English Premier League 2021/22 Season

45 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

Fail when it matters? 

City have consistently succeeded when it matters other than the Leicester blip and losing out to an exceptional Liverpool team.

UCL success will come probably this season or next but City supporters are not obsessed over this Cup competition as others are and are pretty bored of it being used as a yardstick to measure  their success. 

Not sure the claim they are the most expensive team in the history of the sport either as United and PSG have spent equally without the same level of success 

The CL yardstick for success has been set by their petrostate owners because they are determined to win it above all others. That's why Guardiola is there - not for the Manchester weather or 30,000 fans.

Really not sure that letting a 1000/1 shot canter to the league counts as a 'blip' either. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The CL yardstick for success has been set by their petrostate owners because they are determined to win it above all others. That's why Guardiola is there - not for the Manchester weather or 30,000 fans.

Really not sure that letting a 1000/1 shot canter to the league counts as a 'blip' either. 

The drivel that surrounds City by those that have never been there is unbelievable. 

Not sure the last time City had a home crowd of 30,000 but it’s actually more difficult to get a ticket for a league there than it is to get one at Ibrox. 

You can get a ticket for most , if not all , home Champions League games as the support and club have long running issues with UEFA! That said there was a great crowd for the Lisbon game considering the tie was done after away leg

Go on. Slag off the atmosphere for the Full House 

Why would anyone have to 'be there' to point out clearly observable facts in the public domain? 

You can keep alluding to your 'problems' - read pointless mewling - about UEFA all you want, but the reality is that your hierarchy is obsessed by winning that trophy just as badly as their Qatari counterparts at PSG. And your efforts have so far ended in repeated failure in some of the most amusing ways possible (also like PSG). 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would anyone have to 'be there' to point out clearly observable facts in the public domain? 

You can keep alluding to your 'problems' - read pointless mewling - about UEFA all you want, but the reality is that your hierarchy is obsessed by winning that trophy just as badly as their Qatari counterparts at PSG. And your efforts have so far ended in repeated failure in some of the most amusing ways possible (also like PSG). 

You claim Peps there with the sole purpose of winning a Cup. If this was true why was he not sacked for losing the final last season where his tinkering with team led to losing to a pretty average Chelsea? Not playing Rodri or even Fernandinho was a huge mistake 

Why has Peps ‘failures’ led to him being given a contract extension? 

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

A: Because Guardiola is an elite level manager and Man City could not attract an available replacement on the market. 

BUT you claimed the whole reason he is here is to win the UCL but he’s failed and he got an extension! 

He’s here to bring continued success and to carry on as he has! 

City will win the Champions League this season or next but without the continued domestic success winning a Cup is not going to cut it with the support. Being Top Dogs in England means much more 

21 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

The struggle that Man Utd have experienced and are still experiencing to replace SAF is testament to that 

City have had continued success with Mancini , Pelegrinni and now Pep. 

Uniteds failings is their arrogance and unwillingness to build a team capable of competing and looking for instant success. 

They have won a recent European Trophy though 😂👍

If Pep never wins the Champions League with Man City it will always be the black mark brought up whenever anyone reviews his time there, regardless of his domestic success.

I’m sure City fans dismissing the relevance of the Champions League will be equally nonchalant if they were to ever win it.

2 hours ago, AB1872 said:

BUT you claimed the whole reason he is here is to win the UCL but he’s failed and he got an extension! 

Who would they appoint who would guarantee a CL final appearance and win? 

As Manchester City aren't run by total morons like yourself, they're fully aware that having Guardiola on board in spite of his failures continues to give them a better chance of winning the CL than appointing some obvious haddy or just a random ex-player like their neighbours have done. That doesn't mean that their routine flops in the CL aren't critical failures though and if Guardiola leaves without a CL then the relationship will ultimately have been a failure.

If they just wanted to win a Premiership every other season, they could have just kept appointing replacement-level Mancini/Pellegrini figures and changed nothing else. 

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

Who would they appoint who would guarantee a CL final appearance and win? 

As Manchester City aren't run by total morons like yourself, they're fully aware that having Guardiola on board in spite of his failures continues to give them a better chance of winning the CL than appointing some obvious haddy or just a random ex-player like their neighbours have done. That doesn't mean that their routine flops in the CL aren't critical failures though and if Guardiola leaves without a CL then the relationship will ultimately have been a failure.

If they just wanted to win a Premiership every other season, they could have just kept appointing replacement-level Mancini/Pellegrini figures and changed nothing else. 

You must have missed the bit where I said I fully expect Pep to win the Champions League with City. This season or next or even both

You say any Haddy could win the league but then you only have to look at United who have spent more or less the same with proven managers such as Mourinho (last manager to win UCL with team outside the top 5 leagues) Van Gaal and are struggling to make Top 4!

If City win UCL this season but lose league to Liverpool the support will not be happy. I fully expect them to win both though. 

As someone that has gone to watch City for many years and who talks to City fans most days I think I’m far better qualified in knowing what City see as success and failure than some random Morton fan on an Internet forum 

17 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

By the measurement of consistently being at the business end of the Champions League. Sure there's only 3/4 Clubs can win the EPL but the same applies to most leagues.

Plus my opinion which am sure a lot of folk would agree with. Not all of course

16 hours ago, ahemps said:

In the past I have disagreed with the English pundits claiming it is the best and I think it is cyclical so may not be in a few years but right now I think it is.

Serie A - Has the potential to be but they are a bit behind right now although the end of the Juve domination is refreshing.

La Liga - Really the only league who has a case for it but I think it has regressed slightly. Barca and Real may bounce back next year but that will just mean the same 2 horse race it always is with Atleti occasionally competing.

Bundesliga - I'd love this league to be the best, fan culture, attendances, variation of teams below Bayern but Bayern have killed it as a contest so it can't be considered.

What league do you think is the best?

You are right in the 'best league' is both subjective and cyclical. From a historical perspective there is absolutely no doubt that La Liga is dominant over the past 10 years, past 20 years, past 30 years etc. etc. Other leagues might have a few years in the sun, but it will be a long time before any league comes close to supplanting La Ligas historical dominance in both Europes premier and second tier cup competition.

And that is reflected in the fact that the best players tend to go to La Liga. it's where Ronaldo and Messi spent the bulk of their careers, and looks likely to be where Mbappe will end up.

Even if other leagues, Spanish coaches and players are prevalent.

The English media insist their league is the best, and of course they do, that's the product they are selling. They might be right now, but they've been saying it for decades whilst clearly wrong and will no doubt keep peddling it when Real win another three CLs on the trot.

The USP the Premier League had, taking money from any gangster or dictatorship, is a bit shaky now that Abramovich has been kicked out. Excluding Oligarchs Chelsea, there has been 1 English winner of the CL in the last 13 years.

It depends on what is meant by "best" I suppose. If it refers to quality then the EPL has a shout. If it refers to entertainment then it's a whole other story. They love to go OTT with the "this is why this is the best league in world!!!?!?" when the EPL dishes up a rare cracking entertainment match but they seem to forget the number of utterly boring snoozefests the division throws up; and I don't mean when it's shite like Burnley Vs Norwich, the number of 0-0/1-0 when the big sides meet is truly incredible. They hype it up all week and then you sit through it on a Sunday only to wish you were in a dentist's chair instead.

It's certainly the most over-hyped division in the entire world, that's for sure.