The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McCrorie should be ahead of Kelly regardless of how many games he's playing at club level. If McCrorie was at Motherwell he'd have been in the team a long time ago.

It doesn't seem that likely that's what will happen judging by Steve Clarke's quotes from yesterday (below). It's his career and his choice at the end of the day, so no complaint from me - but Robbie McCrorie is letting a good opportunity go past him sitting on the Ibrox subs bench week in, week out.

It's unfortunate that we lose Angus, but it's going to be a great chance for one of those two boys (Kelly, Clark) to step up and get another cap.

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Nkzdxl6cU

Difficult one to answer really, I don't know whether the 45 minutes will stand them in good stead or not. Obviously one of them's (Kelly, Clark) going to get a chance to play in the games coming up so it's a big camp for them, they know they have to impress. Obviously they've been in a lot of squads so they understand it, they know the expectation around them so hopefully they train well and are ready to play.

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/13002859/scotland-josh-doig-robby-mccrorie-and-anthony-ralston-included-in-injury-depleted-squad-for-final-euro-2024-qualifiers   

The interviewer specifically mentioned those two players so I don't see it as a guarantee that only one of them would start. For me I'd have the order as Clark-McCrorie-Kelly for now, I think Clark is likely the only one that goes to the Euros if Gordon and Gunn are available and nothing dramatic happens with the others.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The interviewer specifically mentioned those two players so I don't see it as a guarantee that only one of them would start. For me I'd have the order as Clark-McCrorie-Kelly for now, I think Clark is likely the only one that goes to the Euros if Gordon and Gunn are available and nothing dramatic happens with the others.

I agree the interviewer maybe closed the question off, but I think Steve Clarke could have brought McCrorie into the discussion if he wanted to. I like McCrorie from the handful of times I've seen him, but I'd be amazed if he played against Georgia and/or Norway. The last time he got game time is approaching 6 months ago (27/05/23).

That said, it's not so important what Clark, Kelly or McCrorie are doing at club level anymore. They made the squad and it will be who shows up best in training and might depend on what the team needs more in terms of kicking, playing out from the back, dealing with crosses and so on.

Edited by 2426255

Out of interest, what would put McCrorie ahead of Kelly? Is he on loan somewhere that I've completely missed?

When he was on loan at us he was only ever as good as average, in fact Kelly's form right now is probably how you could sum up McCrorie's spell with us. Off the top of my head he played against Celtic last season (?) but not sure if I've just missed him playing more often.

19 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Out of interest, what would put McCrorie ahead of Kelly? Is he on loan somewhere that I've completely missed?

When he was on loan at us he was only ever as good as average, in fact Kelly's form right now is probably how you could sum up McCrorie's spell with us. Off the top of my head he played against Celtic last season (?) but not sure if I've just missed him playing more often.

You haven't missed him playing more often. He's played occasionally for the buns over the past few years since Livi and although I thought he did well enough for them he's not managed to get consistent game time - 6 times according to transfermarkt.

Edited by 2426255

I keep saying that Robby is one we have an eye on for the future, but he needs to play matches. He is not doing that just now. I still think that, the age he is, he can be one for the future. Hopefully he starts to get a few more games. It’s a difficult one for me to get involved in because his club decide if he plays week in, week out, or whether he goes on loan. For me, Robby is a good technical goalkeeper. He has good hands and good feet. He saves the ball - which is pretty important for a goalkeeper. The thing you don’t know about Robby, and what he will have to show when he gets a chance to play, is decision making on the pitch. I can’t make a decision on that until I see Robby playing some matches.

Steve Clarke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scotland-boss-steve-clarke-on-the-rangers-situation-that-is-a-difficult-one-for-me-to-get-involved-in-4403074

Either Liam Kelly or Zander Clark will make their competitive debut in Georgia. Clarke will make the decision over who starts the first game of the double-header during next week’s warm-weather training camp in Antalya, en route to Georgia.

He is contemplating playing Kelly in one game and Clark in the other.

The Scotsman

Not sure where the Scotsman are getting the idea that we are contemplating rotating our keepers between games as there aren't quotes attributable to Clarke in that article I linked above. Parallels would be drawn with Arteta at Arsenal on here and in the Scottish media, but I'd see it as a reasonable idea: if he can't decide, then see how they both handle a relatively meaningless competitive game.

Edited by 2426255

• 4 weeks later...

Jeeso.....just catching up on Sportscene.  Liam Kelly has been awful lately and completely flogs St Johnsone's goal at Fir Park.

With Zander Clark looking equally as dodgy (and surely ruling himself out with his performances against Georgia and Norway)

Things are completely desperate and we really must see 1) Gunn keep fitness and form 2) Gordon get into Hearts team and prove he still has it 3) McCrorie get out of Ibrox and get a game somewhere to prove that he is still a goalie and 4) anyone half decent catch Clarke's eye

All our teams have goalkeeping coaches....what on earth have they been doing for the last 10-15 years......who has emerged from and SPFL side and looked half decent in the timeframe....who is coming through?

He looked honking at County midweek and that was absolutely criminal yesterday. It feels like he hasn't come out for a ball in months then he throws himself at something he's got no chance of getting to. I love to see 'Well players appearing for Scotland but I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. 

9 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It feels like he hasn't come out for a ball in months then he throws himself at something he's got no chance of getting to.

Perhaps I've picked you up wrong, but the way you wrote that makes me think you'd like your goalkeeper to come for crosses more. I think it's quite common for goalkeepers not to come for balls at set plays especially. Angus Gunn stays on his line at set plays for Scotland (just from memory) and lets the outfield players deal with it.

You imply it was an error, Kettlewell said it was an error, Kelly thinks it was an error - so I'm happy to accept that although if he hadn't come for it and St Johnstone had scored anyway I wonder if one or two would be saying why didn't Kelly come for it just because that's basically how fanbases tend to work:  on outcomes and with hindsight. I'd be interested to know if the rest of his performance was to a good standard.

20 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Jeeso.....just catching up on Sportscene.  Liam Kelly has been awful lately and completely flogs St Johnsone's goal at Fir Park.

With Zander Clark looking equally as dodgy (and surely ruling himself out with his performances against Georgia and Norway)

Things are completely desperate and we really must see 1) Gunn keep fitness and form 2) Gordon get into Hearts team and prove he still has it 3) McCrorie get out of Ibrox and get a game somewhere to prove that he is still a goalie and 4) anyone half decent catch Clarke's eye

All our teams have goalkeeping coaches....what on earth have they been doing for the last 10-15 years......who has emerged from and SPFL side and looked half decent in the timeframe....who is coming through?

Kelly's having a horrible season at the wrong time and doing nothing to put pressure on the others. Indeed he's been so poor so far this season that my statement he was a certainty to go with Gunn and whichever Hearts keeper is first choice 2nd half of the season unless he was unfit is now looking far from certain.

I'm not sure where the suggestion Clark's "surely ruled himself out" is coming from though. I didn't think he did a whole lot wrong in the Georgia game (and certainly Stevie Clark didn't see enough to leave him out of Norway). He's got caught horribly under the cross for the Norwegian 3rd right enough and he did nothing to suggest he's threatening Gunn or Gordon for the first two spots but he's still our 2nd choice keeper right now (3rd if Gordon gets fit and playing) and likely to remain so unless Kelly turns round his season in 2024 or McCrorie gets himself playing time somewhere.

If Gunn and Gordon are both fit for the Euros I'd look to take the current under 21 goalkeeper or someone who is under 23 with potential. I don't know much about Cieran Slicker at Ipswich on loan from Man City but someone along those lines rather than any of Clark, Kelly or McRorie. The 3rd choice keeper is extremely unlikely to play so it is worthwhile having a longer term option there. Steve Clark wont do that as he is very loyal to his players and I can't criticise that.

51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure where the suggestion Clark's "surely ruled himself out" is coming from though. I didn't think he did a whole lot wrong in the Georgia game (and certainly Stevie Clark didn't see enough to leave him out of Norway). He's got caught horribly under the cross for the Norwegian 3rd right enough and he did nothing to suggest he's threatening Gunn or Gordon for the first two spots but he's still our 2nd choice keeper right now (3rd if Gordon gets fit and playing) and likely to remain so unless Kelly turns round his season in 2024 or McCrorie gets himself playing time somewhere.

Zander Clark's a good 3rd choice for Scotland. I don't think he "ruled himself out" during the international break. It's clear you'll concede more goals and see more errors with Clark or Kelly than with Gordon or Gunn, but that's normal with backup goalkeepers is it not? What are folk wanting exactly? The third choice keeper is generally not going to be the same quality as the first or second choice.

Fuss over nothing in my opinion. We have two good goalkeepers ahead of him and he's a decent enough stand in as 3rd choice if needed.

40 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I'd look to take the current under 21 goalkeeper or someone who is under 23 with potential. I don't know much about Cieran Slicker at Ipswich on loan from Man City but someone along those lines rather than any of Clark, Kelly or McRorie. The 3rd choice keeper is extremely unlikely to play so it is worthwhile having a longer term option there.

Steve Clarke views Robbie McCrorie as the younger keeper with potential. I think that's reasonable given the extended careers goalkeeper enjoy. Clarke said this ahead of the Georgia game in November.

I keep saying that Robby is one we have an eye on for the future, but he needs to play matches. He is not doing that just now. I still think that, the age he is, he can be one for the future. 

Steve Clarke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scotland-boss-steve-clarke-on-the-rangers-situation-that-is-a-difficult-one-for-me-to-get-involved-in-4403074

2 hours ago, ahemps said:

If Gunn and Gordon are both fit for the Euros I'd look to take the current under 21 goalkeeper or someone who is under 23 with potential. I don't know much about Cieran Slicker at Ipswich on loan from Man City but someone along those lines rather than any of Clark, Kelly or McRorie. The 3rd choice keeper is extremely unlikely to play so it is worthwhile having a longer term option there. Steve Clark wont do that as he is very loyal to his players and I can't criticise that.

Slicker isn't actually on loan, he's left City and is an Ipswich player. Seems to be the third choice there, but he's young, and based on what I've seen of him for the u-21s, he's a very good prospect. Barring some miraculous promotion to being Ipswich's #1 in the very near future, I can't see him making the Euros squad.

One to watch though, for sure.

ETA: It seems that, if Wikipedia is to be believed, all of Ipswich's other three first-team keepers are out of contract at the end of this season.

Edited by Alan Twelve

• 1 month later...

Rumoured that Craig Gordon will start for Hearts Vs Spartans in the Scottish Cup this lunchtime.

Quite an important moment for him and for the GK situation with the national team. 🤞🏼 he has a steady 90 mins and begins to rebuild his strength & match sharpness

Gorddon playing earlier and McCrorie starting for Rangers (hope this prompts someone to take him on loan in next couple of weeks to ensure he gets first team football - he could be the future but as things stand we have no idea)

I don't know if he'll win back the number one spot for club or country, but I think there needs to be some appreciation of Gordon's professionalism and determination to get himself back into a condition to be playing first team football again.  At his age and after that appalling injury, it really does speak volumes for his character that he's fought his way back when he could very easily have called it a day instead and nobody would have blamed him for it. 

Remains to be seen if he'll earn another cap, but he's earned a lot of respect.