Scots on the move

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Can’t exactly blame him given his career, for him it genuinely will be life changing. Still disappointing though, as would far rather be cemented himself in the Brugge side. 

With the calibre of players that are going over there, the Saudi league is a good opportunity to test himself against some very good players more so than staying in Belgium. I’d prefer him in the EPL or serie A but this isn’t a bad option as far as how it affects Scotland. 

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

With the calibre of players that are going over there, the Saudi league is a good opportunity to test himself against some very good players more so than staying in Belgium. I’d prefer him in the EPL or serie A but this isn’t a bad option as far as how it affects Scotland. 

I suppose that’s true, but obviously missing out on the champions league and isn’t exactly going to be playing under a great manager. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I suppose that’s true, but obviously missing out on the champions league and isn’t exactly going to be playing under a great manager. 

I mean Gerrard isn’t great, but his Brugge managers were Ronny Deila, Scott Parker and Carl Hoefkens. Hardly the second coming of Ancelotti. 

10 hours ago, Donathan said:

I mean Gerrard isn’t great, but his Brugge managers were Ronny Deila, Scott Parker and Carl Hoefkens. Hardly the second coming of Ancelotti. 

I was also talking shite as Brugge aren’t even in the champions league this season. 

14 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Hendry on his way to Saudi.

Sounds like Ettifaq are going to be trying to be the best of the rest.  Quite underwhelming compared with some of the other signings.

Other news I've read on twitter the past week or so:

Marc Leonard of Brighton just signed a new contract, and is wanted by Charlton, QPR and a few other EFL teams on loan.

Josh Adam of Man City wanted by Lorient, Lille and Club Brugge

Kieron Bowie of Fulham wanted by League One teams on Loan.

Stockport have bid 250k for Scott Banks, Crystal Palace.

High chance of all of the above being utter nonsense, apart from the Mebude one as Fabrizio Romano is usually spot on about everything.

Edited by Jives Miguel

42 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Other news I've read on twitter the past week or so:

Marc Leonard of Brighton just signed a new contract, and is wanted by Charlton, QPR and a few other EFL teams on loan.

Josh Adam of Man City wanted by Lorient, Lille and Club Brugge

Kieron Bowie of Fulham wanted by League One teams on Loan.

Stockport have bid 250k for Scott Banks, Crystal Palace.

High chance of all of the above being utter nonsense, apart from the Mebude one as Fabrizio Romano is usually spot on about everything.

Kieron Bowie went out on loan about a month ago so you can tick that one off 

On 21/07/2023 at 18:28, albagubrath said:

I hope he looks at Lewis Mayo signing for Kilmarnock and realises a Serie A side would be a brilliant out for him. He could find himself lower Scot Prem or even at Championship level if he doesn't get himself established soon.

I like Lewis Mayo, but he was nowhere near the Rangers team, while Stephen Welsh has played over 50 times for Celtic despite them generally being a lot better than Rangers in that era. I don't think the two players are comparable in terms of the opportunities available to them (even though I don't necessarily think there's loads between them in terms of ability).

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I like Lewis Mayo, but he was nowhere near the Rangers team, while Stephen Welsh has played over 50 times for Celtic despite them generally being a lot better than Rangers in that era. I don't think the two players are comparable in terms of the opportunities available to them (even though I don't necessarily think there's loads between them in terms of ability).

Yeah, that's fair. The main (only?) comparison points are age (they are both 23) and that neither is going to break into their respective first team . Celtic may well have done better with Welsh to date, but they should be taking the opportunity to shift him on now, probably for a low fee high sell-on with the hope that he develops further elsewhere.

Max Johnston confirmed at Sturm Graz.

Right-back is becoming our new left-back. Hickey, Patterson, Ramsay and Johnston all 22 or under. Crazy to think this was a major problem position as little as 2 years ago.

Fab reporting Mebude to Westerlo is done as well. Strange one, fee will only be for a couple of million I'd have thought. I thought he was one of the more highly thought of youth players at City and they've sold about 3 this window for upwards of £10m each.

Edited by Jives Miguel

I wonder if City are choosing to sell players with buy-back clauses to get around the limits on international loan deals. They're willing to bend and break every other rule, so it would make sense that they would do so with that one too.

It's a good strategy. Cash in on them as soon as they have decent value but also retain the ability to bring them back for an affordable fee. It's a chuck shit at the wall and see what sticks strategy that hugely deep pockets can easily afford. They can then also point to all the successful players that were in their system at some point to attract the best to join them.