World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

Scotland finish as sixth best runner-up. We miss out on a bye to the second round of the play-offs, as expected but, I'm assuming, have home advantage in the first round.

Bearing in mind that only the two best playoff winners qualify automatically for the World Cup while the remaining playoff winner has to enter the inter-confederation playoffs... that leaves Scotland needing to:

1. Win at home to one of Portugal, Wales or Bosnia.

2. Win away to one of Switzerland, Iceland or Republic of Ireland.

If we do that and at least one of the teams that finished below us (the aforementioned Portugal, Wales and Bosnia) also wins two playoff games, we would be straight through.

If we win and none of those teams do, it's the inter-confederation playoffs. The top two entrants based on FIFA ranking have to win one game to qualify, the remaining eight entrants have to win two.

I reckon that's right, anyway, but have probably messed it up...

EDIT: I have messed it up... both rounds of the European playoffs are open draws so we could get two home games or two away games and could play two seeds or two teams that finished below us.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Definitely good to be at home, and hopefully we get some big crowds to get behind the women. Austria are probably one of the harder teams we could have drawn first, but there's probably little difference between any of the first ties other than Bosnia Herzegovina so a shame we missed out on them, but definitely could be a lot worse. Ireland will be tough too, but unsure they would be any harder than any of the other options. Back to back world cups would be a tremendous achievement.

According to FIFA rankings (yes, I know) they're 20th and we are 23rd.

Their qualifying was similar to ours, lost home and away to the top team (England for them, Spain for us). They won all their other games bar one draw, as did we. They didn't get twatted by anyone, though, whereas we lost 8-0 in Spain.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

We need to win both games and have the winner of the Wales vs Bosnia match beat Switzerland away (unlikely). If we win both and Switzerland win, we would go into the inter-conference playoffs.

Or Portugal beat Iceland in the other play-off by less than we were to beat Ireland I think. Perhaps even if Belgium beat Iceland on penalties? 🤔

Edited by Lurkst

• 4 weeks later...

English commentary and HD is on the iPlayer.  Horrible conditions will affect the game and has probably affected the attendance.  Austria were quite good in the Euros so this could be tough.  

3 minutes ago, resk said:

English commentary and HD is on the iPlayer.  Horrible conditions will affect the game and has probably affected the attendance.  Austria were quite good in the Euros so this could be tough.  

Had to switch off the English commentary as it's too freaking loud and I cant hear the crowd/players 🤣

Neither team looks great tonight so far. Horrible weather but kudos to the folk still sitting in the first few rows 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That made me laugh 🤣Aye I'm not her biggest fan either

Yes.  I kept waiting for the mistake to come but, to her credit, she's been good.  Corsie is taking up where Howard left off, though, and could have cost us.

If we get through and play like this vs the RoI they will harry and hound us off the park.  They're very much a 'greater than the sum of their parts' team and don't allow teams a second on the ball.