House buying, mortgages, insurance, etc

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Put an offer in on a house today. The wait to hear back is horrible. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

It's worse when you find out you were outbid by £70k. 

I'm not sure about this. I'd rather miss out by £70k than £1k.

53 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Agreed.

I'm not sure about this. I'd rather miss out by £70k than £1k.

I agree with you, when I got my flat I increased my offer at the closing date by £500 and I found out that was what swung it for me. If I’d missed out for the sake of a couple hundred quid I’d have been devastated. 

I was beaten by £500 on an offer last year, only to end up paying fully 20% less - on a reduced asking price - two minutes along the same street about six weeks later. A bit more work was needed on walk-in but it turned out to be an extremely fortunate turn of events. 

45 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was beaten by £500 on an offer last year, only to end up paying fully 20% less - on a reduced asking price - two minutes along the same street about six weeks later. A bit more work was needed on walk-in but it turned out to be an extremely fortunate turn of events. 

Are you getting @TxRoverin to estimate and do all the work?

43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are you getting @TxRoverin to estimate and do all the work?

Well he can’t get an Estonian architect, Bulgarian bricklayer or Polish plumber anymore, so he needs to look somewhere. I know some Mexican construction workers who’d like a break somewhere cooler, how are the post-Brexit visas doing?

• 1 month later...

Anyone thinking of buying a new-build home ?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/oct/21/cracked-tiles-wonky-gutters-leaning-walls-why-are-britains-new-houses-so-rubbish

"In a new-build housing estate on the edge of Peterborough, where rows of identical redbrick homes march along a freshly tarmacked street, Orlando Murphy stands outside a house wielding a long telescopic pole with a camera on the end. A few doors down, builders in hi-vis vests look on with expressions of concern, as he casts his camera across the roof and points it towards the gutters, like a metal detectorist looking for treasure. The bounty he is seeking is not golden coins, but evidence of bodging.

“Cracked tiles, guttering on the wonk, pooling water, dodgy fascia boards,” Murphy says, reeling off the common issues. “The things they get away with are absolutely shocking.”

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CamronGardner said:

Buying a house involves a maze of decisions, from mortgages to insurance. Yet, post-purchase, managing your property becomes pivotal.

Cut the shite bot, show us the link.

Looking for some advice on owning a 2nd property and tax implications etc, if anyone on here has any experience. 

Long story short(ish). Daughter is currently living in a rented flat but the owner lives abroad and the letting agents are cnuts, with a whole host of issues needing resolved that they constantly drag their heels on. Rental prices are getting eye-watering and she/we are loathe to line the pockets of greedy landlords for properties that are nowhere near worth the money.

She made some silly financial decisions while a student that makes it difficult for her to get a mortgage just now, but with ours having only a couple of years to run we are considering buying a flat for her in our name, which she can take on once she is able to gain a mortgage in her own right.

It wouldn't be buy to let, I know from reading a few articles that you can obtain a 2nd mortgage to allow family etc to live in it for no financial gain, but have no idea about any taxation or other implications involved in owning a 2nd home. Also read recently that some local authorities looking to start applying higher Council Tax on 2nd homes.

36 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Looking for some advice on owning a 2nd property and tax implications etc, if anyone on here has any experience. 

Long story short(ish). Daughter is currently living in a rented flat but the owner lives abroad and the letting agents are cnuts, with a whole host of issues needing resolved that they constantly drag their heels on. Rental prices are getting eye-watering and she/we are loathe to line the pockets of greedy landlords for properties that are nowhere near worth the money.

She made some silly financial decisions while a student that makes it difficult for her to get a mortgage just now, but with ours having only a couple of years to run we are considering buying a flat for her in our name, which she can take on once she is able to gain a mortgage in her own right.

It wouldn't be buy to let, I know from reading a few articles that you can obtain a 2nd mortgage to allow family etc to live in it for no financial gain, but have no idea about any taxation or other implications involved in owning a 2nd home. Also read recently that some local authorities looking to start applying higher Council Tax on 2nd homes.

Assuming the flat will be in Scotland

When you buy it you'll pay extra LBTT (6% for a second home).

You'll have to do self assessment and pay tax on any rental income, which you can't offset against mortgage interest these days unless you setup a limited company as a rental vehicle.

You'll legally be a landlord so you'll have to comply with all relevant landlord regulations, gas safety checks, EICR cert, Legionella risk assessments, smoke alarms, registering with the local authority, public liability insurance  etc.  As a landlord you can offset these costs against rental income but if you aren't charging rent you'll have to pay for them all.

When you sell the flat you'll be liable to CGT on any profit as it isn't your primary residence.

I'll take your word for it that you can get a second mortgage for no financial gain.  Typically mortgage companies want 125% of the mortgage payment covered as rental income before they'll lend to you.

The higher Council Tax thing is irrelevant as long as you're renting it out on a normal tenancy for someone to live in (rather than short term let or a genuine second home you use for a few weeks a year).   The tenant is responsible for the Council Tax at the normal rate (including whatever discounts they might get for being single occupant etc.).  When she moves out the clock then starts ticking on Council Tax.  Some authorities currently give 6 months free if you're planning to re-let it then hike it up.  As you're aware though all this might be changing but as long as it's rented there should be no Council Tax implications for you.

I'm not an accountant, laws are subject to change, this does not constitute advice and you can't sue me etc, etc...

ETA be prepared to take some flak for joining the ranks of the greedy scum of the earth landlords

Edited by Left Back

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Assuming the flat will be in Scotland

When you buy it you'll pay extra LBTT (6% for a second home).

You'll have to do self assessment and pay tax on any rental income, which you can't offset against mortgage interest these days unless you setup a limited company as a rental vehicle.

You'll legally be a landlord so you'll have to comply with all relevant landlord regulations, gas safety checks, EICR cert, Legionella risk assessments, smoke alarms, registering with the local authority, public liability insurance  etc.  As a landlord you can offset these costs against rental income but if you aren't charging rent you'll have to pay for them all.

When you sell the flat you'll be liable to CGT on any profit as it isn't your primary residence.

I'll take your word for it that you can get a second mortgage for no financial gain.  Typically mortgage companies want 125% of the mortgage payment covered as rental income before they'll lend to you.

The higher Council Tax thing is irrelevant as long as you're renting it out on a normal tenancy for someone to live in (rather than short term let or a genuine second home you use for a few weeks a year).   The tenant is responsible for the Council Tax at the normal rate (including whatever discounts they might get for being single occupant etc.).  When she moves out the clock then starts ticking on Council Tax.  Some authorities currently give 6 months free if you're planning to re-let it then hike it up.  As you're aware though all this might be changing but as long as it's rented there should be no Council Tax implications for you.

I'm not an accountant, laws are subject to change, this does not constitute advice and you can't sue me etc, etc...

ETA be prepared to take some flak for joining the ranks of the greedy scum of the earth landlords

Thanks for your reply, lots of good info that will help going forward. My point on mortgage for no gain came purely from a quick search on the Halifax mortgage calculator which gave the option of buying a 2nd home, then when it came to whether it would be buy to let, an info box instructed you to select 'No' if you were planning to let family live in it. I know that's at the most simplistic level of the overall purchase and responsibilities involved, and that taxes etc would be involved, but led me to believe there is a specific mortgage tool for this purpose rather than btl.

The fixed rate on what's left of my own mortgage ends in the coming month or so, think I'll set up an appointment with a mortgage adviser in branch and discuss what our options are. Given her low credit rating, perhaps a guarantor or joint mortgage of sorts with my daughter could be an option? A lot to consider. 

Thanks again for your help.