English Premier League 2021/22 Season

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Really?  By what measurement?

By the measurement of consistently being at the business end of the Champions League. Sure there's only 3/4 Clubs can win the EPL but the same applies to most leagues.

Plus my opinion which am sure a lot of folk would agree with. Not all of course

Edited by Ken Deans
Forgot something

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Really?  By what measurement?

In the past I have disagreed with the English pundits claiming it is the best and I think it is cyclical so may not be in a few years but right now I think it is.

Serie A - Has the potential to be but they are a bit behind right now although the end of the Juve domination is refreshing.

La Liga - Really the only league who has a case for it but I think it has regressed slightly. Barca and Real may bounce back next year but that will just mean the same 2 horse race it always is with Atleti occasionally competing.

Bundesliga - I'd love this league to be the best, fan culture, attendances, variation of teams below Bayern but Bayern have killed it as a contest so it can't be considered.

What league do you think is the best?

I can see Liverpool dropping points at Arsenal on Wednesday night but I hope they can keep up the momentum until the top two clash in April.
It feels like the kind of game where the 2nd placed team just come out and blow the opposition away to "send a message" to the top team. Arsenal have been good though so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

This was always going to be the downfall of City. They can pass wonderfully and create some great chances but with no out and out striker in the squad never mind on the pitch then they're going to rue their profligacy. Haaland, Kane or even Bruce Anderson scores for fun in that City side...they can play all the fancy football they want but when you're relying on midfielders to play up front you're not going to score as many goals as you should. They need a goalscorer and failing to address that is Pep's biggest failure so far

Last night I believe City broke the record for shots on goal without scoring. Nights like that happen. 

Haaland played against City and didn’t cover himself in glory over the two games. Not sure he fits the way City play. I’m not doubting his prowess as a goal scorer but for me the perfect fit is Kane. He is much more than just a goal scorer. The money spent on Grealish (who will come good I’m sure) would probably have been better spent on the England captain!

That all said City do score a helluva lot and it’s no bad thing not to be over reliant on one forward

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Grealish is pish.

A Brexit signing. 

What is a Brexit signing?

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

This was always going to be the downfall of City. They can pass wonderfully and create some great chances but with no out and out striker in the squad never mind on the pitch then they're going to rue their profligacy. Haaland, Kane or even Bruce Anderson scores for fun in that City side...they can play all the fancy football they want but when you're relying on midfielders to play up front you're not going to score as many goals as you should. They need a goalscorer and failing to address that is Pep's biggest failure so far

Yep. The league leaders, the current Champions, that have won more games than any of the other teams this season and are the second highest goal scorers could have their lead at the top cut tonight. Disaster. What a failure. A collapse is imminent. 

2 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Last night I believe City broke the record for shots on goal without scoring. Nights like that happen. 

Haaland played against City and didn’t cover himself in glory over the two games. Not sure he fits the way City play. I’m not doubting his prowess as a goal scorer but for me the perfect fit is Kane. He is much more than just a goal scorer. The money spent on Grealish (who will come good I’m sure) would probably have been better spent on the England captain!

That all said City do score a helluva lot and it’s no bad thing not to be over reliant on one forward

If only they'd tried to buy him for a rumoured £150m in the summer but got turned down. 

42 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Yep. The league leaders, the current Champions, that have won more games than any of the other teams this season and are the second highest goal scorers could have their lead at the top cut tonight. Disaster. What a failure. A collapse is imminent. 

Clearly they are a very good side but a few times this season they've completely controlled a game, had numerous chances but drawn or lost the game as they've not taken them due to not having a recognised striker. I'm not just talking about their games in the EPL but in Europe too.

EPL Crystal Palace 0-0 D

CL Sporting 0-0 D

EPL Spurs 3-2 L

EPL Southampton 1-1 D

EPL Crystal Palace 2-0 L

LC West Ham 0-0 D (lost on penalties)

EPL Southampton 0-0 D

I'm not saying they should be winning every game and I haven't included every draw or loss in that list, those are just the games that they've not won but been dominant the entire game. If they had an out and out striker then I reckon they'd have won most of those games.

You can’t seriously be using the Sporting game to back your argument? City scored 5 (five) in Lisbon

West Ham in the LC was a team with a number of changes although still should have been enough and City do have a great recent record in that tournament 

32 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Clearly they are a very good side but a few times this season they've completely controlled a game, had numerous chances but drawn or lost the game as they've not taken them due to not having a recognised striker. I'm not just talking about their games in the EPL but in Europe too.

EPL Crystal Palace 0-0 D

CL Sporting 0-0 D

EPL Spurs 3-2 L

EPL Southampton 1-1 D

EPL Crystal Palace 2-0 L

LC West Ham 0-0 D (lost on penalties)

EPL Southampton 0-0 D

I'm not saying they should be winning every game and I haven't included every draw or loss in that list, those are just the games that they've not won but been dominant the entire game. If they had an out and out striker then I reckon they'd have won most of those games.

I can't stand City but I just find the criticism they get basically for not being 100% perfect every game is remarkable, probably driven by non-football reasons in most cases, They've scored 5 goals less than the much vaunted, free scoring Liverpool side, albeit they have a game in hand. It's not exactly 1-0 to the Arsenal stuff. 

3 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Most of their chances were before the 70th minute though - then they ran out of steam and were fortunate not to be picked off on the break in the closing stages. That's down to poor management and a lack of freshness: they had more than enough capable options on the bench who could have broken the deadlock. 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That is purely subjective.  How many players have won the ballon d’Or whilst playing in the English Premiership?

Aye and subjectively someone might think Kirk Broadfoot is better than Messi. I think most people can form a solid objective judgement. 

Using the Ballon d'Or as a measurement of a players ability isn't worthwhile imo. 

What league would you see has a better standard? I'll happily do an 11 vs 11. 

11 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

I can't stand City but I just find the criticism they get basically for not being 100% perfect every game is remarkable, probably driven by non-football reasons in most cases, They've scored 5 goals less than the much vaunted, free scoring Liverpool side, albeit they have a game in hand. It's not exactly 1-0 to the Arsenal stuff. 

It's driven by the fact they are the most expensively assembled football team in the history of the sport and yet consistently fail when it matters.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That is purely subjective.  How many players have won the ballon d’Or whilst playing in the English Premiership?

Football is a team sport, not an individual sport.

Current European & World champions are English

Both Champions League finalists last season were English

5 of last 8 finalists are English.

Football success is cyclical and Spain had a period of dominance before that but right now, English Premiership is the dominant force 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's driven by the fact they are the most expensively assembled football team in the history of the sport and yet consistently fail when it matters.

Fail when it matters? 

City have consistently succeeded when it matters other than the Leicester blip and losing out to an exceptional Liverpool team.

UCL success will come probably this season or next but City supporters are not obsessed over this Cup competition as others are and are pretty bored of it being used as a yardstick to measure  their success. 

Not sure the claim they are the most expensive team in the history of the sport either as United and PSG have spent equally without the same level of success