G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

24 minutes ago, AJF said:

Unless I picked it up wrong, I'm sure I heard it said last night that both teams were aiming for their first win in the Champions League since 2017. And Feyenoord are a Pot 1 side!

I actually expected Feyernoord to be much better than they were considering they are currently the best team in Holland. That’s the disappointing thing as a result was there for us

I only watched the first 20 minutes and then the highlights today, the editors clearly forgot to include any part that showed there was a result there for celtc. Is this the new outplaying Real Madrid by not scoring and doing nothing to look like you might win the game kinda thing?

Looked like 2-0 going on 5-0 from the highlights.

47 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I don’t think it’s harsh 

I read here last night about a harsh red and as I hadn't seen the Lagerbielk one I was figuring out it must have been that one. Reading through Twitter today and there is a pretty high volume of accounts making out Holm was hard done by so thought I'd ask here too.

13 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

At this level ? He’s always been pish at that level if you mean Champions League. He’s spent his entire career, apart from a short loan spell at Notts County, at a level he’s comfortable in the best team in the league.

He will never play in one of the top 5 leagues - fact.

This is nonsense as last year he was good at that level even against Madrid it was the majority of the rest of the team that let him down. A few months ago he was also ripping the pish against Spain for Scotland. Not sure whats happened this season though with him, Ive seen him put in as many questionable games in this short season than I think I have the past 5 years.

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I read here last night about a harsh red and as I hadn't seen the Lagerbielk one I was figuring out it must have been that one. Reading through Twitter today and there is a pretty high volume of accounts making out Holm was hard done by so thought I'd ask here too.

I’ve not seen anyone question the Holm decision. As Brendan said you cant do that in any league.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’ve not seen anyone question the Holm decision. As Brendan said you cant do that in any league.

Just type "Holm red card" into the search bar. In the couple of hundred tweets I've  scrolled through about 40% are saying the games gone, never a red etc. That's a scarily high percentage.

I thought AJ put in one helluva shift last night. Great to have him back in the lineup. Always committed & showing for the ball. 
Hatate is a few games off his best at the moment. O’Riley is just getting better each game under Rodgers. 

I was very impressed in the first half how we matched Feyenoord and possibly should’ve scored. 
A big lesson learned in the second half of how to throw away a big opportunity and make things harder for yourself. 
They’ll learn, we move on. 

3 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I thought AJ put in one helluva shift last night. Great to have him back in the lineup. Always committed & showing for the ball. 
Hatate is a few games off his best at the moment. O’Riley is just getting better each game under Rodgers. 

I was very impressed in the first half how we matched Feyenoord and possibly should’ve scored. 
A big lesson learned in the second half of how to throw away a big opportunity and make things harder for yourself. 
They’ll learn, we move on. 

You will move on, undoubtedly, but in what way is this season any different to the previous number of seasons in Europe where Celtic manifestly did not learn from their constant defeats ? 

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

I only watched the first 20 minutes and then the highlights today, the editors clearly forgot to include any part that showed there was a result there for celtc. Is this the new outplaying Real Madrid by not scoring and doing nothing to look like you might win the game kinda thing?

That doesn’t surprise me it looked like that to you. It was only a couple of weeks ago you were suggesting Beales ballers would beat us comfortably.

Eyes clearly painted on 😉

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

:lol: 

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

That doesn’t surprise me it looked like that to you. It was only a couple of weeks ago you were suggesting Beales ballers would beat us comfortably.

Equivalent to a homeless guy slagging your curtains. 

2 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

I actually expected Feyernoord to be much better than they were considering they are currently the best team in Holland.

As did I considering our comparative experience against PSV. While we no doubt contributed in helping PSV look good, I don't think Feyenoord appeared to have the same quality or swagger in attack (although that may have been due to them missing their 2 most influential attackers).

Edited by AJF

28 minutes ago, velo army said:

CalMac probably needs a holiday. He's been superb for ages but regularly plays every game and rarely gets injured. Wee spa week at Crieff Hydro or something.

Yeah played every game for club and country and even with the 5 sub rule now still never gets subbed. His distance covered stats are usually top as well.

Tbh the 3 of McGregor, O'Riley and Turnbull just isn't working either but hopefully Hatate coming back will help that. 

41 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

A couple of weeks ago both our teams had been beaten of Killie and had terrible starts to the season performance wise, I was confident about a home Old Firm which ended up going down to fine margins... this isn't quite Michael Fish territory. 

Considering I didn't watch the game perhaps you could enlighten me what made the game close? Highlights was just Feyernood missing chances and you guys having some long range no hoper shots? 

Points away to Feyenoord isn't for everyone but I don't think even you guys expected anything from the game no? 

37 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Equivalent to a homeless guy slagging your curtains. 

I always presumed you were bald tbf. 

21 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

A couple of weeks ago both our teams had been beaten of Killie and had terrible starts to the season performance wise, I was confident about a home Old Firm which ended up going down to fine margins... this isn't quite Michael Fish territory. 

Considering I didn't watch the game perhaps you could enlighten me what made the game close? Highlights was just Feyernood missing chances and you guys having some long range no hoper shots? 

Points away to Feyenoord isn't for everyone but I don't think even you guys expected anything from the game no? 

I always presumed you were bald tbf. 

Feyernoord didn’t have any chances to speak of in the 1st half at all bar the free kick other than that hey had 1 shot from range which Hart tipped over.
We managed to get into some really good positions, Maeda was unlucky with his shot, Hatate should have done much better with his chance and then could have rolled Kyogo in for probably an easy finish but chose to shoot. There was another chance where Palma could have squared for Maeda but again tried to needlessly beat the man.

Second half again they weren’t really causing us any major problems until the penalty and red card. 

Edited by Jinky67

21 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Feyernoord didn’t have any chances to speak of in the 1st half at all bar the free kick other than that hey had 1 shot from range which Hart tipped over.
We managed to get into some really good positions, Maeda was unlucky with his shot, Hatate should have done much better with his chance and then could have rolled Kyogo in for probably an easy finish but chose to shoot. There was another chance where Palma could have squared for Maeda but again tried to needlessly beat the man.

Second half again they weren’t really causing us any major problems until the penalty and red card. 

I'm taken aback by this measured response. 

Have I missed some hidden belter? Are you feeling okay? 

29 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

That's a pretty accurate summary, and I doubt I've seen as many basic passing errors and attacking timidity in a CL fixture as Feyenoord produced in the first -half last night.

However, whilst the cards were an obvious factor the converse of that is that they ran out comfortable winners as Celtic had faded really badly after a good opening half-hour.  Had they scored then, a bang ordinary home team may have struggled.

I realise there are currently injuries in the Celtic camp, but when viewed alongside the recent performances of Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, last night was further evidence that whatever the media might try to hype, Scottish club fitba is heading towards the periphery of European competition.