World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

I don't think Pedro is working out as Scotland manager. Poor performances and baffling selection choices are it for me. If we make the World Cup through the playoffs I feel he'll be lauded, but I'd be punting him and getting someone else in before any serious damage is done.

• 1 month later...

Scotland 0-2 Spain.

A spirited but ultimately fruitless performance. Created very little and Spain didn't really have to get out of second gear. Hopeless refereeing throughout as well.

I'm still not convinced Pedro is the right fit for the job. His tactics are frequently all wrong and some of his personnel decisions are frankly bizarre. 

20220412_193330.jpg

20220412_193902.jpg

Just watched the last 20 minutes or so of the table topping Jamaica v Dominican Republic game on YouTube. 3-1 Jamaica when switched on and ended up 5-1 so Jamaica qualify for the next stage. Another table topping game on now between Mexico and Puerto Rico, win or a draw sees Mexico through.

ETA: Joint hosts Australia and New Zealand met in a friendly last night in Canberra with Australia winning 3-1. That was also the HT score, Sam Kerr scored twice, crowd 13,077. Last Thursday they met in Townsville with Australia winning 2-1 with goals in 94th and 97th minutes. Crowd 10,779. 

Edited by Eednud

10 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Scotland 0-2 Spain.

A spirited but ultimately fruitless performance. Created very little and Spain didn't really have to get out of second gear. Hopeless refereeing throughout as well.

I'm still not convinced Pedro is the right fit for the job. His tactics are frequently all wrong and some of his personnel decisions are frankly bizarre. 

Zipped through the game on Alba after getting back from Hampden, the offside decision against Martha Thomas was shocking.

No qualms about the penalty though, Nicola Docherty is a decent full back but prone to crazy moments like that.

Thought Erin Cuthbert was quite effective in her deeper role, possibly the future for her now Kim Little has retired?

Spain were a class apart though, great technique and their decision making under pressure was so much better than ours.

Edited by Lurkst

Fucking mental stuff from Kenny Shiels. You’d think a male manager of a women’s team would be determined to break down these stereotypes and strongly advocate for women’s rights and equality.

Of all the ridiculous, outdated stereotypes about women and women’s football, he’s picked one of the most batshit mental ones of the lot. Fanny.

IMG_0805.thumb.jpg.12439ff904b32fefe1279f9f658a2e0c.jpg

I agree with Donal and I think the reaction to this has been ridiculous.

Genuinely can’t tell if that’s a big fucking whoosh.

Whether or not the statistics back up his claim or not is immaterial. Teams of all ages and genders concede back-to-back goals every single week in football.

To analyse the game through the lens of gender is mental and so regressive. Have men’s teams ever been analysed specifically by their gender? Do you ever hear managers saying “they’re men so they’re more likely to get violent, it’s just their nature” after getting a couple of players sent off? There’s probably a mountain of research to confirm men are more violent, but it wouldn’t make a statement like that acceptable.

Shiels would have been well within his rights to say his team didn’t compose themselves or concentrate enough after conceding, and that’s something his team need to work on, but to pin his 11 players’ reactions on the behaviours of an entire gender is horrifically sexist and tone deaf.

• 2 months later...

I do wonder how much the Ukraine women's team has been impacted by the war. Not sure what their preparation has been, but I doubt it was as thorough as the men's team. We're looking pretty dangerous any time we attack, and Ukraine are normally fairly competitive. Any win away from home would normally be a good result here. although, we've been 3-0 up against a team before...

Edited by Spectre

6 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

While I agree she should be nowhere near the squad, she's been anonymous tonight because she's on the bench.

Aye my apologies, it was just the stuùpid way they did the graphics, just listing the squad rather than line up and I just glanced at it. Sorry Lisa 

20220624_195402.jpg

Edited by Thereisalight..