Season ticket sales

I heard an interview with Davie Martindale a few weeks ago just before the first league game and he stated Livi had sold around 750 season Tickets, to state I was disappointed was an understatement. 4 good seasons, 2 top 6 finishes and a notional cup final and that was the best the people of West Lothian could muster.

Anyway it got me thinking about Season Tickets sales and where we stand in the larger Scheme of things. I am in no doubt we are the lowest season ticket sales, but what have other teams sold for this season?

I recall reading we now had over 5000 season tickets for this season. 

But that included those tickets that the club was offering to the unemployed or on a low income that could not afford to buy a ticket.  I gather that is around 3-400 tickets.  

What always baffles me is that our home support is often up to 1000 lower than season ticket sales.  That said last weekend when we played Dundee I know of at least 3 season ticket holders that did not / could not attend for various reasons. 

I very much doubt we will ever sell much more to be honest.

35 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What always baffles me is that our home support is often up to 1000 lower than season ticket sales.  That said last weekend when we played Dundee I know of at least 3 season ticket holders that did not / could not attend for various reasons. 

I very much doubt we will ever sell much more to be honest.

Assuming we're a club who post attendances based on numbers who have actually come through the gate I've always guessed that the disparity in attendance vs ST holders is down to a fair chunk of the ST number being either the free kids tickets and/or the £20 Junior tickets.

You're probably far more likely to have a wean be temperamental and decide they don't want to go (for whatever reason) or it's just a case of being easier to sack off going to a game if you've only paid £20 for the season than if you've paid £300+, £400+.

I mean, I could be wrong but that's always seemed the most logical explanation to me.

Prior to the whole pandemic and the like apparently our record number sold was 4,488 in 2019/20. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/07/06/lets-break-our-season-ticket-record/

According to Dempster speaking in 2013, STs were around 2,500 in 2008.

“We’ve had our insolvency event and I don’t think that will happen to us again. Our season ticket sales were numbered at 2500 five years ago and now we sell to 4400 people."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Hearts have apparently sold 12,500 which is about 1,000 short of the record (2016/17)

I should add a caveat that last season's season tickets covered us for watching online but as we only got 14 home games we could claim a discount on the renewals.

There was briefly a strange inversion of he normal "early bird" offer where you could renew at full price for a limited period before the discount kicked in and apparently a  few thousand people did

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

In general you'd expect sales to be driven up by  people having been starved of live entertainment for a year

But, on the other hand, demand will  be driven down by some people being short of money, still wary of being in crowds or indeed being dead. 

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Assuming we're a club who post attendances based on numbers who have actually come through the gate I've always guessed that the disparity in attendance vs ST holders is down to a fair chunk of the ST number being either the free kids tickets and/or the £20 Junior tickets.

You're probably far more likely to have a wean be temperamental and decide they don't want to go (for whatever reason) or it's just a case of being easier to sack off going to a game if you've only paid £20 for the season than if you've paid £300+, £400+.

I mean, I could be wrong but that's always seemed the most logical explanation to me.

Prior to the whole pandemic and the like apparently our record number sold was 4,488 in 2019/20. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/07/06/lets-break-our-season-ticket-record/

According to Dempster speaking in 2013, STs were around 2,500 in 2008.

Aye, I have a kids ticket which is seldom used, I enjoy the elbow room and realise I have operated a physical distancing regime for more years than some.

We are around about 3600. 

Really poor all things considered. Feel like Covid has had an adverse impact on some of our support in that the casual fans have discovered other things to do on a Saturday.

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Really poor all things considered. Feel like Covid has had an adverse impact on some of our support in that the casual fans have discovered other things to do on a Saturday.

Hopefully sparkys signing might get more sold

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Wasn't that last year for the tv package?  

Reports a month or so ago had us as having sold 2400 this season.

Think the previous non-covid season was about 1600, so we're a good bit up.

I was hoping the Dundee fans would bite at it, tbh.

Aye, I have a kids ticket which is seldom used, I enjoy the elbow room and realise I have operated a physical distancing regime for more years than some.

Killie were offering a free kids ST when you bought an adult one so I got one for my daughter even though she's not 1 until later this month. Figured I'd maybe take her to a game or two at some point later on in the season so might as well just get one.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Feel like Covid has had an adverse impact on some of our support in that the casual fans have discovered other things to do on a Saturday.

I think the move from Motherwell to give free season tickets was clever - as it was both the right thing to do as they had made promises but mainly because it lowers the chances of previous season ticket holders who are completely out the habit not buying one.  I always thought that was the biggest risk of closing down football - we all know folk that were previously die-hards but got out the habit and Covid felt to me like it could be that on a huge scale.

That said, I would imagine that in any support, there will still be folk reluctant to be in crowds again at this point and that might be keeping numbers artificially low - as will the uncertainty over restrictions coming back in, etc.

I looked on Hibs site to try and get a number for  them
They'd gone past 10,500 just after their first home game so it's probably about 11k final
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/still-time-to-join-us-for-the-2021-22-season

But what really struck  me though was the picture they'd used on their website 

image.thumb.png.2696f986877ca3043c762fa530eb5960.png

I know that regardless of, which  club you support, watching Scottish football sometimes involves the kind  of  soul crushing ennui captured in this picture but it  does  seem a strange way of  selling season tickets  to supporters who are sitting on the  fence

The only  one smiling is  the old lady who's chuckling at a crap joke she just made, Her grandsons either side are refusing to even look at her while the youngest one  is scratching his neck and pretending not  to have heard it 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair it's the price that puts me off. If you miss 2 home games then you lose money by buying one. 

I know that's not the point in buying a season ticket and it's to give the club a bit of money during the summer, but I can't help but feel we're a bit ripped off at Dundee at £370. I'd pay £320 as that gives me a bit of value but not much more than that.

Edited by RossDee01

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Killie were offering a free kids ST when you bought an adult one so I got one for my daughter even though she's not 1 until later this month. Figured I'd maybe take her to a game or two at some point later on in the season so might as well just get one.

Good luck enjoying that game!