The Car Washing discussion thread

Thorongil

Here’s how I see it. A car is made of metal. It gets driven on the road and gets dirty to varying degrees whenever it is used. I take the view that occasional wash at a car wash either automated or by guys doing it is plenty. It costs about a fiver and you can do it when out, combining it with actual use of the car.

So when I see people washing their own cars i their driveways I am perplexed. I just see a massive waste of time and energy. Why do people bother? 

I know some will say that car washes and stuff don’t do as good a job but come on?! It’s going to get dirty again anyway. 

Why bother to wash your own car?

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

By this logic why wash anything?

To clean it. My point really is the effort/reward ratio of washing your own car. Some people spend hours doing it when it can be done fin 5 minutes by a team of people and you only have to stop in to have it done. The result is broadly similar, both short term and medium term.

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A waste of time, one that I never, ever partake in. 

In fact, I think since my first car when I was a wee boy-racer ned type for about 9 months, I have never washed my own car. That would make it roughly 17 years since I washed a car. 

Same. I pay someone to wash it.

I will (very)occasionally wash my car if I’m motivated and have not a lot else to do on a pleasant summer morning otherwise I’ll happily let some Romanian lads crack on and clean the car for a fiver or go to Sainsbury’s car wash etc. 
Whereas my next door neighbour is an absolute tool who power washes his and his wife’s (insignificant and fairly old small) cars every weekend for hours on end. They’ve only been married a year and I’d have thought he’d have other better things to be getting on with on a weekend morning than taking the Karcher to his VW Golf like a man possessed!!

Swirls on the paintwork will be left from Any kind of car wash that you drive threw that uses  “rollers “ to wash it or also the self service car wash with the brush and the hot foam on the garage forecourt or the kinda place that charges a fiver and is washed by a handful of Eastern European’s  , some people may not be bothered And  a lot of that  will depend if you own the car or leasing it as after a few years it’s not your problem ,also washing the car with a sponge (which is as old school as wax )or using improper car washing techniques could just be as bad as using the Eastern European’s car wash ,but that allows me to offer a lower price on a  part exchange  use a quick glaze on the paintwork instead of paint  correction,  lower the mileage back if I can and sell it to a nun for profit . 

17 minutes ago, deegee said:

I will (very)occasionally wash my car if I’m motivated and have not a lot else to do on a pleasant summer morning otherwise I’ll happily let some Romanian lads crack on and clean the car for a fiver or go to Sainsbury’s car wash etc. 
Whereas my next door neighbour is an absolute tool who power washes his and his wife’s (insignificant and fairly old small) cars every weekend for hours on end. They’ve only been married a year and I’d have thought he’d have other better things to be getting on with on a weekend morning than taking the Karcher to his VW Golf like a man possessed!!

Yeah, I think that’s really odd and is a strong indication that someone is likely to be a tadger.