Alloa Athletic v East Fife

Less than two and half hours to KO and still no Match Thread, expectations of both sets of Fans obviously at fever pitch!!!
Absolutely no idea how it’s going to go today, was expecting us to get humped last week but instead we were Top of the League for thirty seconds (and I’ve got the photos to prove it), the squad has been strengthened this week and we’re also hopeful for the return of a couple of bodies from injury, so I’m feeling a bit better about this game, pre-match than I was this time last week, but we’ll see how it goes!!!

2-1 East Fife with a Barrie Moffat hat trick and Steve Ramsay getting a consolation double for Alloa!!!

HT
Alloa Athletic 1-0 East Fife
Disappointing to be a goal down we’ve coped with everything they’ve tried to through at us and after a quick breakaway after a period of pressure from us we find ourselves losing but we’ve had the better chances, a goal should come!!!
IMG_1628347864.677549.jpg

Funny old Alloa team with 4 centre backs and 2 full backs and it showed really, pretty disjointed for the most part. To be fair, injuries forced the manager's hand a bit there. First half was poor fare and it was a bit of class from Scougall, who was a level above throughout, to create our goal, albeit rash defending from the boy he skinned. I didn't think either side deserved the lead at h/t. 

East Fife came out fired up and scored a terrific goal to equalise and generally looked the better side for the next wee spell. Had they taken any of the chances they created in that spell I've no doubt they would have won. They didn't though and Sammon then appeared from nowhere to give us the lead, followed immediately by a very well worked goal with Scougall again to the fore. That minute or so effectively won us the game. 

An awful lot of work to be done with this Alloa team. That performance wouldn't win too many games. Robertson, Trouten and Cawley would certainly make a difference though and hopefully those who played today will take confidence from the win and aspects of the performance. 

17 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Funny old Alloa team with 4 centre backs and 2 full backs and it showed really, pretty disjointed for the most part. To be fair, injuries forced the manager's hand a bit there. First half was poor fare and it was a bit of class from Scougall, who was a level above throughout, to create our goal, albeit rash defending from the boy he skinned. I didn't think either side deserved the lead at h/t. 

East Fife came out fired up and scored a terrific goal to equalise and generally looked the better side for the next wee spell. Had they taken any of the chances they created in that spell I've no doubt they would have won. They didn't though and Sammon then appeared from nowhere to give us the lead, followed immediately by a very well worked goal with Scougall again to the fore. That minute or so effectively won us the game. 

An awful lot of work to be done with this Alloa team. That performance wouldn't win too many games. Robertson, Trouten and Cawley would certainly make a difference though and hopefully those who played today will take confidence from the win and aspects of the performance. 

We watched completely different games.

As Waspie said  EF could have gone 3 1 up with the chances but instead we did , fine margins indeed

Good performances from Scougall taggs and Boyd , and i thought hutton was excellent in goals , his throw to taggs which led to the scougall boyd move for the goal was 

crucial and caught EF on the hop .

31 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

There's always going to be different perspectives! But around the hour mark East Fife were on top, they were creating opportunities and the stats at that point were very much in their favour. Had they gone ahead then the narrative would be very different. They didn't, we scored two very good quick goals and it was game over. Fine margins indeed as Vegetableman said. 

If we're sticking with that formation I'd like to see Howie go into the back three with Andy and Durnan when injuries ease. Thought Durnan did well today and particularly so when he hadn't played previously.  Really encouraging to see Scougall so influential. Ideally it would be good to get him a bit more central. Taggs was excellent and the strikers should gain in confidence with their goals. We have good players to bring back in. There is potentially a good team in there. 

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don’t think so the result papered over a number of issues. East Fife could have been out of sight in the 

2nd half we failed to turn up for first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. 

Church appeared  out his depth caught out of position on numerous occasions 

Salmond scored but some of his link up play was poor. 

Good to get a win and score 3 goals in the process. 

Hutton did well overall today but for a couple of interesting passes out to Durnan in the first half and his positioning for the East Fife goal (hell of a strike to be fair!) and he had a crucial save just before half time and then again at 1-1. I said he looked awful under crosses previously but he was absolutely solid under them today. 

Back 5 were as comfortable as could be in the first half, and I was surprised how poor EF were in the first 45, but they were the better team in the 2nd half up until Sammon scored. Centre halves seemed to drop a level after half time having played well in the first half, and it was like last season again having trouble dealing with simple long balls pumped up at them. Taggs was excellent down the right with a key role in 2 goals, but Church still flatters to deceive on the left. 

Howie brought a real bite in to the middle of the park and I thought he was excellent today. King continues to be an absolute passenger though - I’ve no idea what he is supposed to be bringing to the team to be honest. 

Boyd took his goals well and also helped out tracking back again, and I thought Scougall was comfortably the best player on the park - great work on both his assists. 

Despite his goal, thought Sammon was awful today, although the goal seemed to spark him in to life in the last 15-20 mins. Would probably accept a poor performance if he then does what he did today and nips in with a crucial goal, but he was a frustrating watch today. 

49 minutes ago, Waspie said:

There's always going to be different perspectives! But around the hour mark East Fife were on top, they were creating opportunities and the stats at that point were very much in their favour. Had they gone ahead then the narrative would be very different. They didn't, we scored two very good quick goals and it was game over. Fine margins indeed as Vegetableman said. 

If we're sticking with that formation I'd like to see Howie go into the back three with Andy and Durnan when injuries ease. Thought Durnan did well today and particularly so when he hadn't played previously.  Really encouraging to see Scougall so influential. Ideally it would be good to get him a bit more central. Taggs was excellent and the strikers should gain in confidence with their goals. We have good players to bring back in. There is potentially a good team in there. 

Yeah I don't disagree the 20 minutes was rough.. I thought we were pretty methodical though through the first half and East Fife fired in a worldy and then had the wind in their sails. As soon as the second went in I thought we were back on easy street.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yeah I don't disagree the 20 minutes was rough.. I thought we were pretty methodical though through the first half and East Fife fired in a worldy and then had the wind in their sails. As soon as the second went in I thought we were back on easy street.

For me the issue was just how bad that spell was, it was like the arse completely fell out the boys! 

As comfortable as the first half was, we didn’t really create any other clear cut chances that I can think off other than the goal itself and a half chance when Howie and Taggs went through. 

A couple of saves from Hutton kept us in the game at 1-1 or it would have been curtains. 

My first game since Brechin in the league cup and a good result, but I'd agree with Waspie on the performance. First half we bossed possession without creating too much other than the goal (great piece of play from Scougall and a good finish from Boyd). Then in the last few minutes we almost conceded with Hutton having to save well.

Second half and it all seemed to be going wrong. We concede early with what looked like Hutton getting his positioning all wrong (although a very good strike so I'm perhaps being q bit harsh). At this stage it looked like East Fife we're certain to add more, the midfield dropped out of the game, the defence was porous, and Hutton had to bail us out on a couple of occasions. Then seemingly from nowhere two good pieces of football, two fine finishes, and for the rest of the game we cruised to a good win.

It was a game that showed we are still a work in progress - the midfield needs to improve and Church needs to get closer to the performances of Taggart on the other side. It was also a game that showed we can manage to play some good stuff, Scougall and Boyd in particular were impressive.

Hopefully we can build on the positives but it's still very much a work in progress.

Agree with most. Certainly not perfect, but a big step in the right direction with some good individual performances. Particularly when the starting lineup was patched together a bit. 

The back 3 looked commanding for long spells with Durnans inclusion. He had a standout debut. Mendy was a bit erratic at times but hopefully that will evaporate a bit as he beds in.

Howie kept it simple in the middle, and I thought King had a good first half.

The game turned after the equaliser, and we had to deal with a bit of adversity. After a few bad results it was understandable we wobbled a bit. At that point, game could really have gone either way.

Scougall lit up the game, with his ultimately match winning touches of class. His and Scot Taggarts quality were the difference between the sides yesterday. 

Great to pick up a home win and more importantly move in the right direction as a unit.