Midlands League

Marten

Good win for us, having been knocked out of the Scotish Cup & Junior Cup I'd like a nice run in this one, hopefully get a good draw at a North Region ground I haven't been to that if we get through the next round.

On 07/10/2022 at 18:46, welshbairn said:

Any more clubs trying for licencing this year? With Lochee United and Tayport not looking too threatening for the title this season it looks like no Midland team in the playoffs again, if they happen at all. It would be quite funny if Fort William end up bouncing straight back, the BBC documentary makers would come in their pants.

A few seem to be going for licensing but as far as I'm aware, none expect to achieve it this season. There is still a fair bit of work to do at most. Purely going by the ground, Kirrie and Blairgowrie seem the furthest at this stage.

Did Tayport, and Lochee United especially. spend so much on licencing that they blew their player budget for this year? If it's a choice between licencing and competing for the title for a couple of years some clubs might put it off for a bit..

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

No. 

It's not like its some sort of disastrous season for either club.

Tayport have been average for years and Lochee are still in the hunt but probably not going to catch Carnoustie same as last year.

Fair enough. It was Lochee getting pumped 5-1 by Wick in the Cup this year after knocking out Banks O' Dee last year that made me think something was up. Wick got beat 0-8 by BoD last month. The conclusion I drew is probably why I'm so rubbish at gambling

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Fair enough. It was Lochee getting pumped 5-1 by Wick in the Cup this year after knocking out Banks O' Dee last year that made me think something was up. Wick got beat 0-8 by BoD last month. The conclusion I drew is probably why I'm so rubbish at gambling

To further confuse you, Lochee have beaten leaders East Craigie plus Carnoustie and only lost one game, but have drawn more games than anyone else. They are also out the big cups which might help the league.

Carnoustie v Craige on Saturday will be interesting.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Wick game was an odd result for outsiders, but from being at the game I can say that Wick played really well that day. They were determined to put things right after their hiding against BoD. On top of that, Lochee United just had a bad day. Played well for the first 35 minutes but then collapsed. Maybe tiredness of the journey won't have helped, but that doesn't excuse our bad showing. That and Wick's good play resulted in this scoreline. These things happen but I wouldn't read too much into it.

We're not a bad team, but some experienced players retired and the young players are a bit too young still to expect them to carry the team now. Providing we can keep this team together, I think their time will come, it's just a bit too early.

Edited by Marten

I ve a question about this league, the winners of this if licensed play the winners of the North Caledonian league with the winners of that playing off against bottom of Highland league, am I right ?

So in theory in a few years time, Perth could have Letham in the Highland league and Jeanfield Swifts in the Lowland league, would that be allowed to happen ?

I always thought it was the North /South of the Tay being the cut off line but might be wrong .

23 minutes ago, strawman said:

I ve a question about this league, the winners of this if licensed play the winners of the North Caledonian league with the winners of that playing off against bottom of Highland league, am I right ?

So in theory in a few years time, Perth could have Letham in the Highland league and Jeanfield Swifts in the Lowland league, would that be allowed to happen ?

I always thought it was the North /South of the Tay being the cut off line but might be wrong .

Winner if licenced would go into a Tier 6 playoff against any other licenced champions from the North Caledonian and North Region Premiership.

The winner of that playoff, or only licenced champion would then contest a two legged playoff against bottom of the Highland.

There was a fixed boundary between the HL and LL. Although on paper it only really applied to Club 42 from the SPFL when relegated. That has been scrapped and now SPFL2 sides nominate a league they wish to be relegated if they find themselves Club 42.

Which means in theory yes, Letham could be in the Highland and Jeanfield in the Lowland.

16 hours ago, strawman said:

Letham made an application to the East of Scotland and would have joined at tier 9 but due to the distance of the club facilities from the pitch the application was rejected. They were encouraged by the SFA to join the Midland league but with the express condition that in doing so they had to go the highland route should they ever win the Midland league and then the 3 way play off. 

The one detail that has been left out above is that if the club, HL, LL and SPFL don't agree on where Club 42 should be relegated to then the decision is made by the SFA board. The SFA board don't believe in fixed boundaries so elsewhere Threave Rovers from Castle Douglas were able to leave the SoS to join the WoS this season. Doubt we'll ever see Letham in the HL, but Tayport could easily happen at some point given they are already licensed. There's nothing stopping the Midlands League accepting members further south than that at some future point beyond the application of common sense as to what is actually sensible.

That's true, but it's worth noting there is a "gentlemen's agreement" between the EOS & ML that clubs with DD postcodes are directed to the ML, and KY postcodes to the EOS. Only southern Perthshire is a bit of a grey area in that sense, but both leagues are likely to talk to each other if there are new applicants over there. 

Now, legally there is nothing stopping the Midlands League accepting say Inverkeithing, or the EOS accepting Arbroath Vics, but relationships between the ERJFA & EOS are now a lot better than they were a few years ago so I doubt either side would want to jeopardise that for the sake of an applicant that is outside "their area".

On 17/10/2022 at 21:26, Marten said:

Letham will be the furthest away from licensing of all clubs in the league anyway. They'll almost certainly need to move to a different ground if they aim to get a license.

They do plan further changes to 7 Acres, however that's years away and the main focus of the club will remain the community side of things

I get the impression this is as far as they need to go and its certainly good for the young player pathway.

Are there still any plans to split into 2 divisions eventually? Maybe if another 1 or 2 applications come in... 

Some of the previous cannon fodder have turned into really decent teams. Has this been down to playing against the top sides every 2nd week? Or is there more to it than that?