European Super League.

Lofarl

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

AC Milan won the CL in 2003 and 2007 and were runners-up in 2005. They've won the second highest number of European Cups/CL's of any club. They're a massive club.

ok, i got the decade wrong but this is my point, it is has been over 10 years since Milan were relevant on the European stage. The have been floating around midtable in Italy since 2012

3 hours ago, Binos said:

Atletico...ok I'll give you them?

Their nickname is the mattresses as they spent most of their history propping up the rest of the division

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't let recent history fool you. Chelsea and Man City aren't big clubs. They are two lucky clubs who happened upon lottery wins in the form of owners with no concept of money. Somewhere out there in the multiverse, both are still scrambling around the bottom half of the league whilst similarly unfashionable clubs like Crystal Palace and Birmingham City with their billions get invited in.

Everton and Leeds are bigger clubs than both of them.

This competition is nothing to do with history, it is about big clubs now and the unfortuantly Man City, Chelsea  and Atletico meet that criteria. Arsenal and Spurs dream of being big clubs but are probably only being added to make  up the numbers or as @RandomGuy. says to give  derby feel to some of the games.

32 minutes ago, The Master said:

Celtic and (The) Rangers would never go for that because only one could be promoted which hands the other the following season’s Scottish title on a plate. 

Disagree slightly I think both would jump at the chance initially, but yeah the problem might be how long the fans would accept going trophyless, or more especially playing in a competition where they lose more often than they win.

Edited by btb

6 minutes ago, steelmen said:

ok, i got the decade wrong but this is my point, it is has been over 10 years since Milan were relevant on the European stage. The have been floating around midtable in Italy since 2012

This competition is nothing to do with history, it is about big clubs now and the unfortuantly Man City, Chelsea  and Atletico meet that criteria. Arsenal and Spurs dream of being big clubs but are probably only being added to make  up the numbers or as @RandomGuy. says to give  derby feel to some of the games.

So its been over ten years since they won, for the seventh time, a competition that Man City and Atletico Madrid have never won. And that makes them not a big club, whereas Man City and Atletico are. Right then.

Has anyone said what JP Morgan is getting out of this?

The Billions in grants is obviously great for the financially stricken clubs involved but what are they giving up in the long term? Does JP Morgan own a stake in the league, do they have commercial rights etc.

They aren't doing this out the goodness of their heart. And they aren't spending billions without a plan to get a significant return on that investment.

3 minutes ago, btb said:

Disagree slightly I think both would jump at the chance initially, but yeah the problem might be how long the fans would accept going trophyless, or more especially playing in a competition where they lose more often than they win.

Both the cheeks would bite your hand off to go into the various diddy teams left to make up the Atlantic League, Super League 2. Where they would be regularly pumped by Slavia, Legia, Basel and Dundalk.

37 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I actually think a UEFA super league is inevitable unfortunately but it should be played instead of the domestic league and 100% not a closed shop.

Personally if I was going to draw one up in future I’d go for something like this.

ESL 1 - 20 Clubs (3 relegation spots)
ESL 2 - 20 Clubs (4 relegation spots)

Below would be the leagues of the Individual countries. Each season the Champions of each nation would complete in a knock out tournament (like the old European Cup) with the final 4 being promoted to ESL 2.

Far from perfect and probably full of holes but at least it’d give the big sides what they want while giving your Celtics, Ajax’s and Galatasaray or any other club for that matter a chance to move into it.

Are you allowing all 54 or 55 European leagues to compete for a place? Be some hell of an end of season tournament if so. 

What happens when a few years down the line no English/Spanish/Italian teams have been relegated from the ESL2 back to their domestic leagues? 

What happens if one season 3 English teams are relegated? Are championship clubs then denied promotion or do relegated esl clubs go to the bottom of their domestic pyramid? 

Too many issues for it to work unless you start with a closed shop imo.

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The Billions in grants is obviously great for the financially stricken clubs involved but what are they giving up in the long term? Does JP Morgan own a stake in the league, do they have commercial rights etc.

They aren't doing this out the goodness of their heart. And they aren't spending billions without a plan to get a significant return on that investment.

If they are successful they will have a 1000 year Reich to suck profit out of. 

JP Morgan also set up the Manchester United deal for the Glazers and have made a fortune from that. Woodward is a former executive.

It's American financial capital taking over European football. 

Edited by Detournement

13 minutes ago, steelmen said:

The point is how can you draw a line and say these are the big clubs

Give it 2 years and Leicester were on track of replacing, Tottenham, arsenal as one of the big clubs

How big would Newcastle be if the saudi takeover had been allowed

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

They must be in for a cut of the broadcast revenues 

Are you allowing all 54 or 55 European leagues to compete for a place? Be some hell of an end of season tournament if so. 
What happens when a few years down the line no English/Spanish/Italian teams have been relegated from the ESL2 back to their domestic leagues? 
What happens if one season 3 English teams are relegated? Are championship clubs then denied promotion or do relegated esl clubs go to the bottom of their domestic pyramid? 
Too many issues for it to work unless you start with a closed shop imo.

The idea was to run the knockout as current UCL so you’d have to win the league then the next season you’d be in the knockout contest promoted the season after. As I said was just trying to think of an idea to get round the closed shop, as you say there’s loads of issues no matter how you do it closed shop or open. Unfortunately football has been destroyed by money and greed over the years at every level.

What would happen with transfers? Will uefa try and stop transfers between leagues and the ESL?

Depends on current power play if UEFA and FIFA won’t play ball, in theory any coach, player or official that plays in the ESL would be black listed by FIFA / UEFA so no transfers.

4 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Depends on current power play if UEFA and FIFA won’t play ball, in theory any coach, player or official that plays in the ESL would be black listed by FIFA / UEFA so no transfers.

2 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
4 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Depends on current power play if UEFA and FIFA won’t play ball, in theory any coach, player or official that plays in the ESL would be black listed by FIFA / UEFA

Yeah and if that happens then the league can't last

Yeah, rising superstar signs for a ESL club, can’t hack it then frozen out of football.

I think the league will happen. They have obviously gone far further with it than they ever have. I honestly don't give much of a shit but its interesting to see how it will pan out. Will be massively surprised if the leagues kick the teams out completely though. The champions league will continue and it will give smaller teams a chance in that but money will be severely reduced