European Super League.

Lofarl

Celtic already ruling themselves out of participation in the Blue League............just cos.....

Waiting for confirmation if Aberdeen will get priority boarding into Star League as they have twice as many stars as any other Scottish team.

Hibs miss out on the Gold league after the passing of Lex

Is this how it works.....?

"Fans would also be able to watch live matches for free on a new digital streaming platform."

So they'll just write off the billions they'll presumably have to give to each club? Ticket sales and shirt sales alone won't cover the sums needed, neither will bidding for individual games, etc. And for what? Just more sportswashing? What are this A22 group hoping to get from it?

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

"Fans would also be able to watch live matches for free on a new digital streaming platform."

So they'll just write off the billions they'll presumably have to give to each club? Ticket sales and shirt sales alone won't cover the sums needed, neither will bidding for individual games, etc. And for what? Just more sportswashing? What are this A22 group hoping to get from it?

Can't imagine the likes of Sky happy that a new rival league is free either.  Havent they just signed up a big deal with English fitba.

With the number of teams proposed  I can only assume this will be the death knell for domestic leagues as we know it (apart from Scotland where there may well be a competitive domestic league for a change once the old and infirm inevitably move on to this nonsense)

Can only imagine anything involving 64 european teams is looking to involve at least 8 of the "big" teams from the major leagues.....and potentially only one from the Highland League?

What a bunch of vermin. Especially Barcelona, a hundred years spreading that "More Than A Club" bullshit, they couldn't wait to sell their soul to most odious bidder.

At least Real Madrid and Juventus have never pretended not to be massive twats.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I think from my basic understanding of what the model will look like as it stands. Man utd for example can qualify for this tournament in its first year. The next year be relegated from the premiership but could still be in the top league of european competition the following year and stay there no matter where the are domestically?

They would be better just scrapping domestic leagues and use them as feeder leagues into a european league played at weekends sitting at the top of the pyramid rather than replacing the champs/europa/conference league.

"The bottom 20 teams in the Blue league would be relegated from the competition entirely and replaced by the top-performing clubs from European domestic leagues."

Lose your first three or so games in this 32 team division and it is pretty clear that you ar going to get relegated (20 out of 32 teams!!) there will be an unprecendented number of meanignless games.  Say Aberdeen get into th Blue league courtesy of winning the Scottish league (in the absence of Celtic and Rangers in the first year who will likely get parachuted into this bottom tier - and face relegation immediately.....) I could see them playing away to Helsinki on a Saturday then a mid-week game at FC Plovdiv on the Tuesday followed by a home glamour tie v Quarabag.

It's ill thought out nonsense and those creating this only really care for the top tier (Star league....hoho) the Gold and Blue leagues are a sop to the teams who would never make the top tier (hence only 2 relegated as opposed to 20 from the bottom tier) 

I am convince this European Super League will include Saudi Arabia

4 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I think from my basic understanding of what the model will look like as it stands. Man utd for example can qualify for this tournament in its first year. The next year be relegated from the premiership but could still be in the top league of european competition the following year and stay there no matter where the are domestically?

They would be better just scrapping domestic leagues and use them as feeder leagues into a european league played at weekends sitting at the top of the pyramid rather than replacing the champs/europa/conference league.

I assumed that you would only participate in the European league as the top tier has 16 teams (home and away?) then a knock out competition for the top 8.  Domestic leagues will be feeder leagues for this nonsense as 20 (twenty) teams get relegated from the bottom tier - allowing 20 new teams to enter (for one year only in all likelihood)

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

I assumed that you would only participate in the European league as the top tier has 16 teams (home and away?) then a knock out competition for the top 8.  Domestic leagues will be feeder leagues for this nonsense as 20 (twenty) teams get relegated from the bottom tier - allowing 20 new teams to enter (for one year only in all likelihood)

maybe I am wrong - "Matches would be played in midweek, allowing the new competition to be run in tandem with European domestic leagues."  Hopefully a similar backlash to this proposal to the previous oine a couple of years ago.....

27 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I picked it up the same way as your second post Caledonia although they havnt actually confirmed either way I dont think

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

45 minutes ago, EH75 said:

The "star league" and the "gold league"? I refuse to have any interest in it purely based on that. All the money in the world and that's the best they can come up with. 

Genuinely sounds like Mario Football

45 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Celtic already ruling themselves out of participation in the Blue League............just cos.....

Waiting for confirmation if Aberdeen will get priority boarding into Star League as they have twice as many stars as any other Scottish team.

Hibs miss out on the Gold league after the passing of Lex

Is this how it works.....?

Aye right ! 

I fully expect knickers will be dropped and a very large green and blue coloured arse will be getting wafted in the direction of this new set up within hours.

Tbh we're only getting ESL propaganda thusfar. They didn't actually "win".

Still it's clear this remains the 16 club ESL they always wanted plus maybe the next 16 below... hence just 2-up-2-down between these, and with the level below.

Bottom rung of 32 clubs but with 20 being refreshed each season clearly just a sop to give a veneer of widespread access.

Of course the rest of football would be left trying to run some UEFA competition off poor TV deals and sponsorship.

34 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm sure the commitment to only play games in midweek and show games for free would last all of a couple of years. Once they'd established a dominant position they'd start turning the screw.

37 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

With the number of teams proposed  I can only assume this will be the death knell for domestic leagues as we know it (apart from Scotland where there may well be a competitive domestic league for a change once the old and infirm inevitably move on to this nonsense)

They'd continue to contest Scottish Premiership (and it'd be their wildcard to stay up if ever came bottom 20).

Even if it ultimately superseded domestic football you're also deluding yourself if you think they wouldn't leave powerful B-teams behind in Premiership/Scottish Cup/etc. - almost certainly with SFA+SPFL support.

I'm a bit surprised at how many naive suckers they've got lining up to claim the clubs simply cannot go against the fans etc. Do they not get that fans who attend matches are nowhere near the priority of European elite clubs? And the number of genuine fans of these clubs who would take a stand and boycott (the ones that might deserve some sympathy) are a small subset. 

If this is coming up again, it's because those in control be it the money men or the clubs, now feel they have their ducks in a row. 

Let it happen. There's very little left on the surface of the veneer that top level football is fair/competitve/merit based. Some folk are clinging onto that, but football itself has long since given itself up to the money. Let it go and we'll see where everything lands. If you want to watch their nonsense league, by all means, crack on. If not, maybe find a local team and support them. 

I saw Dave Cormacks statement. He really does love the limelight and the sound of his own voice.

There may be a new European League but so far Bayern Munich and Man Utd have said NAH. So maybe the bold Dave is talking shite again…..

Even if UEFA change the current competitions to adapt to a more league like structure and more games. It will still run alongside domestic leagues.

There is probably a 50/50 split in terms of supporters in Euro league for top 2,3,4 teams v the rest. I just would not be interested in anything that gives the bigger clubs more money. UEFA competitions are already highly stacked v the smaller clubs with seedings and fall back options for bigger clubs dropping down competitions even when they lose. Another step towards an even more elite club like that and there would be a huge backlash. Even more than there was before when this Super League was first suggested. 

Edited by welldaft

16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

TThey'd continue to contest Scottish Premiership (and it'd be their wildcard to stay up if ever came bottom 20).

Even if it ultimately superseded domestic football you're also deluding yourself if you think they wouldn't leave powerful B-teams behind in Premiership/Scottish Cup/etc. - almost certainly with SFA+SPFL support.

Exactly and with more than double the income now from the ESL, they can afford to spend millions on a second srting squad more than capable of maintaining the gap to everyone else and keep their duopoly. Big bucks can then be spend on second rate foreigners who will be over priced and over paid just for a change to be part of the ESL and get that move to a 'big' team.

All a bit, meet the new boss, same as the old boss kind of vibes to it all with regards to the Scottish game.