Scotland squad euro 2020

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Do we know if Clarke spoke to Alan McGregor ?

Not that I've heard to be honest. I think we are in a fortunate position to have (relatively) decent keepers available to us. Marshall has normally been pretty good barring a couple of errors against Austria (I think) so it's maybe not something he viewed as a priority.

Edited by AJF

Some bloke has text into the live BBC sport page with this team 😆

Gordon

O’Donnell Hanley Taylor Robertson

Tierney McTominay McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes Nisbet

Please tell me it was one of you lot at it?

Really happy with the squad. The three new faces seemed destined to come in right after the Euros but Gilmour's clearly good enough to be included, Turnbull's a different option especially if chasing a game, and Patterson's seemingly a great prospect in a problem position.

The CB options are obviously concerning but there's not been a glaring omission.

Clarke talking about changing things up in midfield. Wonder what he means?

ETA: I'd definitely rather have Griffiths coming off the bench than Nisbet.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

In the words of Zack de la Rocha - It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime, what better place than here, what better time than now? All hell can't stop us now!

Steve Clarke quoting Zack de la Rocha to the folk whining about his squad selection. 

“f**k you I won’t do what you tell me!”

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Really happy with the squad. The three new faces seemed destined to come in right after the Euros but Gilmour's clearly good enough to be included, Turnbull's a different option especially if chasing a game, and Patterson's seemingly a great prospect in a problem position.

The CB options are obviously concerning but there's not been a glaring omission.

CB is terrifying, but there's not much we can do about it.

We're risking a charge of bringing the game into disrepute by taking our central defenders to a major tournament, imo.

CB is terrifying, but there's not much we can do about it.
We're risking a charge of bringing the game into disrepute by taking our central defenders to a major tournament, imo.
Nah there's nothing we can do about it. Hopefully we'll be in a better place this time next year. I think Gallagher/Hendry might actually be our RCB options but Cooper would start there for me.

What is the script with Aaron Hickey? Don’t follow Italian football too closely but has he been out injured or missed a lot of football? Last I was aware he had been very impressive in his early games with Bologna so would’ve expected him to kick on and have been in Scotland squads. Certainly based on past performances his potential was huge and seemed like he’d be a nailed-on to make the Scotland squad ahead of a few guys that are in. 🤔

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think our centre back options are fine. Hanley gets a bad rap and Cooper/Tierney/Gallagher have all been solid there for us. 

As for the midfield, if you're Steve Clarke watching your usual trusted guys like Christie and McGregor absolutely stink the place out for much of the season, it probably makes you think twice about using both of them in midfield, especially when Turnbull has been head and shoulders above the two of them. With Gilmour coming in there as well and Jack being out, I can understand why we might be looking at a different balance in there. 

Just now, 8MileBU said:

What is the script with Aaron Hickey? Don’t follow Italian football too closely but has he been out injured or missed a lot of football? Last I was aware he had been very impressive in his early games with Bologna so would’ve expected him to kick on and have been in Scotland squads. Certainly based on past performances his potential was huge and seemed like he’d be a nailed-on to make the Scotland squad ahead of a few guys that are in. 🤔

Injured for the last couple of months and out for the season

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

He got sent off in February and hasn't been seen since. 

Can't believe after all the times Griffiths has come off the bench when Scotland are chasing a game and saved us, that he hasn't been included.
Once IIRC - when he helped in the late pressure Vs Lithuania where James McArthur snatched a late equaliser at Hampden? Even then it wasn't a goal or assist.
All his goals (Vs England, Slovenia, Malta) came from starts.

Whoosh?

I think our centre back options are fine. Hanley gets a bad rap and Cooper/Tierney/Gallagher have all been solid there for us. 
As for the midfield, if you're Steve Clarke watching your usual trusted guys like Christie and McGregor absolutely stink the place out for much of the season, it probably makes you think twice about using both of them in midfield, especially when Turnbull has been head and shoulders above the two of them. With Gilmour coming in there as well and Jack being out, I can understand why we might be looking at a different balance in there. 
The centre centre-back options are OK and Tierney's great. It's everyone else who worries me and one will be starting.

I'm absolutely fine with Taylor being there; while Tierney is obviously much better than Taylor he's also much better than any of the alternatives at centre back. If Robertson was to miss out for any reason I'd rather have the drop in quality at left wing back of Robertson to Taylor than the drop in quality at centre back of Tierney having to move out to the left and being replaced there by anyone else.

Thinking about the most likely starting XI (what I think Clarke will pick rather than what I'd pick) this gives us cover as follows:

Gordon

(Marshall, McLaughlin)

Hendry - Hanley - Tierney

(Cooper, Gallagher, McKenna, McTominay)

O'Donnell ‐-----‐-------------------- Robertson

(Forrest, Patterson) ----------- (Taylor, Tierney)

McTominay - McGregor

(Gilmour, Fleck)

McGinn

(Christie, Armstrong, Turnbull)

Fraser - Adams

(Christie, Armstrong, Turnbull, Forrest) (Dykes, Nisbet)

I think that's a well balanced squad. You could maybe make an argument for removing a centre back in favour of Shankland or Griffiths, but there's no way you could justify removing one to bring Gauld in when we have so many options in his position already.