Scotland v Moldova

7 minutes ago, resk said:

Surely it's time to quietly get rid?  Especially as he's now stinking up the Championship instead of the Barclays.  He's done nothing for Scotland IMHO.  

He’s a perfect example of a player we first cap at 26-28, cap no more than 10 times and then allow to disappear into the wilderness.

Surely it's time to quietly get rid?  Especially as he's now stinking up the Championship instead of the Barclays.  He's done nothing for Scotland IMHO.  
Maybe Ferguson instead of him, yeah (unless I'm forgetting someone else). I still think he's the best-suited backup to McGregor, though, if we're expecting Gilmour to start.

Predicted Squad (23):

• Gordon, Marshall, McLaughlin. 
  • Tierney, Cooper, Hanley, McKenna, Hendry. 
  • Robertson, Taylor, O'Donnell, Patterson. 
  • McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Turnbull, Christie.
  • Adams, Dykes, Nisbet, Forrest, Fraser.

At Risk (3):

• Gallagher, Fleck, Armstrong.

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:

My squad:

Goalkeepers

Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly

Defenders

O'Donnell, Patterson, McTominay, Souttar, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Cooper, Robertson, Taylor

Midfielders

Gilmour, McLean, McGregor, Fleck, McGinn, Armstrong, Turnbull

Forwards

Adams, Dykes, Fraser, Christie, Nisbet, Forrest

Pretty much what's expected, I think. I'm wondering if Armstrong will make it as he's not played in Southampton's first two games and has been really poor for Scotland recently.

Couple of pals of mine who follow Sheffield United have said Fleck hasn't been up to scratch recently.  Possible he doesn't get in and a new face comes in.

McLaughlin is the best keeper Scotland have that isn't Gordon, Marshall or McGregor but needs regular game time.

I'd imagine this might be McGregor's final season so we can possibly see the prospect of McLaughlin being Rangers number 1 or moving on because they've signed someone else. I'd go with Gordon for the time being as Scotland number 1 and be patient with McLaughlin and keep him as the 3rd keeper until Gordon's retirement then hopefully we will get 2-3 year out of McLaughlin and by that time someone new has appeared.

On 21/08/2021 at 13:05, 2426255 said:

Josh Doig and Stephen Welsh have been called up to the u21 squad and so they won't make the full squad which also suggests Patterson and even Hickey (perhaps unlikely) will make the full squad.

Doesn't really matter who the U21s call up, if Clarke wants any of them he can take them. I'm sure we've seen it in the past where players get called up for the U21s and are then later announced in the full squad. 

On 21/08/2021 at 16:02, Theyellowbox said:

Dont think you'll find too many Saints fans saying Clark is best keeper in world etc, but is he better than the alternatives for Scotland? Yes. Better than Bain, Kelly and McCrorie.

If you're honest there isn't much between Clark and Kelly, or even Bain. Kelly, Bain and McCrorie have all represented Scotland previously and all of them have at least 4 years on Clark aside from Bain who is the same age. It seems pretty obvious to me why Steve Clarke may favour other keepers over Zander. In any case, he'd be going as third choice keeper so who actually gives a f**k. You could have Susan Boyle as the third choice keeper and it would make very little difference. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

McLaughlin is the best keeper Scotland have that isn't Gordon, Marshall or McGregor but needs regular game time.

I'd imagine this might be McGregor's final season so we can possibly see the prospect of McLaughlin being Rangers number 1 or moving on because they've signed someone else. I'd go with Gordon for the time being as Scotland number 1 and be patient with McLaughlin and keep him as the 3rd keeper until Gordon's retirement then hopefully we will get 2-3 year out of McLaughlin and by that time someone new has appeared.

But you cannot just keep calling up a guy into the squad because he may or may not be Rangers first choice in a few years. I like McLaughlin and think he is a good keeper, but we cannot be expected to rely on a guy who barely plays, especially in goals.

What it all probably indicates is that we dont have any stand out keepers. Marshall is decent, bit sliding. Gordon too and beyond that it's all a bit meh, which is worrying. When you are choosing between Rangers backup to a 39 year old, Celtics 2nd or 3rd choice keeper, St johnstone keeper and a motherwell keeper who couldn't get in the QPR team, it's pretty grim. 

12 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

But you cannot just keep calling up a guy into the squad because he may or may not be Rangers first choice in a few years. I like McLaughlin and think he is a good keeper, but we cannot be expected to rely on a guy who barely plays, especially in goals.

What it all probably indicates is that we dont have any stand out keepers. Marshall is decent, bit sliding. Gordon too and beyond that it's all a bit meh, which is worrying. When you are choosing between Rangers backup to a 39 year old, Celtics 2nd or 3rd choice keeper, St johnstone keeper and a motherwell keeper who couldn't get in the QPR team, it's pretty grim. 

If the alternative to McLaughlin is the likes of Clark or Bain, then you can keep doing that IMO.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Doesn't really matter who the U21s call up, if Clarke wants any of them he can take them. I'm sure we've seen it in the past where players get called up for the U21s and are then later announced squad. 

I can't remember that happening.

4 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Couple of pals of mine who follow Sheffield United have said Fleck hasn't been up to scratch recently.  Possible he doesn't get in and a new face comes in.

Don't see why he should get in ahead of Gauld. Two different sorts of players, but I feel we are more than covered for the more "defensive-minded" midfielders already. Think the rest of that prediction is pretty much spot on, however Armstrong is on a shaky nail in my eyes as he hasn't been playing for Southampton and he has actually been quite poor for Scotland recently. 

Edited by DAFC.

Stuart Armstrong seems to be getting the scapegoat treatment again. He was outstanding for Southampton last year, played well against the Netherlands - anyone remember that game? and was okay against the Czech Republic and England. He is still a good player, so knee jerk.

On 18/08/2021 at 18:39, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Just bought my tickets, really looking forward to a game at Hampden, with a busy crowd, on a Saturday! A rarity indeed.

Not a lot of availability left on the ticket site, so would hope that extra sections will get opened up. What kind of crowd do folks think we are looking at?

I can see it being around 30,000 

On 22/08/2021 at 11:16, EUCFC said:

Tickets will surely be easier to come by for this game? 

Interesting place Moldova in a dark depressing way. 

They are trying to fill the parts of the stands that will show on TV, it also creates a better atmosphere that way.

I am a debenture holder but went via the SSC option as the top tier is not scheduled to open for any of the 3 remaining games (as per the e-mail we were sent) and they planned to move debenture holders to the South stand lower (if open) or elsewhere in the ground.

The SFA certainly are not anticipating any games coming close to selling out.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Stuart Armstrong seems to be getting the scapegoat treatment again. He was outstanding for Southampton last year, played well against the Netherlands - anyone remember that game? and was okay against the Czech Republic and England. He is still a good player, so knee jerk.

I thought he was pretty shite across the Euros

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

He was poor against the Czechs and played about 10 minutes against England. Then poor again against Croatia.

I’d say the above puts a friendly performance in the shade.