Scottish football without the OF

Old Firm in England or wherever  

184 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I watched that Danny Dyer program (I know) about casuals and when he was interviewing the Aberdeen one he said it was brilliant in the early 80s, going to Ibrox and Parkhead knowing you were miles better than them and you'd beat them regularly.

Just checked, and the last non-OF title winner was Aberdeen in 1985, the year I was born, so from May 1986 when I was 9 months old, only 2 clubs have won the title in Scotland.  Fucking brutal.

Aye but....helicopter Sunday etc. The memories.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye but....helicopter Sunday etc. The memories.

Yep, the media here actively celebrate the fact that it's a duopoly.

Imagine how good it would be to see Hibs v Aberdeen (for example) in a title showdown at a full Easter Road?

Or when your team is playing in the main game of the day on radio not having to listen to 45 minutes of some moron speak about Celtic before they even mention you’re playing.

Edited by Abby Normal

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I watched that Danny Dyer program (I know) about casuals and when he was interviewing the Aberdeen one he said it was brilliant in the early 80s, going to Ibrox and Parkhead knowing you were miles better than them and you'd beat them regularly.

Just checked, and the last non-OF title winner was Aberdeen in 1985, the year I was born, so from May 1986 when I was 9 months old, only 2 clubs have won the title in Scotland.  Fucking brutal.

Songs from the Big Chair was blowing up the last time a non-OF team won.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don’t think he was talking about being better on the pitch! 

10 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Or when your team is playing in the main game of the day on radio not having to listen to 45 minutes of some moron speak about Celtic before they even mention you’re playing.

Sadly if they were playing in England this would likely still happen.

Yep, the media here actively celebrate the fact that it's a duopoly.

See this is the point I tried to make earlier. It must have been absolutely class for Aberdeen fans in the 80s during that spell, enjoying being the best club in the country ahead of the OF. But now there’s been a massive shift towards the OF, so much so that they cannot be knocked from their perch. It’s not right and it’s unhealthy for the game. I’d like to think most right minded OF fans would say the league would be more exciting if the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United or the #Perthshire Massive had a realistic chance of winning the league - being able to at least take it to the last day of the season to win the league for example. We haven’t had a moment like that (Aberdeen again) since 1991.

The way the OF are cherished in our game is sickening, which is why it was so delicious when Rangers got sent to the third tier. It needs to change. The TV deals don’t help, the likes of Premier Sports and Sky are constantly having a OF love in. BT seemed to be a bit better at showcasing the Scottish game.

I think it’s ridiculous that the OF play each other at least 4 times a season, rising to potentially 7 games if you include the league cup and Scottish cup replays. Is there another league in the world that has two of the biggest rivals in world football who play each other that often? I think it’s tinpot and it contributes to this OF love in.

Said it before and I’ll say it again - I’d love the top flight to become a 16 team league and a more even distribution of wealth. Everyone plays each other home and away once and that’s it. Gives everyone less of those daunting trips to Celtic Park and Ibrox. We wouldn’t have to play the same team multiple times and would make trips to other grounds more exciting. Will probably never happen because of course the OF would kick up a stink about losing derbies and the ones at the top of Scottish football would pander to their wishes.

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

See this is the point I tried to make earlier. It must have been absolutely class for Aberdeen fans in the 80s during that spell, enjoying being the best club in the country ahead of the OF. But now there’s been a massive shift towards the OF, so much so that they cannot be knocked from their perch. It’s not right and it’s unhealthy for the game. I’d like to think most right minded OF fans would say the league would be more exciting if the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United or the #Perthshire Massive had a realistic chance of winning the league - being able to at least take it to the last day of the season to win the league for example. We haven’t had a moment like that (Aberdeen again) since 1991.

The way the OF are cherished in our game is sickening, which is why it was so delicious when Rangers got sent to the third tier. It needs to change. The TV deals don’t help, the likes of Premier Sports and Sky are constantly having a OF love in. BT seemed to be a bit better at showcasing the Scottish game.

I think it’s ridiculous that the OF play each other at least 4 times a season, rising to potentially 7 games if you include the league cup and Scottish cup replays. Is there another league in the world that has two of the biggest rivals in world football who play each other that often? I think it’s tinpot and it contributes to this OF love in.

Said it before and I’ll say it again - I’d love the top flight to become a 16 team league and a more even distribution of wealth. Everyone plays each other home and away once and that’s it. Gives everyone less of those daunting trips to Celtic Park and Ibrox. We wouldn’t have to play the same team multiple times and would make trips to other grounds more exciting. Will probably never happen because of course the OF would kick up a stink about losing derbies and the ones at the top of Scottish football would pander to their wishes.

I think in 10/11 there was 6 Old Firm games.  May have even been 7.  The season Lennon and McCoist were having an intimate moment on the touchline at Celtic Park.  Of course the media were collectively erect for it.

Ideally, all the non-OF* 40 SPFL clubs should merge into a super-club on a temporary basis.  This would create a three team Scottish league which would be impossible for the OF* clubs to win.  This would have a catastrophic effect upon the attendances & TV money received by Celtic & Rangers*, causing both to go bust & go the same way as Third Lanark.  Once this had occurred, the clubs & leagues would then revert to their original formation, prior to the creation of the super-club, but minus the OF*.  

45 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Ideally, all the non-OF* 40 SPFL clubs should merge into a super-club on a temporary basis.  This would create a three team Scottish league which would be impossible for the OF* clubs to win.  This would have a catastrophic effect upon the attendances & TV money received by Celtic & Rangers*, causing both to go bust & go the same way as Third Lanark.  Once this had occurred, the clubs & leagues would then revert to their original formation, prior to the creation of the super-club, but minus the OF*.  

galaxy brain shit

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Imagine how good it would be to see Hibs v Aberdeen (for example) in a title showdown at a full Easter Road?

Fully agree about getting them both to fcuk, but also worry about the media coverage.

Imagine the red top papers and Sports news on our TV full of English stories, as they would be more  interesting to the Arse Cheek fans than a Hibs V Aberdeen league decider.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I’ve also said this before, but it will also probably never happen because non-OF teams are reluctant to give up 4 potential home ties against them that bring large attendances.

I’m sure there was even an occasion in the past where a team (Motherwell, I think) complained about the post-split fixtures as they had a 3rd trip to either Ibrox or Celtic Park and were unhappy as this impacted them financially because they didn’t get a large away crowd at Fir Park.

46 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Fully agree about getting them both to fcuk, but also worry about the media coverage.

Imagine the red top papers and Sports news on our TV full of English stories, as they would be more  interesting to the Arse Cheek fans than a Hibs V Aberdeen league decider.

This is currently the case. Aberdeen or Hearts could break their transfer record on a new signing and it would be 5 pages in before you see it. The back page pictures would still be Arfield or Brown cracking a joke on the training ground and everyone cooing over it.

The media coverage is already non existent so it couldn't get worse. I genuinely think a title decider between other teams would increase so if Pittodire or Tynecastle was full for a league decider and there was 100k on the streets celebrating their success they would absolutely report on it.