Best dish you can cook

a stolen recipe from elsewhere but:

• fusilli pasta
  • baby spinach
  • chopped chorizo
  • chicken breast strips
  • parmesan (flakes, grated or powder, doesnt really make a difference)
  • double cream
  • butter

Start boiling the pasta, cook the chicken on the grill, fry the chorizo in butter. Then mix the chicken in with the chorizo and stir it about, the chicken picks up the oil and colour from the chorizo. Pour in the double cream, add parmesan, add baby spinach. Stir it about. Drain the pasta, add the sauce once it's thickened up and the spinach has wilted, stir it about to mix the sauce in with the pasta and bon appetit.

It's a nice, simple one to cook with just a handful of different ingredients, but it's a regular request in the house. I like it, theres not much faffing about and not too many dishes/utensils needed to make something thats really tasty. edit: its rich enough that you dont even need to add any salt or pepper imo.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

My Quiches.

Secret is the shop bought shortcrust pastry is rolled out as thin as I can (about 1mm) then blind baked. Probably about a fifth of the pastry you'll find in a shop bought quiche so the pastry is basically just there to hold the egg and filling/topping.

The goats cheese and roasted red pepper always goes down a storm.

Chilli con carne.

It's not difficult. Just a load of steak mince, some tomatoes and peppers, a tin of kidney beans and if I'm feeling adventurous I'll throw in some pancetta/lardons just to give it extra flavour and texture. If I've got a jar of olives, I'll throw a few of those in too.

I'll spice it  up so that it's fairly hot but not so hot that it rips me a new arsehole in the morning.

I don't bother with rice. I'll have it with some crusty bread and grated cheese.

Edited by Paul Kersey

My student meal of note was corned beef hash. Tin of corned beef, boiled tatties, perhaps controversially a tin of sweet corn, pepper and butter. I ate it out of the pot to save on the washing up.

Otherwise apple crumble.

6 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Chilli con carne.

It's not difficult. Just a load of steak mince, some tomatoes and peppers, a tin of kidney beans and if I'm feeling adventurous I'll through in some pancetta/lardons just to give it extra flavour and texture. If I've got a jar of olives, I'll throw a few of those in too.

I'll spice it  up so that it's fairly hot but not so hot that it rips me a new arsehole in the morning.

I don't bother with rice. I'll have it with some crusty bread and grated cheese.

I'm making one tomorrow with streaky bacon and red wine.

My dish I like making is arroz al horno. Spanish oven rice.

Folks jaws drop when you bring it out but it's so easy to make.

20210423_162149.jpg

41 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Chilli con carne.

It's not difficult. Just a load of steak mince, some tomatoes and peppers, a tin of kidney beans and if I'm feeling adventurous I'll throw in some pancetta/lardons just to give it extra flavour and texture. If I've got a jar of olives, I'll throw a few of those in too.

I agree that you do not need rice.  The beans do the trick.  When I was younger I did not like the beans.  Now I could not have chili without.

I use to make chili without using cumin seeds.  Not any more.  Another essential ingredient.

Kedgeree. 

Smoked haddock, water rice, curry powder (a bit on the hot side obviously), chopped flat leaf parsley, boiled eggs, lemon juice and butter.

Also plenty of cardamon seeds.  It is a bit fiddly getting the seeds out of the pods but a half teaspoon or more makes all the difference.

Edited by Fullerene

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Given some of the pish threads on here there’s definitely scope for more than one food related one.

Tbh you aren't wrong.

Making monkfish cheek scampi tonight & yuzu dill aioli.

(Ugliest fish ever btw.)

18 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

My Quiches.

Secret is the shop bought shortcrust pastry is rolled out as thin as I can (about 1mm) then blind baked. Probably about a fifth of the pastry you'll find in a shop bought quiche so the pastry is basically just there to hold the egg and filling/topping.

The goats cheese and roasted red pepper always goes down a storm.

How many eggs do you use and what size dish? Whilst mine are always tasty, they always just seem to flatten after coming out the oven.