Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

2 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

A special mention to the referee last night. A man who obviously watches football, as he was well aware of Kane and Sterling’s propensity to fall over repeatedly. A lesson referees in the EPL should learn

As I said last night, I think the referree had Sterling's card marked after that Semi Final effort. And fair play to him for that.

It was noticeable he didn't go down as often, or blatantly as previous matches.

14 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

BBC going with "the best is yet to come" they've won the world cup before they've qualified 

I think they are going to get better because they are now attracting the best coaches to England. I think this will take them up to the same level as Italy, Spain and Germany.

3 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

Don't know who this chap is but it came up in my algorithm this morning. Lovely stuff

I think I would commit a murder if one of those Youtubers was in my vicinity at a football match.

There was at least one at George Square in the afternoon before the Scotland Croatia game and he was desperate seeking any attention. He eventually took the huff after he started filming the people queuing at soup kitchen and was promptly told to bolt by the folk dishing out the soup.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The nick of Cundy here.

"BALANCE THE CONVERSATION!!!"

I know it's TalkSport but what a fucking state to get into as a supposedly professional radio pundit.

BBC going with "the best is yet to come" they've won the world cup before they've qualified 
Did you see the Danny Mills interview (who spoke very well I might add)?
Found the anchor at Wembley's "these are not real fans" quick dismissal of the disgusting scenes and social media outbursts really, really poor.
She getting that in the ear from a producer?

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

A special mention to the referee last night. A man who obviously watches football, as he was well aware of Kane and Sterling’s propensity to fall over repeatedly. A lesson referees in the EPL should learn

He obviously saw his fellow Dutchman fall for it hook, line and sinker in the semi final. 

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

What was bizarre was Henderson getting subbed off again.

I thought he was a regular penalty taker for Liverpool?

A hell of a lot of pressure for young Sako to take the 5th penalty.

I do feel sorry for the 3 penalty missers as the headlines have written themselves already, sadly.

I can't remember Henderson taking penalties for Liverpool, it's always Salah.

He did, however, miss the penalty in the WC shootout v Colombia and also one in a pre tournament friendly this year. I'm sure he'd have taken one but Southgate obviously thought he'd miss.

9 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

Don't know who this chap is but it came up in my algorithm this morning. Lovely stuff

Didn't realise the Italians properly celebrated in front of the English. Beautiful.

9 hours ago, Ric said:

Not sure the point you are making, it's difficult to process combined with officially the worst comedian in the world being shown in gif format, but be aware, as Scots we only look small minded when celebrating an English defeat. No matter the amount of joy that brings, and trust me it's considerable, any nationalist has to rationalist that emotion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fucking ecstatic England lost, but ultimately we need to move on from that singular dimension. We are more than just the rivals to England.

You're right, we shouldn't be viewing our football or our politics through the lens of how we might feel about England. But how many people actually do that? I don't hate England or English people. And outside of major tournaments, I couldn't care less about their football team. But every couple of years, we get their media pumped into ours and if they're ever in danger of winning something, the sense of relief that we don't have to put up with how unbearable they'd be if they actually won something is huge.

Southgate said post match he’d decided who would take the penalties himself. Either doesn’t trust Henderson or Grealish, or knew they’d shy away.
Either way it’s a massive f**k up. Southgates interview suggests it was his choice but you do wonder if the likes of Grealish and Sterling were hiding pre match anyway.
I'm pretty certain the decision was based on their training. They clearly practiced a lot of penalties and the management team have decided to keep a track and play the percentages.

That maked sense - but it leaves them open to huge criticism. They've decided to ignore the pressure element, and that's just not natural.

I'd be taking all the information into the mix and coming to some sort of a balanced decision. Bringing lads on just to hit a penalty is a big, big call - and unlucky for him it just didn't work last night (although I've seen it work before).

22 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

They never learn... last two finals they've been in..both at home...not enough being said about the fact they had home advantage....  

This whole tournament was like the Rugby World Cup. Officially held in England but Scotland Wales and France get their group games at home (Rugby not football). Good riddance to it

8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

For a whole month I've thought "what sort of weirdo wants to watch the entirety of a game they can find out the ft score for on demand (at 2am)?"

Now I know.

Eta: funnier now knowing that Italy won this having offered nothing for the entirety of the first half.

I didn’t appreciate how comfortable our play-off win at Rugby Park was until I watched it again in full. 

I’m pretty sure watching last night’s game again will show how Italy deserved to win it in normal time and England were lucky to get to penalties. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

My stab at TotT. They genuinely have Jack Grealish as an option for this, but not Barella or Verratti.

tott.PNG

Minus Sterling and Pedri, exactly what I picked. 

In fairness I was trying to load it with as many Italians as possible as an act of pettiness. Ronaldo (no Italian available) and Locateli in there instead. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

I've seen this guy before weirdly enough. Him and his old man go around the country watching games and YouTubeing everything. 

They come up to Scotland and watch games, and actually some of his stuff is sillily enjoyable...if you're bored out your nut and fancy listening to an English teenager talk about his experiences at Motherwell v St Mirren or whatever. 

I don't get though why anyone would spend a whole football game not watching it but filming it. Plenty of people do it. I suppose it's just the world we live in..

2 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

This whole tournament was like the Rugby World Cup. Officially held in England but Scotland Wales and France get their group games at home (Rugby not football). Good riddance to it

I thought, ridiculous Baku stadium apart, it was a fabulous tournament.  

1 minute ago, The Master said:

I didn’t appreciate how comfortable our play-off win at Rugby Park was until I watched it again in full. 

I’m pretty sure watching last night’s game again will show how Italy deserved to win it in normal time and England were lucky to get to penalties. 

I thought in real time had Chiesa been able to stay on Italy would have won it in the  very least in 120 minutes. He was starting to over run their defence and thought it was only a matter of time until he got in behind them.