European Super League.

Lofarl

• 3 months later...
On 01/08/2023 at 13:55, ahemps said:

Does the Saudi league and the money they are now paying mean this European Superleague will rear it's head again within a few years?

If not sooner, I'm sure that's what it's all about.

Was listening to an interesting point of view on a podcast yesterday - basically it's not so bad for the English Premier League, as they can use the Saudi league as a way to jettison second-choice players (Henderson, Saint-Maximin, half of Chelsea). But in Serie A, the Saudis are taking away teams' main players. When you get to the real elite in their prime (MBappe, Salah, Haaland et al), they're not really willing to touch it. 

Which might sort of leave us where we were already were with the Euro Super League - non EPL teams begging for it as a way of trying to catch up/keep pace,  but EPL teams saying 'we don't really see the problem'.  

• 1 month later...

Aside from the shite name and ridiculous number of games, it will turn European football into even more of a closed shop than it is now.

Remove the financial benefit of qualifying for the UCL or UEL Group Stage and European Football is absolutely broken now beyond repair.

Looking at the FIFA international match calendar for 2027, the international breaks are the bog standard.

In World Cup/EURO years the June window can stretch back into May, so that's probably when the league would have to wrap up.

So, from June 1 - End of July, + another 4 weeks knocked out by Internationals, already down to 43 weeks worth of football.

34 Games would fit very nicely, potential for a Cup (in the form of the Champions League, perhaps), and leaves plenty to spare.

If they were to run it alongside Domestic leagues - lets say England with 38 - that rises to 72, + FA and League Cup, that's 80-odd games, assuming they go to the end. I don't see players coping with that.

That's Football Manager style pish.

Also, would the really shite teams in the 'Aspiring League' (horrific name) be punted back to their domestic leagues, with the top dog in that league being hauled up, presumably kicking and screaming, or are they just kept in by the UEFA Safety Net, aspiring to maybe not be so shite.

31 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Looking at the FIFA international match calendar for 2027, the international breaks are the bog standard.

In World Cup/EURO years the June window can stretch back into May, so that's probably when the league would have to wrap up.

So, from June 1 - End of July, + another 4 weeks knocked out by Internationals, already down to 43 weeks worth of football.

34 Games would fit very nicely, potential for a Cup (in the form of the Champions League, perhaps), and leaves plenty to spare.

If they were to run it alongside Domestic leagues - lets say England with 38 - that rises to 72, + FA and League Cup, that's 80-odd games, assuming they go to the end. I don't see players coping with that.

That's Football Manager style pish.

Also, would the really shite teams in the 'Aspiring League' (horrific name) be punted back to their domestic leagues, with the top dog in that league being hauled up, presumably kicking and screaming, or are they just kept in by the UEFA Safety Net, aspiring to maybe not be so shite.

i’d assume the winner of whatever the top competition for  clubs outside the “big 54” is would go up

this would mean national leagues wouldn’t know how many teams they’re going to have to make room for 

so Celtic getting relegated would suddenly mean the promotion play offs are all cancelled all the way down

• 2 months later...

From the independent

Here’s the pertinent part of the ruling handed down by the ECJ, determining that Uefa and Fifa are in breach of competition law and the freedom to provide services by requiring prior approval of a European Super League.

“The FIFA and UEFA rules on prior approval of interclub football competitions, such as the Super League, are contrary to EU law. They are contrary to competition law and the freedom to provide services

“The FIFA and UEFA rules making any new interclub football project subject to their prior approval, such as the Super League, and prohibiting clubs and players from playing in those competitions, are unlawful. There is no framework for the FIFA and UEFA rules ensuring that they are transparent, objective, non-discriminatory and proportionate.

“Similarly, the rules giving FIFA and UEFA exclusive control over the commercial exploitation of the rights related to those competitions are such as to restrict competition, given their importance for the media, consumers and television viewers in the European Union.”

46 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The Super League has won a partial victory in its case - UEFA and FIFA acted unlawfully. 

They did not rule on whether the Super League should be allowed to proceed but the door is open again. 

There's absolutely nothing to stop the super league going ahead.  This sticking point is whether or not players taking part can take part in UEFA and FIFA competitions.  

I don't think there's any doubt it'll happen now.  Games will be played all over the world and the whole thing will be run by the Saudi or Qatari royal family.

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

There's absolutely nothing to stop the super league going ahead.  This sticking point is whether or not players taking part can take part in UEFA and FIFA competitions.  

I don't think there's any doubt it'll happen now.  Games will be played all over the world and the whole thing will be run by the Saudi or Qatari royal family.

FIFA and UEFA can threaten that but they won't enforce it and if they do just look at golf and LIV and the mess it is getting in. The PGA is going to have to allow the LIV players in or they are going to diminish their own competitions and lose sponsor money.

36 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

At this point I'd like them to just get on with it. Don't bother with daft intermediary stages like the changes they're making to the comps from next season.

Just get on with it, and let the other clubs come up with a viable plan for the future.

Yes I agree, this is the eventual outcome so lets just hurry up with it.

46 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

At this point I'd like them to just get on with it. Don't bother with daft intermediary stages like the changes they're making to the comps from next season.

Just get on with it, and let the other clubs come up with a viable plan for the future.

This is where I’ve been for some time now. Something like this is going to happen eventually, so just let the elite f**k off and the rest of us can get on with it. Outwith games involving Celtic and Rangers, I’ve not really been interested in the Champions League for quite a few years anyway. 

Edited by PSJ.84