there was about 400+ there.

Yes, he did get the first too. That was also his 50th league goal of the season. 

Didn't realise Dundee North End are still in it as well with their 8 games in hand.

Broughty have Scone, Tayport, Lochee Harp, Forfar United all away - win them and Lochee United can't be champions, you'd think Tayport in 9th would be their only difficulty.

15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

New manager bounce for the Port

Here is hoping! It would be great if George Shields puts the title back in our hands. 

I have only seen Tayport once in competitive action this season against Buckie and I thought they competed well against a very good side and missed a sitter to equalise in early second half before eventually getting blown away a bit. 

There is a team there.

There was a lot of mud in the spectator areas on Wednesday night and a few did slip or fall on it, Its the first time I have realised how much work would need to be done there if they did get a licence and move up a level.

On 30/03/2024 at 12:04, realmadrid said:

There was a lot of mud in the spectator areas on Wednesday night and a few did slip or fall on it, Its the first time I have realised how much work would need to be done there if they did get a licence and move up a level.

I almost slipped on my arse earlier in the season there. Wouldn’t take much effort to pave round to the enclosure surely