Time to go Steve Clarke

If the players were allowed to leave the camp to see their families then Clarke has fucked up big time and should be sacked. 

On results alone he needs a decent win in World Cup qualifying group to keep his job. If he doesn't win one of the 4 challenging games remaining then it's conclusive he isn't the man for the job. 

Just now, craigkillie said:

Yep, this is a big part in it too, which also permeates some of the media - see for example the screenshot posted above, which based on the font I think will be an article from The Athletic, written by one of their two blinkered OF-fanboys. Some classic "if you exclude the games where a thing happened, a thing didn't happen" arguments going on there.

Well I'm not an old firm fan either. But I'd rather see us make a positive change now, rather than continue to ruin another qualifying campaign.

Which apparently makes me a bigot, and arsehole, and I've got mental health issues. What a day for self discovery.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well I'm not an old firm fan either. But I'd rather see us make a positive change now, rather than continue to ruin another qualifying campaign.

Which apparently makes me a bigot, and arsehole, and I've got mental health issues. What a day for self discovery.

Drawing at home to Israel in the group and the post Belgrade shambles in the Nations League have already ruined the World Cup campaign.

I read some stats firm give us a 7% chance of qualifying. 

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

Czech Republic and Slovakia at home were both good wins.

Winning against Serbia also. People might not like it, but winning on penalties is still winning - just because the bookies say otherwise doesn’t make it so. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Winning against Serbia also. People might not like it, but winning on penalties is still winning - just because the bookies say otherwise doesn’t make it so. 

Well I liked it, it was our best performance under Clarke. And it got us to the euros. But for me that doesn't give the guy the right to carry on.

The euro performance in general was poor, were already struggling in.the World Cup group. We can't win games at home against anything other than the smallest teams. 

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well I liked it, it was our best performance under Clarke. And it got us to the euros. But for me that doesn't give the guy the right to carry on.

The euro performance in general was poor, were already struggling in.the World Cup group. We can't win games at home against anything other than the smallest teams. 

Who do you think would be a better manager for this team?

It's disappointing that last night was the end of the road.

However, we were in a group with three good teams - Croatia, Czech Republic and England. Two of these three teams were involved in the World Cup semis three years ago. The other team of the three isn't a bad side either. 

The performance in the England game was magnificent, and I don't even think the performances in the two defeats were particularly bad. I have definitely seen us play quite a bit worse and still win games. We had enough chances to win all three games, but just could not finish.

We can be optimistic for the future despite the disappointment. Gilmour looks really really good.

As much I howl at a Scotland team/ manager and I said that Clarke is clueless.  Probably harsh to say that, maybe more of being rather inflexible within a game, when we need to be changing a chasing game.His remit was getting us to a finals, he did that. He deserves this next campaign and see what he does with it.

49 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Czech Republic, Slovakia...

I do agree we need to get back to beating sides better than or around us at home though. We’ll find out if we can do that over the next few matches. Happy for Clark to continue at the moment, however I will admit I’ll be incredibly frustrated if he continues to line up with Dykes up front and we pump high balls at him. 

Could be more of an issue him wanting to stay on. Realistically we are not expected to be one of the 13  euro teams in the wold cup finishing 2nd in group ahead of Austria would be a significant achievement just reaching play offs but lower than 3rd would be very worrying.  Not sure how seeding is decided on 2024 qualifying really need to be at least in pot 3 for that.  

I think he does need to be a bit more ruthless and take form into consideration when picking team and squads. I get he wants a close tight club atmosphere but standards need to be high and same guys on the fringes should drop out for younger on form players. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

There were two worrying aspects to Clarke.....his inability to learn from the Czech game, meaning that we were hopelessly unbalanced against Croatia. And a baffling unwillingness to change the side and/or tactics when it was obvious to all that things weren't right. 

It signifies a coach who lacks flexibility and the confidence to make vital changes at the right time. 

As pointed out elsewhere, his competitive game record with Scotland is pretty awful. He's effectively been saved by 2 penalty shoot out wins. 

Given that we blew our Nations League chance of getting to the world cup because the team couldn't concentrate after Serbia, Clarke's future depends on us finishing second in our qualifying group.....almost certainly that means taking something from the games against Denmark, and avoiding defeat in Austria.