Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

I mean, Russian bots? Who knows? Perhaps in the insta comments sections but it certainly doesn't appear that way in a lot of cases on twitter.
Folk claiming though that it's not racist? f**k that - the MILD stuff I've seen in the brief time I've seen people highlighting it is the tons of monkey emojis and telling Saka to f**k off back to Nigeria.
Here is one example:
FB_IMG_1626049963652.jpg

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, Russian bots? Who knows? Perhaps in the insta comments sections but it certainly doesn't appear that way in a lot of cases on twitter.

Folk claiming though that it's not racist? f**k that - the MILD stuff I've seen in the brief time I've seen people highlighting it is the tons of monkey emojis and telling Saka to f**k off back to Nigeria.

Buddy (pardon the pun ) I'm hearing bad stuff from London......you up to speed on this?

1 minute ago, TONTROOPER said:

Buddy (pardon the pun ) I'm hearing bad stuff from London......you up to speed on this?

Only what's being mentioned on twitter mate. Someone saying there's 4 folk going about stabbing people but everything is totally unsubstantiated and baseless just now.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m with Danny Baker here. That’s a massive f**k up from the Badger. I’ve no idea where he can go from here. A semi and a final with it on a plate coming up to pens and he makes some dreadful decisions. How much does he get paid along with the rest of the back room staff? 

The goodwill of the nation will carry him through though including all that invasion shit he came away with.  I reckon they’ll be QF at best in the World Cup with Southgate.

On the money here.

Don't get swept up in the hype. In these last two tournaments, England's biggest 'on paper' result was a home win against a side who lost at home to North Macedonia and who Spain beat 6-0.

They've had every conceivable break. From being on the good side of the draw (and laughably good) two tournaments running, to huge advantages in terms of travel, to convenient refereeing. They could not have had any more breaks in the last two tournaments.

Yet they've won hee haw. Tonight was exactly the same tactical f**k up as Croatia 2018. And tonight, as that night, the longer the game went, the more it became clear that they were hugely technically inferior.

Out in the last 8 of the World Cup. At best. And the sad part is, they'll wonder why they've gone backwards when they won't actually have gone backwards at all.

Edited by TheJTS98

Having been out for the evening, and only now seen the post penalty posts, I'll close with... 

Well done Italy, and TFFT... and, 

On the BBC news at 1.00 am,  after the introductory headlines, we heard - "well, you could describe it as a classic Italian job, Italy have snatched the Euro 2020 trophy from England at Wembley and in the most dramatic fashion, on penalties".  "Snatched", "from England". As if it was nicked under cover of darkness from a vault. 

Well, GIRFUY to England and double GIRFUY to the BBC. 

Night all. I might even be able to tune in to 5Live or watch a news programme tomorrow. 🙂

That was absolutely delicious.

Back in the hotel bar after a fantastic day around London and the drama at Wembley. While nobody wants England to win it, the atmosphere(while it was friendly and before the arseholes took over) wouldn’t have been anywhere near as good without them in it.

Discovered pretty quickly I was going to be surrounded by some of the more unpleasant elements of the England support so had to keep it tight lipped during the game but couldn’t hold back during the penalties - definitely thought I was going to get battered when I cheered the England misses.

Well worth the money and the trip.

Wembley Way and the walk up to Wembley was a disgrace but no surprise English fans were trying to break through the turnstiles without tickets - saw at least 20 people getting huckled in my trip to a gate and getting in the turnstile.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Only what's being mentioned on twitter mate. Someone saying there's 4 folk going about stabbing people but everything is totally unsubstantiated and baseless just now.

I'm typing as I assimmilate (yes......the Borg)

joking apart....its what I heard (watching Sky 24/BBC 24)..........so not much truth there.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I was doubting my decision to select Moretti as my drink of choice tonight but thankfully it paid off in the end. 

Taken me a good while to catch up, keep getting distracted by elated posts in various group chat, but I've quoted a bunch of you for a reason, so I'll give yjsi a go.

@Ro Sham Bo upgrade your Birra Moretti to Angelo Poretti, available in Tesco, you won't be disappointed. Drank it every Italy game, so it's a proven winner!

1 hour ago, David W said:

Key moment of the tournament for me; Chiellini pulls up with an injury in one of the group games and just wanders off the pitch. Back for the big matches. Plenty of less experienced players would have played on and finished their tournament.

Very good point. It takes a big man and a big team player to sacrifice himself for the rest of the game for the greater good of his team. Chiellini is that big man, what a guy!

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The funny thing is that Mowbray and Jenas were panicking that Southgate might not get Sancho and Rashford on in time for the penalties. 

It's absolutely hilarious that these two failed to score their penalties. Also hilarious that Jenas claimed Kane was winning the battle with Bonucci when long face Harry got his 3rd or 4th touch of the ball on the half way line after about 40 minutes. Did anyone notice who was on the goal line failing to stop Bonucci from scoring?!

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Top decision by Southgate to bring on Rashford and Sancho.

See above. Hilarious!

30 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

He can't be trusted defensively, it's that simple. And England's defence only looked decent in this tournament because they had a back 7 a lot of the time.

Ran out of greenies by the time I saw this. Completely agree. Grealish in the England side is the epitome of a luxury player. Would look amazing against Andorra etc but against a decent side he weakens the team, forces more effective players like Sterling to change their game and doesn't help defensively.

As for England's 7 (or 8) man defence, it was frustratingly effective. Scoring early was the best thing for them as it meant they could attempt to shitfest their way through the game. I'm so so happy it was only effective for 65 mins in the final.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, plenty of examples of clear non bot accounts though.

image.png.0b75951729a4928ac5965d159c57ad17.png

Fwiw, I've had a few friends of late have their social media account hacked, although this will no doubt act as a highly convenient excuse for genuine bigoted arseholes out there.

That said, when they're hacked, it's usually for somebody's attempted gain, e.g. trying to get personal data through PMs, rather than just being plain nasty.

It's times like this where you see people's real thoughts, i.e. the types that try to appear woke whilst harbouring abhorrent views.  It's for this reason that I believe you can't fully trust somebody unless you've been out on the piss with them. 

I'm finding the whole 'don't worry, this is just another step along the road to winning World Cup 2022' narrative that is emerging a bit bemusing. The point is being made that this tournament saw them go one step further than 2018, and that this crop of players are destined for greater things.

What I find confusing is that it's being played as some sort of litany of continual development from 2017 onwards. Half of the players in this tournament's squad weren't even at WC2018, and some of the players being heralded as the future back then, Alli, Lingard, Dier, for example, have since been discarded and are viewed as joke peripheral figures. Is this some sort of subconscious admission that it's highly likely that some of this 'golden generation' are likely to have disappeared up their own arses by winter 2022?

I can't recall Foden, Mount, Saka, Rashford, Sancho, or Bellingham doing anything of note at all in this entire tournament (except choking penalty kicks), rather everything successful that England did came about through the 'old guard' of Kane and Sterling, so what's to say that the aforementioned youngsters aren't just this cycle's version of Alli and Lingard? Can't say I saw anything in them that would have me particularly excited if I was English.

Perhaps if they had a manager with the brain capacity to develop anything more than a completely sterile and negative defensive system that actually exploited some of this alleged attacking talent, then some of their optimism would be well founded, but as it is it just looks like yet more desperate straw clutching and trying to put a brave face on yet another failure in the face of every advantage possible being handed to them on a plate.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Fwiw, I've had a few friends of late have their social media account hacked, although this will no doubt act as a highly convenient excuse for genuine bigoted arseholes out there.

That said, when they're hacked, it's usually for somebody's attempted gain, e.g. trying to get personal data through PMs, rather than just being plain nasty.

It's times like this where you see people's real thoughts, i.e. the types that try to appear woke whilst harbouring abhorrent views.  It's for this reason that I believe you can't fully trust somebody unless you've been out on the piss with them. 

He had some other 'dodgy' views.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yup, the old 'I didn't mean that , I was drunk' excuse has never flown with me and is actually the total opposite. All the real shit that resides up there comes out when the inhibitions are lowered.

I've drifted away and lost many a friendship due to people being unpleasant with a bevvy in them.

Edited by djchapsticks

Also, back to tonight's game. Had England won that, Harry Maguire's penalty sparking the camera in the goal clean out would have been memed to death by them.

As it is now an afterthought though and will in no way be celebrated,  I can freely admit that it was as cool as f**k and I was very impressed by it.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Also, back to tonight's game. Had England won that, Harry Maguire's penalty sparking the camera in the goal clean out would have been memed to death by them.

As it is now an afterthought though and will in no way be celebrated,  I can freely admit that it was as cool as f**k and I was very impressed by it.

It was some fucking penalty like, worthy of praise. It wrecking the camera made it especially cool. Too bad it was followed by the complete opposite from Rashford, and the subsequent 2 misses.

Oh well...