Organised crime thread

14 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Why the f**k would anyone open their front door, after hearing gunshots in the street?

I dare say the poor lassie's mum has asked herself - tortured herself - with this ever since. 

We don't know what she heard, or what else might have motivated this, but we really need to be clear that opening her own front door in no way makes the mum responsible, even partly. This scumbag pointed a firearm and pulled the trigger. He is to blame, only.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm guessing this sentence is as a warning to wannabe gangsters that if they go around spraying bullets to try to kill an adult, and accidentally murder a child, they'll be sentenced as a child killing nonce.

I wonder if this sentence is of a similar level to that handed out when young black kids are shot dead as collateral damage in London by drug dealers?

Seems to me that if you are white (see Sarah Everard) there will be a bigger media outcry, and larger sentences for crimes.

Maybe I am wrong, but there does seem to be a wee bit of a pattern

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Why the f**k would anyone open their front door, after hearing gunshots in the street?

If it happened on my street all the nosey auld b*****ds would be out discussing it as he run down the street firing.

• 2 weeks later...

Verdict due in the murder trial of Gerry Hutch this morning.  The trial concerns the REgency Hotel attack, where several gunmen dressed in Irish Garda uniforms, and others, attacked members of the Kinahan organised crime family at the weigh in for a boxing event in 2016.  One man was killed in the attack, David Byrne, an associate of the Kinahans.  Daniel Kinahan escaped.

Hutch is a very well known organised crime figure in Ireland and is widely believed to be responsible for several large armed robberies in the 1990s as well as being involved, with his associates and family, in drug trafficking.  While the Hutch's and Kinahan's had worked together for a time, they fell out and the murder of Hutch's nephew lead to the planning of the Regency attack.  Hutch, who is 60, is alleged to have been one of the masked gunmen and to have shot Byrne dead.  He is also linked, via witness testimony and other evidence to the procurement of the AK47s used in the attack, from dissident Repubican groups in Northern Ireland.

He's been tried at the Special Criminal Court, where serious organised crime cases in the Republic of Ireland are held.  There is no jury, a panel of three judges decide.

11 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Rocking the Mel Gibson look.

Don't think he will be convicted as they only have the word of Jonathan Dowdall himself a convicted criminal as evidence. 

There is more evidence than Jonathan Dowdall's word.  Whether it's enough is another matter.

This is going to take ages, the judge is going through the evidence against somebody accused of lending them his taxi for the raid, which he denies. Not sure how many are in the dock.

Edited by welshbairn

On 04/04/2023 at 10:11, scottsdad said:

I dare say the poor lassie's mum has asked herself - tortured herself - with this ever since. 

We don't know what she heard, or what else might have motivated this, but we really need to be clear that opening her own front door in no way makes the mum responsible, even partly. This scumbag pointed a firearm and pulled the trigger. He is to blame, only.

Poor woman might have thought it was a car back firing or fireworks in the street and went to check what was happening. Its not her fault for any of that, poor woman probably going to be subjected to that speculative shite for the rest of her life now.