Afghanistan Crisis

42 minutes ago, Ric said:

Here is the full interview, it's about 25 minutes long..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-58223530

That strangely sounds quite liberal especially compared to some of the other legitimate government's in the region obviously they have some way to go to actually implement it when there will always be a more extreme branch of folk wanting things back to the old ways.

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

That strangely sounds quite liberal especially compared to some of the other legitimate government's in the region obviously they have some way to go to actually implement it when there will always be a more extreme branch of folk wanting things back to the old ways.

It certainly seems like the lad had been on a PR training course, that's for sure. Should we be surprised, it's the modern age, they know how to play the game. In many ways they could return to the same level of religious zealotry, but so long as they are seen as a strong power, they are infinitely better (in entirely dry geopolitical terms) than a permanently unstable Afghanistan with Iranian, Russian, or local insurgency troops waltzing through the place.

I can't say for certain it's going to be "a shit day all around" for those under Taliban rule, but their history and the religious pressure of their neighbours would suggest it very well may be.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, 101 said:

In the 12th century, Merv (in present day Turkmenistan) was the largest city in the world.  It was attacked by Mongols who assured the inhabitants that if they were allowed in there would be no wholesale slaughter.

Fortunately the Mongols were good for their word and that is why Merv is still the world's largest city.

Oops.  I think I got something wrong there.  On the same basis, it would be equally wrong to trust the Taliban.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

They've murdered plenty of people outside of Kabul in the last few weeks. It's complete bullshit, unbelievable that people are falling for it. 

One of the interesting things about this is that the Taliban now control what, in the late 1990s and early 2000s, were the heartlands of the Northern Alliance. I’ve heard it suggested that the Taliban have changed since the 1990s but no-one really knows I guess. I doubt they will have relationships with al-Queda or any group like it, the downsides rather obviously outweigh the up.

How they deal with the local actors who have been opposed to them in the past is interesting to me. How Afghanistan and the West deals with the exodus of Afghans is another big open question. I saw videos of people fleeing to Iran and Uzbekistan online earlier, if the flow becomes as large as it could then these countries could be destabilised. Also, European countries will face large numbers of refugees trying to reach the EU which will have its own impact.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How they deal with the local actors who have been opposed to them in the past is interesting to me. How Afghanistan and the West deals with the exodus of Afghans is another big open question. I saw videos of people fleeing to Iran and Uzbekistan online earlier, if the flow becomes as large as it could then these countries could be destabilised. Also, European countries will face large numbers of refugees trying to reach the EU which will have its own impact.

Not just the EU. How will Boris's big Brexit supporters react to them coming to the UK in substantial numbers?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's the reaction of the immediate neighbours that might be interesting.

Iran aren't terribly keen on the Taliban (wrong kind of Muslim), China are apparently keeping an eye on things (they have a small border with Afghanistan and Terry Taliban won't look kindly on China's treatment of the Uighurs). I can't see the People's Liberation Army marching in though, Beijing will have learned the lessons of the Soviet and US invasions.

Pakistan seems to have a fairly cosy relationship with them, the Taliban leaders having lived quite happily in exile there.

The Pakistanis are baw deep in all this. Bin Laden hiding out a mile from their military college and they apparently didnt have a clue? 

Feel quite conflicted about Afghan, my cousin served there in the scots guards and said the ANA were utterly useless, corruption rife and they expected the western forces to do all the fighting for them. Considering the sacrifices made its shameful the british government’s reaction to all this is a shoulder shrug. 

In terms of America it continues to be fucking bewildering just how badly Biden is doing, its as if he wants Trump in again. 

28 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The Pakistanis are baw deep in all this. Bin Laden hiding out a mile from their military college and they apparently didnt have a clue? 

Considering the sacrifices made its shameful the british government’s reaction to all this is a shoulder shrug. 

Pakistan are clearly involved in this and have been for a long time, but taking on a nuclear power just isn’t going to happen.

As for sacrifice, not sure what you mean, it was a case of cut our loses on a fight we couldn’t win. And I’m not sure we’ve actually losed a lot from being involved.   We’d have given jumped up generals funding in another conflict instead.

33 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

In terms of America it continues to be fucking bewildering just how badly Biden is doing

Their intel was clearly off although they took the rug out from the Afghan government as they went over their heads and met with the Taliban.