Time to go Steve Clarke

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Sacking Clarke would be fucking moronic. There's literally no one available to replace him (realistically) that would be an upgrade. 

That's true, and it should be pointed out that Clarke inherited an absolute shambles from Strachan and McLeish. 

He deserves credit for developing the kind of club team feeling that we last had under Smith and McLeish 14 years ago, and he deserves credit for developing a system of play that is (reasonably) succesful .

On the other side of the coin though, he got it wrong in 2 games out of 3 in this tournament. Too conservative against an average side in the Czechs and the wrong players in a slightly incorrect system. The wrong replacement for Gilmour against Croatia, and probably the wrong tactics. 

In both these games, an absolute baffling choice in Stuart Armstrong, and he stood statue-like as both the Czechs and Croats figured us out and weaved patterns around us.

His inaction betrays a coach who seemed to find it impossible to react to events. In both games we needed to move away from a flat back 5 and push McTominay into midfield, but he persisted with a system that was failing. 

That doesn't instil much confidence. 

1 hour ago, ftk said:

Plenty of people seem to want Clarke sackwonted but none have come up with any names to replace him?

SFA will never sack him anyway, getting Scotland to the euros will be seen as major progress.

He will be our manager for the World Cup campaign and our Euro 2024 campaign unless he chooses to leave for a club job.

Why bother when it clearly won't happen. The level of ambition in the SFA is as pathetic as their stewardship of the game.  People are correctly slating him for tactical ineptitude and ridiculous selections. Sadly the draw at Wembley satisfied the ambitions of a lot of folk who seem just fine with the disastrous missing in game management both home games. Deserves criticism for our performance and seems unable, or worse, unwilling to learn any lessons.

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

Sacking Clarke would be fucking moronic. There's literally no one available to replace him (realistically) that would be an upgrade. 

We don't know who would or wouldn't be interested. If we looked outside Scotland for a manager im sure there's plenty of mangers who could improve us.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Some of those points are valid, but if you watched those games and think we had a "flat back 5" then I'm really not sure what to say about that.

I'm using a bit of poetic licence here, but I meant it in the sense that when the opposition had the ball we dropped back into an effective flat line. That allowed the Czechs and Croats far too much space.

We defended too rigidly. 

38 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

We don't know who would or wouldn't be interested. If we looked outside Scotland for a manager im sure there's plenty of mangers who could improve us.

I'm sure you've done your research. Who is realistically going to be interested in the Scotland job that would be an upgrade?

The floor is yours. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm using a bit of poetic licence here, but I meant it in the sense that when the opposition had the ball we dropped back into an effective flat line. That allowed the Czechs and Croats far too much space.

We defended too rigidly. 

You could say that we actually didn't defend rigidly enough, evidenced by the goals we lost. 😄  

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm sure you've done your research. Who is realistically going to be interested in the Scotland job that would be an upgrade?

The floor is yours. 

Your just wanting me to say a name so you can immediately say thats unrealistic. But sure ill take the floor.

But somebody like Lucien Favre would be ideal. 

Or Ralph Rangnick or Nuno Esporito Santo.

Thats from a 5 minute think of unemployed managers, 2 of which are in their twilight years and may jump at a cushy international job.

None of those 3 may be interested. 

Ireland got Trapattoni a few years back a bigger name than all those I've mentioned.

They probably had fans at the time fretting that they could never do better than Steve Staunton.

20 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Your just wanting me to say a name so you can immediately say thats unrealistic. But sure ill take the floor.

Thats from a 5 minute think of unemployed managers, 2 of which are in their twilight years and may jump at a cushy international job.

Ireland got Trapattoni a few years back a bigger name than all those I've mentioned.

They probably had fans at the time fretting that they could never do better than Steve Staunton.

If only we had tried the "foreign manager in his twilight years" approach before. 

Christ 😂

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Some of those points are valid, but if you watched those games and think we had a "flat back 5" then I'm really not sure what to say about that.

He's an idiot, Robertson was basically a left-winger. Just a bitter moron.

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I know we didn't do that well, but I don't think we're a bunch of donkeys.

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

If only we had tried the "foreign manager in his twilight years" approach before. 

Christ 😂

So because it didn't work once we never do it again?

Do we close the doors on scottish managers also? As there's been many example of crap ones for us?

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The floor is yours. 

There's 8 billion people in the world, we could get a better manager. But Clarke deserves to stay he's done pretty well and turned us into a half-decent outfit. Mental to talk of getting rid of him.

They would all command salaries around 5-10 times the size of Clarke’s.

I don’t think we should be copying anything from John Delaney’s FAI reign either.

You are absolutely mental if you think guys like this would want the job.

Just now, lichtiemike said:

You are absolutely mental if you think guys like this would want the job.

Been called mental quite a few times now for having a different opinion on football. You shouldn't be using phrases like that now a days pal. Its bad form.

I'm not reading through 8 pages of this but sacking Clarke and bringing in a new manager would be crazy.

We're not blessed with the best players in the world, most of the team are basically just journeymen who give the manager absolutely everything they've got.  The players obviously respect him and he should be given another few years to continue building the team, rather than risk going backwards. 

I don’t know how anyone with functioning eyes can look at the performances we had with McLeish (in his second spell) and not think that Clarke has already improved us massively.

There is a gap though between where we were at our lowest (3-0  Kazakhstan) and our maximum potential (probably we saw a bit of that on Friday night against England) and we are currently in that gap. Moved on and improved but still learning, still making some mistakes, still a bit of a way to go in terms of trying to get the right players in and finding someone who knows where the bloody net is.

Its a work in progress and there’s no point in sacking Clarke now to have someone new come in and need to learn about the team again, or do the same things all over again. 

16 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'm not reading through 8 pages of this but sacking Clarke and bringing in a new manager would be crazy.

We're not blessed with the best players in the world, most of the team are basically just journeymen who give the manager absolutely everything they've got.  The players obviously respect him and he should be given another few years to continue building the team, rather than risk going backwards. 

Do you think this is like compulsory e-learning at work, you just go to the last page?

Get back to the start and read it.

Been called mental quite a few times now for having a different opinion on football. You shouldn't be using phrases like that now a days pal. Its bad form.

It’s clear you’re just attention seeking now though, I mean there’s differing opinions, then there’s thinking Nuno Espírito Santo would take the Scotland job, it’s absolute pie in the sky stuff.