World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

So, if I have got it right, if we win in normal or extra time that will be good enough if:

Wales eliminate Switzerland OR Portugal win on penalties or by the same or a smaller margin than we win.

If we win on penalties that will be enough if:

Wales win on penalties or by one goal OR Portugal win on penalties.

That look about right?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That look about right?

Comprehensive coverage of all possibilities there!

TBH I'll be astonished if Wales manage to win in Switzerland. I think all eyes will be on Pacos de Ferreira (yes I had to google that).

I'm honestly so perplexed about how this qualifying works. I dont remember it being like this when we qualified for France in 2019. 

Seems daft that all the games are kicking off at 6pm whilst we are at 8pm. Normally in a "do or die" situation like this all games KO at the same time! 

Hoping Wales get the win and us of course. Would be good to have 3 UK teams there as I at least know who most of their players are 🤣

The World Cup has expanded since 2019 - it was 24 then and will be 32 this time. It's basically come around because Europe has 11 qualifying spots plus one place in the sort of repechage thing (compared to 8 last time).

Clearly there needs to be some way to differentiate between the play-off winners to decide who ends up in the repechage, the alternative would have been some complex group stage with the top 2 going through and 3rd dropping into the repechage.

Only the best two playoff winners qualify automatically, the remaining playoff winner goes into a further playoff with teams from the rest of the world.

For the purposes of working out which are the best two, you take their group records and add on what they would have got in this playoff if it was a league game.

The result of the previous playoff round doesn't count because none of the seeded teams played in that round, so forget our respective scores against Austria/Bosnia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_play-offs

And, bugger, Switzerland level.

7 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Replace Ireland in the top of the flow chart with Scotland and you get the best explanation of the scenarios I've seen.

Slightly off because we're level with Portugal other than GD but we're getting into even more complicated territory with that.

FezXqHdWYAMpbfq?format=jpg&name=medium

It's not the same as Ireland had a better group record than us.