House buying, mortgages, insurance, etc

Quick query for those with more experience than me...

When one's fixed period comes to an end (which for me is August 2025) do you again have to supply pay slips, salary proof etc. - or are you automatically offered terms on whatever rates are available?  And you only have to supply pay slips, salary proof etc. if you are wanting to either borrow more or extend the term?

16 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

When one's fixed period comes to an end (which for me is August 2025) do you again have to supply pay slips, salary proof etc. - or are you automatically offered terms on whatever rates are available?  And you only have to supply pay slips, salary proof etc. if you are wanting to either borrow more or extend the term?

You will go onto the standard variable rate of your current provider. Assuming you shop around and end up getting a new deal likely with a new provider, you will need all that shite again 

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You will go onto the standard variable rate of your current provider. Assuming you shop around and end up getting a new deal likely with a new provider, you will need all that shite again 

But if I stay with HSBC and neither want to increase my mortgage nor extend the time, are they going to ask for all of this stuff to simply get another 2-year fixed term?

With a lot of my documentation coming from the Middle East, it requires verification, translation, supporting letters etc. it took them about 3 or 4 months to even allow me a mortgage in the first place...

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

But if I stay with HSBC and neither want to increase my mortgage nor extend the time, are they going to ask for all of this stuff to simply get another 2-year fixed term?

With a lot of my documentation coming from the Middle East, it requires verification, translation, supporting letters etc. it took them about 3 or 4 months to even allow me a mortgage in the first place...

I wouldn't imagine HSBC would need it all again. I've never stayed with the same provider for consecutive deals tho. 

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I stayed with the same provider (NatWest) last time and did not have to provide anything for a simple new term. 

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I wouldn't imagine HSBC would need it all again. I've never stayed with the same provider for consecutive deals tho. 

I suspect they might actually, to ensure circumstances haven't changed and/or you still meet their criteria for a mortgage.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I suspect they might actually, to ensure circumstances haven't changed and/or you still meet their criteria for a mortgage.

But you still have a mortgage with them having defaulted onto their standard variable or whatever they default you to. The account is still open and the balance is the balance owed to them. 

I could be wrong but a lot of the time they are shoving new products at you at the end of a deal. 

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

But you still have a mortgage with them having defaulted onto their standard variable or whatever they default you to. The account is still open and the balance is the balance owed to them. 

I could be wrong but a lot of the time they are shoving new products at you at the end of a deal. 

You do, but those don't have any affordability checks attached to them (you already had them at the start of that agreement) whereas a new fixed-term almost certainly would as it's effectively a new loan.

I remember hearing about a lot of people being trapped on SVR in 2022 when their old fixed term ran out and they couldn't "afford" a new fixed term.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You do, but those don't have any affordability checks attached to them whereas a new fixed-term almost certainly would.

I remember hearing about a lot of people being trapped on SVR in 2022 when their old fixed term ran out and they couldn't "afford" a new fixed term.

Ah yeah I guess there's a possibility of you overreaching on a new deal. Hadnt thought of the affordability side I was more going down the route of your already a customer so no security checks and all that shite required 

Edited by Bairnardo

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Just went through a remortgage using a financial advisor. 

He stated that if we stayed with the same provider we wouldn't require all the documentation. 

We went elsewhere shop can't verify that, but that's what he said.

23 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I renewed with Nationwide through it's app.  No need for anything other clicking a few buttons, to the point that booking a train ticket is more hassle.

This was the main driver for staying with the same lender as I'm self employed and explaining the irregular incomes into my personal account (to keep a rainy day fund etc) would probably have been more hassle than worth.

• 2 weeks later...

The average first-time buyer deposit in London is currently £145,400, more than double the national average of £60,100. London first-time buyers who got help from their parents received £91,356, on average.

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/buying-mortgages/london-firsttime-buyer-my-parents-sold-their-home-to-pay-the-deposit-for-my-whitechapel-flat-b1177751.html

On 12/08/2024 at 11:36, arab_joe said:

No if you are not changing anything they won't need to see anything else. Just call them up and ask them to put you on the lowest fixed rate available for either two or five years - avoid the standard variable rate at all costs. 

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The average first-time buyer deposit in London is currently £145,400, more than double the national average of £60,100. London first-time buyers who got help from their parents received £91,356, on average.

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/buying-mortgages/london-firsttime-buyer-my-parents-sold-their-home-to-pay-the-deposit-for-my-whitechapel-flat-b1177751.html

Genuinely astounded to read that. I’m going through this process as a first time buyer and my deposit is less than 10% of that. The perks of living up here.

53 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Genuinely astounded to read that. I’m going through this process as a first time buyer and my deposit is less than 10% of that. The perks of living up here.

Yep, the London premium has always been about for as long as I remember, but when you can own outright a house in a reasonable area for less than a deposit which I suspect won't be particularly nice is a f**king wild situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Took out a mortgage on my one bedroom flat in 2022 at 3.02%, renewed this year for a further two years at 4.15% meaning a less than £40 increase per month. Expected a lot worse but seem to have hit a reasonable sweet spot for renewal although prices will drop further