English Premier League 2021/22 Season

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Shite I’m afraid.  Other than a great decade from the mid 60’s - mid 1970’s and a financially doped spell in the 90’s-00’s, Leeds have been pretty irrelevant.

To say they are comparable to Man City or Newcastle, is obviously nonsense.  They are closer to West Brom.

Other than the fact Newcastle have won more trophies and have bigger historical and current attendances, you can look at league records.

Leeds have played 52 seasons in the top flight, 44 outwith (including 3 in league one).

Newcastle have played 90 seasons in the top flight, 29 outwith (none in third tier).

Premiership era only;

Leeds 14 prem, 16 outwith.

Newcastle 26 prem, 2 outwith.

There’s not even a debate to be had on this one.

There is no one, and i mean no one, who's a member of this forum that was alive when Newcastle United was the best team in England, Sheffield Wednesday have the same amount of League trophies, and haven't gone as long without success, Newcastle are no marks who do nothing more than make up the numbers, they're southampton, although to be fair to the saints, they've won stuff within the living memory of a 60 year old.

35 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Have you never heard of Clachnacudden, Inverness Thistle or Caledonian? Three clubs with fantastic history. 

Thistle & Caley may have merged but individually they had rich histories as has ICT in their 25 years.

Old firm fans up north are pathetic.

I am roughly aware of how Caley were formed but my point was really that the forming clubs were not part of the main Scottish leagues so I presume some ‘old firm’ fans would have those clubs as their local team and generally have been more of an acceptable thing with no real conflict from it. 

18 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Amazing how money can make they worries disappear eh?

04BE313A-B959-4A42-9037-5C9C1199AB84.jpeg

Its your fault if your choosing to take a wage from them

"Aye but other teams are doing it too"

Alan Shearer on helping to enable human rights abuses

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Shite I’m afraid.  Other than a great decade from the mid 60’s - mid 1970’s and a financially doped spell in the 90’s-00’s, Leeds have been pretty irrelevant.

To say they are comparable to Man City or Newcastle, is obviously nonsense.  They are closer to West Brom.

Other than the fact Newcastle have won more trophies and have bigger historical and current attendances, you can look at league records.

Leeds have played 52 seasons in the top flight, 44 outwith (including 3 in league one).

Newcastle have played 90 seasons in the top flight, 29 outwith (none in third tier).

Premiership era only;

Leeds 14 prem, 16 outwith.

Newcastle 26 prem, 2 outwith.

There’s not even a debate to be had on this one.

To be fair Leeds were the last team to win the old First Division before it became the Premier League but apart from that, I agree largely irrelevant. 

Will be interesting to see what happens at NUFC right enough. Is financial fair play still a thing? There's always a way around that anyway. 

Who will their first big signing be? 

Sunderland fans will be absolutely spewing.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Have you never heard of Clachnacudden, Inverness Thistle or Caledonian? Three clubs with fantastic history. 

Thistle & Caley may have merged but individually they had rich histories as has ICT in their 25 years.

Old firm fans are pathetic.

FTFY.

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Newcastle fans getting in plenty of advanced hubris since the takeover. This is going to be funny as f**k when they're still cutting about mid-table at best and failing to win silverware in three seasons time emoji23.png

They will still be shiite. 

12 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair Leeds were the last team to win the old First Division before it became the Premier League but apart from that, I agree largely irrelevant. 

Will be interesting to see what happens at NUFC right enough. Is financial fair play still a thing? There's always a way around that anyway. 

Who will their first big signing be ? 

Sunderland fans will be absolutely spewing.

See the source image

Newcastle United are undoubtedly a big club in English terms. These riches are going to elevate them to the next level. There was talk in the past of them increasing the capacity of St James Park - I don’t think it’s unrealistic to believe that will be something they will probably pursue in the years to come when they start consistently winning.

2 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Nowhere near enough attention has been paid to this hilarious joke I made earlier.

The stray cat will give birth to kittens, brother. 

2 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Alan Shia.

This, however, is fucking brilliant. 

Newcastle are obviously a big club. Anyone with their average attendance is, helps being a one club city mind.

They've not won a domestic trophy for over 60 years though, they're long past being a sleeping giant, or underachieving. Newcastle being a dogshit mid to lower table outfit is the norm. Outwith the obvious candidates above them, there's easily another half dozen who may get 10-15,000 less through the gates but are as big or bigger.

English football has so many ‘big’ clubs with a great history but it’s not surprising given their population and the fact they were the first to have professional league football.
When I was growing up in the 70s I am sure Villa had the record for number FA Cup and League Cup wins.
They also had a large amount of league wins but most were in the 1800s.
Everton were also a club that were talked about as being part of the big 5 in the late 80s and big team Spurs have never won the league since The Beatles had their first hit single!

Newcastle have been ‘my English team’ for donkeys years. The teams I follow are listed in my signature text. For my sins, etc. Anyway, looking at the images of pissed-up Geordies wearing tea towels on their heads and dressing like Arabs is, at best, extremely cringeworthy. At worst, it looks like they couldn’t give a fcuk if they’d been bought by the Taliban and the ghost of Jimmy Saville, as long as they can now afford Lionel Messi.

Has Steve Bruce been bagged yet? I mean sacked by the new owners - not  literally thrown into a bag and dumped in the Tyne…. Although, that might be right up their street.

Edited by pozbaird