G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

14 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Well, you were in the way you were making out Postecoglu’s record in Europe was better when it isn’t. But let’s agree to disagree as we won’t get anywhere fast.

Grand, that’ll be why you refer to Juranovic as ‘Jura’ too - I thought you maybe knew them.

Indulge me by answering 2 questions.

1. Is qualifying to play Europa League group stage football in your 1st season better than going out in the qualifying stage?

2. Is qualifying and playing in the  Champions League group stage by way of winning the domestic league better than not winning the league and being reinstated into the Europa League after already being knocked out? 

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Indulge me by answering 2 questions.

1. Is qualifying to play Europa League group stage football in your 1st season better than going out in the qualifying stage?

2. Is qualifying and playing in the  Champions League group stage by way of winning the domestic league better than not winning the league and being reinstated into the Europa League after already being knocked out? 

1. No.

2. Yes.

But another spin.

1. Being being knocked out of 3 competitions worse than being knocked out of 2 competitions?

2. Is winning 1 match in Europe better than winning zero matches in Europe ?

40 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

1. No.

2. Yes.

But another spin.

1. Being being knocked out of 3 competitions worse than being knocked out of 2 competitions?

2. Is winning 1 match in Europe better than winning zero matches in Europe ?

Mate I’m struggling to get past the suggestion that playing group stage football isn’t better than getting papped out in the qualifiers. My mind is genuinely blow and I think I make a safe assumption most CEO’s of major football clubs would have real difficulty accepting that assessment. 

Christ I could imagine DD’s face when the next potential Celtic manager offers that explanation in his interview “DD it’s all good, the plan is to go out of Europe in August and not play any group stage football whatsoever, it’s a better achievement “ 🤣🤣

You were kind enough to answer my questions so I’ll do the same 

1. Yes because those 3 European competitions kept you in European football beyond Xmas and they didn’t end in August.

2. No because no matter if you win 1 game or 0 games the likelihood is your are out so the question then becomes simply would you rather play Europe League group games or Champions League group games and to that there is only 1 answer.

Edited by Jinky67

20 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Mate I’m struggling to get past the suggestion that playing group stage football isn’t better than getting papped out in the qualifiers. My mind is genuinely blow and I think I make a safe assumption most CEO’s of major football clubs would have real difficulty accepting that assessment. 

Christ I could imagine DD’s face when the next potential Celtic manager offers that explanation in his interview “DD it’s all good, the plan is to go out of Europe in August and not play any group stage football whatsoever, it’s a better achievement “ 🤣🤣

You were kind enough to answer my questions so I’ll do the same 

1. Yes because those 3 European competitions kept you in European football beyond Xmas and they didn’t end in August.

2. No because no matter if you win 1 game or 0 games the likelihood is your are out so the question then becomes simply would you rather play Europe League group games or Champions League group games and to that there is only 1 answer.

This is some conversation. And I respect your opinion Tbh. Right, obviously group stage is financially rewarding.

However, if the co-efficient hadn’t got you there automatically (I personally think all league champions should qualify automatically not just the rich leagues) I don’t think there is any chance Postecoglu would have navigated the qualifiers ie. USG or PSV would have beaten his team. I think he really struggles with tactics and his only tactics is to absolutely batter a much weaker team with much less resources.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

This is some conversation. And I respect your opinion Tbh. Right, obviously group stage is financially rewarding.

However, if the co-efficient hadn’t got you there automatically (I personally think all league champions should qualify automatically not just the rich leagues) I don’t think there is any chance Postecoglu would have navigated the qualifiers ie. USG or PSV would have beaten his team. I think he really struggles with tactics and his only tactics is to absolutely batter a much weaker team with much less resources.

But not a conversation about finances, co-efficients or hypotheticals just solely about level of achievement

Hopefully I don’t see you being too critical of Celtic going out at this stage since if we apply your logic it must be a better achievement than going through  😉

And maybe PSV would have beaten Celtic and then again maybe not as let’s not forget who PSV fell foul of and what we did to them 😉

Edited by Jinky67

On 28/10/2022 at 23:34, Jinky67 said:

let’s not forget who PSV fell foul of and what we did to them 😉

Rangers beat PSV and Celtic beat Rangers. But then PSV beat Arsenal so Celtic would actually be top of the EPL right now.

Real Madrid 5 Celtic 0

Wah!!!! It's no fair, they have far more money than us. Wahhhh!

Celtic 5 Ross County 0

That's totally fair, we're much better than them, and have the best fans in the world. 

etc....