United Kingdom Or Great Britain Premier Soccer League

I do not support a United Kingdom or Great Britain Premier Soccer League. I also do not support Celtic and Rangers joining the English leagues. It would be humiliating for Scotland.

We keep hearing that it would be a good idea, for Scottish football. But it would destroy the national identity of Scotland.

Losing the Scottish League would be a disaster for the status of Scotland as a nation.

I am not anti-English, but I hate it when people think Scotland is just a part of England. If our biggest clubs played in the English League people would go back to thinking Scotland is like Yorkshire or Devon.

Even if we just merged our leagues together. I would be against that.

People would think that the UK league was just a continuation of the English League. So all the trophies English clubs had won would be counted as real trophies. While all the domestic trophies that Scottish sides had won would be counted as non-league trophies of no national status.

So all our club’s histories would relegated to that of the status of winning a non-league trophy.

Also

1) I have met English people who think that it would be unfair if a UK league was created to put any Scottish clubs in a UK Premier. They really think it is fair that all the Premier teams would just be only who would have been in the English Premier.

Many of these people even think that if there was  UK League, then the Scottish sides should have to start in tier 5 or lower. That is just ludicrous. That is not a league merger. It is a humiliating annexation.

If there was a UK League then the Scots should have two teams in the premier and two teams in the championship and two teams in League One, and two teams in League Two, as the reflective population would account for.

Another problem with a UK League is the enormous travel involved. A Scottish club could be stuck in a league of no Scottish teams, where they were travelling many 800 miles each two weeks.

Many of the Scottish clubs who are significant forces in Scottish football might be stuck below the 5th tier for decades, travelling nearly a 1000 miles each week. How would that be progress?

I think preferable options for Scotland are cross border cups. On top of Scottish domestic and UEFA competitions.

Ideas like a Celtic Club Cup could be tried. Where all Scottish Premier sides play selected sides from Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Cornwall.

That way long travels would be kept as a enjoyable novelty.

We could have trophies with teams from other European countries.

But a UK League would be impractical, for Scottish sides. It would humiliate Scotland. It could be decades before a Scottish club wins a national trophy. Which would be utterly humiliating.

We might go decades with a Scottish club even qualifying for Europe.

Cross border cups on top of domestic and UEFA football is preferable, in my view.

I would even prefer a European League to a UK League as at least we would all be starting with no titles. Rather than one country having a continuation of their league and the teams from other leagues being seen as starting from scratch. 

Also no one would think Scotland was part of another country, just because it's teams were playing in the European League. While if Scottish teams played in the English League, then people would wrongly think Scotland was part of England. 

14 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I do not support a United Kingdom or Great Britain Premier Soccer League. I also do not support Celtic and Rangers joining the English leagues. It would be humiliating for Scotland.

We keep hearing that it would be a good idea, for Scottish football. But it would destroy the national identity of Scotland.

Losing the Scottish League would be a disaster for the status of Scotland as a nation.

I am not anti-English, but I hate it when people think Scotland is just a part of England. If our biggest clubs played in the English League people would go back to thinking Scotland is like Yorkshire or Devon.

Even if we just merged our leagues together. I would be against that.

People would think that the UK league was just a continuation of the English League. So all the trophies English clubs had won would be counted as real trophies. While all the domestic trophies that Scottish sides had won would be counted as non-league trophies of no national status.

So all our club’s histories would relegated to that of the status of winning a non-league trophy.

Also

1) I have met English people who think that it would be unfair if a UK league was created to put any Scottish clubs in a UK Premier. They really think it is fair that all the Premier teams would just be only who would have been in the English Premier.

Many of these people even think that if there was  UK League, then the Scottish sides should have to start in tier 5 or lower. That is just ludicrous. That is not a league merger. It is a humiliating annexation.

If there was a UK League then the Scots should have two teams in the premier and two teams in the championship and two teams in League One, and two teams in League Two, as the reflective population would account for.

Another problem with a UK League is the enormous travel involved. A Scottish club could be stuck in a league of no Scottish teams, where they were travelling many 800 miles each two weeks.

Many of the Scottish clubs who are significant forces in Scottish football might be stuck below the 5th tier for decades, travelling nearly a 1000 miles each week. How would that be progress?

I think preferable options for Scotland are cross border cups. On top of Scottish domestic and UEFA competitions.

Ideas like a Celtic Club Cup could be tried. Where all Scottish Premier sides play selected sides from Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Cornwall.

That way long travels would be kept as a enjoyable novelty.

We could have trophies with teams from other European countries.

But a UK League would be impractical, for Scottish sides. It would humiliate Scotland. It could be decades before a Scottish club wins a national trophy. Which would be utterly humiliating.

We might go decades with a Scottish club even qualifying for Europe.

Cross border cups on top of domestic and UEFA football is preferable, in my view.

I would even prefer a European League to a UK League as at least we would all be starting with no titles. Rather than one country having a continuation of their league and the teams from other leagues being seen as starting from scratch. 

Also no one would think Scotland was part of another country, just because it's teams were playing in the European League. While if Scottish teams played in the English League, then people would wrongly think Scotland was part of England. 

This is some weird fetish you have. 

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Pretty sure this was suggested by some w**k (Tony Blair iirc) during the last Scottish Referendum. Can see it being repeated with a bit more gusto in light of recent events when the next referendum comes

I think it was John Prescott.  Said that a UK team should enter the World Cup or something.

Would the Big 6 English clubs still be playing in the English Premier League i.e. in addition to the ESL? Or would they leave the Premier League and play only in ESL competitions? Serious question.   

9 hours ago, Dev said:

Would the Big 6 English clubs still be playing in the English Premier League i.e. in addition to the ESL? Or would they leave the Premier League and play only in ESL competitions? Serious question.   

Wrong thread friend,, this is about not having a United Kingdom or Great Britain Premier Soccer League, not about not having the ESL.

10 hours ago, Dev said:

They'd stay in their domestic leagues and play the ESL midweek. If they were allowed to, that is.

Going by today's media reports, the British Super League is on.

Apparently it's Plan B for English moneybags clubs since the ESL failure. And Celtic previously rejected the Atlantic League proposal in favour of waiting for a British League.

I think it will in itself be horrible, but would be good to see Scotland without the OF.

They're suggesting a BSL of 18 teams, so I take it the English and Scottish Premier leagues will feed in underneath it - maybe 2 automatically promoted from EPL, with 3rd and 4th of EPL in promotion playoffs with 1st in SPL and 16th in BSL. Something like that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/british-league-what-would-it-mean-for-celtic-rangers-and-scottish-football-3210334%3famp

Edited by SecretCEO

I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em...