English Premier League 2021/22 Season

8 hours ago, AB1872 said:

You must have missed the bit where I said I fully expect Pep to win the Champions League with City. This season or next or even both

Good for you. But if they fail, then that will be a serious failure for Guardiola and the ownership. That's what they're both there to do.

You say any Haddy could win the league but then you only have to look at United who have spent more or less the same with proven managers such as Mourinho (last manager to win UCL with team outside the top 5 leagues) Van Gaal and are struggling to make Top 4!

Any haddy could win the league with the squad that Man City had already assembled, yes. Which is why Manuel Pellegrini has an English title to his name and no other honour in European football other than an Intertoto Cup 'triumph'. 

As someone that has gone to watch City for many years and who talks to City fans most days I think I’m far better qualified in knowing what City see as success and failure than some random Morton fan on an Internet forum 

Nice try, but the question was actually about what the Manchester City club hierarchy consider to be success and failure. If I wanted to know what Manchester City fans had to say about, I'd just listen to that boring c**t Noel Gallagher. 

Seeing as traipsing down to Manchester does not actually put in the loop with the vile, petrostate owners of your club, you're not better qualified in any way whatsoever to state what their understanding of success is. Which is probably why this thread hasn't worked out as well for you as planned. 

Manchester City Exceed Manchester United's Total Operating Revenue By €87 MILLION Margin. A new report by the Athletic has revealed information from KPMG that highlights the fact that Manchester City earned more in revenue than Manchester United last season, for the first time in their history.12 Jan 2022

——————

I think the owners will be quite pleased with Peps work in City’s continued success 

The owners use the club to promote themselves globally and the exposure they achieve worldwide from continued domestic success far outweighs winning a Champions League. 

The  point I was originally replying to was a poster claiming city failed when it mattered. That is just utter nonsense 

When it mattered (for a professional football club - not a hedge fund) = beating chumps like Lyon in the CL knockout stages to win the tournament as favourites. 

Failure = confirmed and sustained. Although good 'exposure' for a petrostate, I'm sure, to get humiliated on a continental and global stage each year. The Qataris certainly seem to think so. 

But feel free to keep producing accounts figures as if that will make your wagon-circling exercise more dignified. 

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

When it mattered (for a professional football club - not a hedge fund) = beating chumps like Lyon in the CL knockout stages to win the tournament as favourites. 

Failure = confirmed and sustained. Although good 'exposure' for a petrostate, I'm sure, to get humiliated on a continental and global stage each year. The Qataris certainly seem to think so. 

But feel free to keep producing accounts figures as if that will make your wagon-circling exercise more dignified. 

Humiliated? 

You’re at it now. 

I was at the ‘VAR’ quarter final and City were far from humiliated.

Ive seen them play Barca off the park when they had Messi , Suarez and Neymar upfront 

They were in last years final and should have won. Only Pep knows why he didn’t start either Rodri or Fernandinho! That was Peps only failing.

That said ask any City fan if they’d swap that Agueroooooooo moment for a Champions League and we both know the answer! ( I know it wasn’t Pep) 

19 hours ago, AB1872 said:

You can’t seriously be using the Sporting game to back your argument? City scored 5 (five) in Lisbon

West Ham in the LC was a team with a number of changes although still should have been enough and City do have a great recent record in that tournament 

Why wouldn't I use it as an argument? City dominated the game but couldn't convert their chances and therefor didn't win the game...that's literally my entire argument

19 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

I can't stand City but I just find the criticism they get basically for not being 100% perfect every game is remarkable, probably driven by non-football reasons in most cases, They've scored 5 goals less than the much vaunted, free scoring Liverpool side, albeit they have a game in hand. It's not exactly 1-0 to the Arsenal stuff. 

City have been my English team (i know, i know) for a while now and the success they're having these days is phenomenal. My criticism isn't about them not being 100% perfect every game, I'm purely stating that they'd be cantering to the league and potentially the UCL with a top quality striker in that team. The utter dominance they have in games over the last season or two is frightening and the chances that they pass up is surely a concern for Pep. Just imagine if peak Aguero was in the side this season...there's a good chance he'd be Messi 2012 levels of goals

3 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Say what you want about The Barclays hype train, it's worked.

It the most watched league in world sport, never mind football.

Absolutely, fake it till you make it. Richard Scudamore did an excellent job with marketing the EPL, for a long time the only league with a semblance of professionalism.

Still have a long way to go before being the more successful or attracting the very best players.

They also benefitted from being broadcast in English but you do wonder if the growing Hispanic community in the US will prefer La Liga. And the research shows young people now don't tend to watch full matches any more, the league with the best 5 mins highlights might be the winner.

Plenty of time, and plenty more pendulum swings to come. The ousting of Abramovich is an existential crisis for the EPL, hard to see the Newcastle takeover happening were it to be put forward now.

Edited by Satoshi

9 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Plenty of time, and plenty more pendulum swings to come. The ousting of Abramovich is an existential crisis for the EPL, hard to see the Newcastle takeover happening were it to be put forward now.

Yeah, English football always seems so close to a total implosion with the money and amounts of debt being thrown around.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Yeah, English football always seems so close to a total implosion with the money and amounts of debt being thrown around.

Given how easy it is to stream football for free, the massive TV deal underpinning the EPL (and other top leagues) is getting close to just being a charity - paid the old and those not tech saavy.

It's partly why those caught receive such stiff sentences - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-online-live-stream-jailed-prison-fraud-epl-a8832696.html - but it's very much locking the door after the horse has bolted.

There is a middle way where, for a relatively low cost, people would prefer the convenience and quality of a paid for service - but that's at the £5 a month market - not £60 a month.

The league which is a non stop implosion is the Championship, a horrific league in pretty much every way. I have no doubt they have will plenty of owners worse than Abramovich.

3 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Given how easy it is to stream football for free, the massive TV deal underpinning the EPL (and other top leagues) is getting close to just being a charity - paid the old and those not tech saavy.

It's partly why those caught receive such stiff sentences - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-online-live-stream-jailed-prison-fraud-epl-a8832696.html - but it's very much locking the door after the horse has bolted.

There is a middle way where, for a relatively low cost, people would prefer the convenience and quality of a paid for service - but that's at the £5 a month market - not £60 a month.

The league which is a non stop implosion is the Championship, a horrific league in pretty much every way. I have no doubt they have will plenty of owners worse than Abramovich.

Not that severe a sentence for an operation that netted them literally millions! The kind of person that runs that kind of operation would think the risk to reward was worth it.

IPTV business is worth tens of millions. It has become more widespread since the authorities managed to close it down last time and far more reliable. The way it is set up now it’s more or less impossible to shut it down completely as they did a few years ago and that’s before you consider the amount of free , less reliable but decent, streams! 

It baffles me the money that these TV companies throw at the EPL but it doesn’t look like slowing down anytime soon and I’m pretty sure we will see the British transfer record smashed this summer and possibly another record transfer window with Arsenal , United , City and possibly Spurs (if Kane goes) spending eye watering amounts of money. 

Recent transfers fees are just ridiculous £100 million Grealish , £50 million Ben Chillwell and Nathan Ake £40 million just to name a few. You have to think it has to end sometime but as long as the monies coming in it will be spent

3 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

City have been my English team (i know, i know) for a while now and the success they're having these days is phenomenal. My criticism isn't about them not being 100% perfect every game, I'm purely stating that they'd be cantering to the league and potentially the UCL with a top quality striker in that team. The utter dominance they have in games over the last season or two is frightening and the chances that they pass up is surely a concern for Pep. Just imagine if peak Aguero was in the side this season...there's a good chance he'd be Messi 2012 levels of goals

I know what you mean but I just feel it's being hypercritical to be honest. Probably all teams have 'if only' scenarios. I'm no tactical expert but they might not play exactly the same way with an out and out striker. Peak Aguero was something else as a scorer but don't forget Pep dropped him and there was even talk of him being sold as he didn't fit his system. Anyway, I'm sure it's a problem most other teams would love to have!

13 hours ago, AB1872 said:

You must have missed the bit where I said I fully expect Pep to win the Champions League with City. This season or next or even both

You say any Haddy could win the league but then you only have to look at United who have spent more or less the same with proven managers such as Mourinho (last manager to win UCL with team outside the top 5 leagues) Van Gaal and are struggling to make Top 4!

If City win UCL this season but lose league to Liverpool the support will not be happy. I fully expect them to win both though. 

As someone that has gone to watch City for many years and who talks to City fans most days I think I’m far better qualified in knowing what City see as success and failure than some random Morton fan on an Internet forum 

4 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Manchester City Exceed Manchester United's Total Operating Revenue By €87 MILLION Margin. A new report by the Athletic has revealed information from KPMG that highlights the fact that Manchester City earned more in revenue than Manchester United last season, for the first time in their history.12 Jan 2022

——————

I think the owners will be quite pleased with Peps work in City’s continued success 

The owners use the club to promote themselves globally and the exposure they achieve worldwide from continued domestic success far outweighs winning a Champions League. 

The  point I was originally replying to was a poster claiming city failed when it mattered. That is just utter nonsense 

This is classic Old Firm whataboutery from Man City fans and shows the permanent chip on the shoulder they have and always will. United must be compared and brought into everything. Laughing at them 'only' winning the UEFA Cup, an event that in it's own right equaled City's European trophy haul  (Cup Winners Cup 1969-70), is peak Napoleon complex stuff. 

They probably count that headline as a trophy even though most folk know you can't trust City's accountancy practices one inch. United are owned and run with basically everyone above the manager having no experience of football. Combined with the disastrous Woodward in charge it's no surprise they become the complete shambles they have. What really rankles though is no matter the short term success City have, they will never be as respected as United or even Liverpool and maybe Arsenal, clubs with long term histories and success organically financed by their own achievements. It's like the council house lottery winners moving into Knightsbridge or Kensington. 

Fellow Bristol Uni Bankers Club member Richard Arnold replacing Woodward at United will probably make no difference. All the signs are they are going to continue down their route to total mediocrity by appointing Pochettino, another manager that's already peaked. A declining club appointing a declining manager seems about right. If yesterday's news that the Glazers are looking to rebuild Old Trafford with one option being a Spurs style new stadium complete with retractable American football pitch is actually true then it suggests the Glazers are going nowhere soon. That'll be another trophy for City fans. 

There is no one that I can think of in football more favourably spoken of than Alexander Arnold, from the use of his first name, to the treating of every forward pass like he is prime Pirlo, to the complete ignoring of the fact he is a defensive liability.

Its not even as if he is Englands golden boy at National level either. Totally baffling.