Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

11 minutes ago, velo army said:

As a collection of players (perhaps Gordon aside) this Newcastle team is immensely likeable. They've managed to maintain a northern flavour with lads like Burn and Longstaff as well as Tripper. Miguel Almiron always plays like he's having a ball. 

Obviously the ownership is awful, but I like this team.

So...you're nominating yourself for a Head's Gone for liking Newcastle?

36 minutes ago, velo army said:

This for me.

It did used to definitely mean gypsies, or travellers, but now it's just used to mean someone unclean and lower class. My flatmate used to use it to describe certain neighbours as they would leave old appliances outside or somesuch. There was never any suggestion he thought they were travellers. I never enjoyed the term as it's obviously punching down however you look at it.

Do you not see how that’s still really, really problematic and racist - that’s its new meaning is directly related to racist stereotypes and views about travellers? 

28 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

So...you're nominating yourself for a Head's Gone for liking Newcastle?

f**k sake. I thought I'd clicked on the "unpopular opinions" thread.

My head has obviously long since gone 🤣

1 hour ago, velo army said:

This for me.

It did used to definitely mean gypsies, or travellers, but now it's just used to mean someone unclean and lower class. My flatmate used to use it to describe certain neighbours as they would leave old appliances outside or somesuch. There was never any suggestion he thought they were travellers. I never enjoyed the term as it's obviously punching down however you look at it.

In my youth lots of people (including myself) would throw around the term "poof" but rarely was the receiver of this insult being called gay. It doesn't really matter what folk think it means in their head, the original meaning is derogatory and just because someone has hijaked the term to punch down at a different group doesn't make it fine.

46 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I might be able to put some work your way. My driveway and gutters need done. I'll need a receipt though, you just sign it, I'll fill it in.

This is what I mean. Stereotyping a race to be con artists who only perform certain tasks, and passing it off as 'bantz'. Pretty poor from you @Sergeant Wilson.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think if people object to certain language being used, it would help if they explained why instead of being a pompous twat about it, especially when it's a word in common use quite innocently.

Sure, but NavyBlueArmy1876 has now had it explained then in response has doubled down on it and lashed out at the person who objected to it. That's no longer accidental insensitivity from not being aware of the origins of the term, it's just being unashamedly racist.

20 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This is what I mean. Stereotyping a race to be con artists who only perform certain tasks, and passing it off as 'bantz'. Pretty poor from you @Sergeant Wilson.

Just so I’m clear, which ‘race’ are you referring to?

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Are all travellers gypsies?  Is traveller and gypsy synonymous?

ETA is gypsy a race?

Yes, Romani Gypsies are a race. Most Travellers have in some way Romani Gypsy ancestry. They started in India, then travelled to Egypt, then onto Europe. It was the time in Egypt that gave them the 'Gypsy' name.

23 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Sure, but NavyBlueArmy1876 has now had it explained then in response has doubled down on it and lashed out at the person who objected to it. That's no longer accidental insensitivity from not being aware of the origins of the term, it's just being unashamedly racist.

When he originally used it he was being flippant about Fifers as Falkirk fans tend to do on a football thread. It was leapt upon by a Hamilton fan who shrieked "RACIST!". Several posters weren't sure whether he meant the "F" word or the "T" word, a calm explanation of why t**k is a racial slur that shouldn't be used would likely have elicited a calmer response from @NavyBlueArmy1876.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yes, Romani Gypsies are a race. Most Travellers have in some way Romani Gypsy ancestry. They started in India, then travelled to Egypt, then onto Europe. It was the time in Egypt that gave them the 'Gypsy' name.

Do you think Irish Travellers mostly have Romani heritage or are they a distinct group?

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Borderline, I’d say. The term “race” is used for groups with similar biological and physical traits…”ethnic” groups are based upon cultural expression and place of origin, hence Travellers being a clear ethnic group.. The way you are using with Romani Gypsies, seems to be mostly ethnic vs racial, but without some digging I can’t rule out biological/physical differentiation sufficient to meet the racial definition.

As a bonus, that would put people with six fingers as a racial group, for what that’s worth.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

That’s seems a highly qualified statement.  Can’t say I’ve encountered many travellers in my time but none of them looked to be of Indian origin.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

That’s seems a highly qualified statement.  Can’t say I’ve encountered many travellers in my time but none of them looked to be of Indian origin.

You probably don't look like you originated in Africa either.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When he originally used it he was being flippant about Fifers as Falkirk fans tend to do on a football thread. It was leapt upon by a Hamilton fan who shrieked "RACIST!". Several posters weren't sure whether he meant the "F" word or the "T" word, a calm explanation of why t**k is a racial slur that shouldn't be used would likely have elicited a calmer response from @NavyBlueArmy1876.

I find that very hard to believe given their subsequent post on this thread and the reaction from them and other Falkirk fans to a calm explanation from another poster last year.