Scottish football without the OF

Old Firm in England or wherever  

184 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Would the same numbers of fans have come along for the 'journey' if you'd struggled?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

We did struggle though.

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

We did struggle though.

That’s what makes it funny. As you had the second highest budget in Scotland throughout all your travels through the leagues. It’s taken you until this year since your rebirth to claim a major honour. The ultimate Banter years. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm talking about the glory hunters based all over the country.

I think those who put money towards in the club in any way, be it merchandise, TV subscriptions or whatever, would continue. As long as they weren't scrapping against relegation from the Championship I think they might gather more gloryhunters, more of those who might otherwise support Liverpool or Barcelona, because they'd be playing proper opposition and not in a farmers' league...

I'm not sure that EPL clubs would accept them, a choice of expanding to 22 teams or dumping a couple of extra teams into the championship to accommodate the ugly sisters. Neither sounds attractive, and what would happen further down the pyramid, two extra teams into the National league?

Can't see the OF accepting entry lower down EFL either, too expensive and hard work to get back to the top table. Even if they did get accepted by EPL, there  would be no automatic entry to Europe either, initially I suspect that both would struggle in EPL and face relegation battles.

SPFL would probably lose quite a bit of tv income but as the OF allocate most of it to themselves there may not be a great difference to Premiership teams.

On the plus side if they went to the EPL, SPFL could charge a departure fee, say 10% of their EPL distributions for 10 years to make up for loss of revenue caused by the departure.

SPFL would also have the opportunity to complete a sensible reconstruction without the OF millstone and the current voting system to    block change. Bring in 8 clubs and form 3 leagues of 16. No colts teams allowed, EPL do have a flourishing premier reserve league.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think those who put money towards in the club in any way, be it merchandise, TV subscriptions or whatever, would continue. As long as they weren't scrapping against relegation from the Championship I think they might gather more gloryhunters, more of those who might otherwise support Liverpool or Barcelona, because they'd be playing proper opposition and not in a farmers' league...

I know plenty of rangers fans who didn't really follow Scottish football as it hated itself to death 

That seemed to change this season.

Same with most of the Celtic fans being quiet.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I know plenty of rangers fans who didn't really follow Scottish football as it hated itself to death 

That seemed to change this season.

Same with most of the Celtic fans being quiet.

Same, worked with quite a few Rangers* fans who would choose to watch English Championship games, as Scottish football was too poor quality for them to waste their time with.

Would i love to see us playing in a more competitive league? Absolutely however not if it’s to be at the detriment financially of the Scottish league.

Playing teams 4-6 times a season is tedious and a move to England would see that addressed and offer us the competition we crave however we would have to be under no illusions that it will be tough very very tough to try make any mark in the EPL.

Realistically we would spend the first five years trying to survive and break into mid table imo and I’m not sure enough Celtic fans would accept that. 

pipe dream anyway, we have been here before

I am old enough to remember when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were competing with them regularly. When the old firm were not winning crowds dwindled to a few thousand for some games. The ultimate proof of glory hunting. If they left and struggled the same would happen again, once the novelty wore off. A midweek crunch relegation battle with Luton or Rotherham for £40 a ticket?

I would drive the c***s to England myself if you guaranteed me two things.

1. They were the only two Scottish clubs who moved and it was not the start of a "British League"

2. There are no "Rangers Colts" and "Celtic Colts" to replace them in the Scottish football pyramid system

7 hours ago, HibsFan said:

1. They were the only two Scottish clubs who moved and it was not the start of a "British League"

2. There are no "Rangers Colts" and "Celtic Colts" to replace them in the Scottish football pyramid system

That would be how I want it too;  just those two away, and all ties severed with Scottish football.  It would be brilliant.

8 hours ago, HibsFan said:

This would be great but it would put the Scottish football media in the strange position of having absolutely no interest in Scottish football.

In fairness, the best option is probably for them to f**k off but my idealistic vision would just for Scottish football to actually be fair and not completely distorted by finances the way it's been. I am unfortunately too young (clues in the username) but it must have been fucking magic beating them to league titles and cups regularly and just generally going toe to toe in the face of their cretinous 'support'.

Far more likely that Scottish football's ills would be solved by them fucking off though.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

This would be great but it would put the Scottish football media in the strange position of having absolutely no interest in Scottish football.

In fairness, the best option is probably for them to f**k off but my idealistic vision would just for Scottish football to actually be fair and not completely distorted by finances the way it's been. I am unfortunately too young (clues in the username) but it must have been fucking magic beating them to league titles and cups regularly and just generally going toe to toe in the face of their cretinous 'support'.

Far more likely that Scottish football's ills would be solved by them fucking off though.

I thought that was your age tbh. Still not as old as King Joey.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I watched that Danny Dyer program (I know) about casuals and when he was interviewing the Aberdeen one he said it was brilliant in the early 80s, going to Ibrox and Parkhead knowing you were miles better than them and you'd beat them regularly.

Just checked, and the last non-OF title winner was Aberdeen in 1985, the year I was born, so from May 1986 when I was 9 months old, only 2 clubs have won the title in Scotland.  Fucking brutal.