The Fantastic Excuses Thread

Went on a several day bender when I was 18 or 19, didn’t bother calling in sick and turned up expecting the sack. When pushed I said I’d found out my missus was pregnant and panicked. Ended up getting a few months of pretty much unlimited overtime, before I had to quit and find a new job because I couldn’t continue the lie!

When I worked in Tesco in my student days, it was the policy that you had to give at least 2 hours notice if phoning in sick.

One of my mates was due in on a Sunday morning and phoned in sick about half an hour before he was due to start. The reason he gave was that he was "up all night" with sickness and the shits. When the duty manager asked why he was only giving half an hours notice his reason was that he had been sleeping.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

When I worked in Tesco in my student days, it was the policy that you had to give at least 2 hours notice if phoning in sick.

One of my mates was due in on a Sunday morning and phoned in sick about half an hour before he was due to start. The reason he gave was that he was "up all night" with sickness and the shits. When the duty manager asked why he was only giving half an hours notice his reason was that he had been sleeping.

To be fair, he must have been tired after being up all night. 

12 hours ago, supermik said:

Did the dots at the end give it away? You appear to have an unhealthy obsession with me. Was it your cheddar and milk that I purloined?

Hang on, you nicked the poor sod's milk as well? That's definitely scummy behaviour. Not up there with Prince Andrew, granted, but definitely a thumbs down.

It's worst when the fantastic excuse is actually the truth, but also a trope - I'm sure there are some folk whose dog actually DID eat their homework for example.

In a similar vein, one time I was walking out of the Edinburgh Playhouse after a gig talking to somebody...I said goodbye at the top of the steps and went to go in the opposite direction...BAM!...straight into a lamp post. Gave myself a big comedy black eye, which for the next week or more resulted in dozens of variations of the following:

"Oof...how'd you get that then?"

"Walked into a lamp post..."

"Naw, seriously...who were you fighting with...?"

1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

Didn’t Alex Ferguson blame a defeat at Southampton on Man Utd’s shirts being the wrong colour?

53 minutes ago, hk blues said:

IIRC they changed at half-time

They did. Of course it wasn't a total loss, it was one more replica shirt to flog to the Londoners.

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

Went on a several day bender when I was 18 or 19, didn’t bother calling in sick and turned up expecting the sack. When pushed I said I’d found out my missus was pregnant and panicked. Ended up getting a few months of pretty much unlimited overtime, before I had to quit and find a new job because I couldn’t continue the lie!

A former mate of mine did this and then scored an extra sickie when she "miscarried" 

A former mate of mine did this and then scored an extra sickie when she "miscarried" 

Know a guy who did similar in his final year at uni. Missed his last 2 exams due to being an absolute mess with the drugs, for several months, with his bird at the time. Went to the doctor and got diagnosed with depression due to the “miscarriage”. To be fair, he was an absolute mess at the time but pulled that one out of thin air. He ended up getting predicted grades and now works for one of the big 4 finance firms.

I got an extension on an essay in 2nd year psychology at uni by claiming my uncle was in hospital with e-coli from the Wishaw outbreak, much to the chagrin of my also Lanarkshire based flatmate who sat up all night and blasted the same essay while I sank some well earned cans in the next room. 

I went on to fail that course while he now has a related PhD and a big Psychology job. 

There's a lesson in there somewhere. 

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I got an extension on an essay in 2nd year psychology at uni by claiming my uncle was in hospital with e-coli from the Wishaw outbreak, much to the chagrin of my also Lanarkshire based flatmate who sat up all night and blasted the same essay while I sank some well earned cans in the next room. 

I went on to fail that course while he now has a related PhD and a big Psychology job. 

There's a lesson in there somewhere. 

How does it make you feel?

44 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

How does it make you feel?

At the time: fucking brilliant - one nil

At the end of the year - like a fucking tool. One all

Now:  Got my degree anyway and didn't need psychology 🤷‍♂️ 

So all round playing the long game, a solid victory for me 

17 minutes ago, madwullie said:

At the time: fucking brilliant - one nil

At the end of the year - like a fucking tool. One all

Now:  Got my degree anyway and didn't need psychology 🤷‍♂️