The Car Washing discussion thread

Thorongil

7 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Fair amount of minks on this thread. 

Where do the PnB massive stand on hoovering the inside? 

You're some kind of estate agent aren't you, where a manky car might lose you customer confidence? As far as hoovering I'll get right on it tomorrow, or definitely the next day..

14 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Enjoy washing my car so happy to spend a few hours a month cleaning it.

I'm not going to pay someone to damage my paint work.

See, this is the thing I don’t believe in. I think the whole “it damages your paintwork” is an urban myth out about by precious types who place far too much esteem (and self esteem) upon their cars.

31 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Fair amount of minks on this thread. 

Where do the PnB massive stand on hoovering the inside? 

Pay a mobile valeter that comes round to the house and does our cars every 4-6 weeks inside and out.  Mainly because Mrs. B keeps her car like a shit pit and I have better things to do than clean it.  TBF her car is the one we use when we go somewhere with the dogs which generates mud in the boot and the front from our muddy feet.  Getting it cleaned regularly forces her to empty out all the empty juice cans and the like she jettisons in the car though.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You're some kind of estate agent aren't you, where a manky car might lose you customer confidence? As far as hoovering I'll get right on it tomorrow, or definitely the next day..

Close enough and I do use the car for work so it projects a first impression.

A small leap and a petty prejudice of mine but it’s the same with tradesmen - if a guy turns up with a manky van, what’s the expectations of him taking pride in his work? 

That @Shandon Par character - I’ll bet he keeps a clean van. 

13 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Close enough and I do use the car for work so it projects a first impression.

A small leap and a petty prejudice of mine but it’s the same with tradesmen - if a guy turns up with a manky van, what’s the expectations of him taking pride in his work? 

That @Shandon Par character - I’ll bet he keeps a clean van. 

A1DC4D24-CA6C-4E44-9197-694EA8D6600D.jpeg

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Had my car about 6 years.

Never washed it, never mind hoovering it.

Don't keep rubbish in it though so tidy enough inside.

Seats stained a bit from spilled drinks and dropped chocolate over the years so might consider a seat cover but no way am I getting it valetted. 🤣

Oh and I never dust the surfaces in the house. Who the hell wastes their time doing that?

^^^

hqdefault.jpg

This thread is genuinely giving me the fear. Would hope the people that don't wash their cars at minimum give the inside a dust / hoover from time to time? Nothing worse than getting a lift off someone where they need to clear years worth of shite from the footwells so you can get in. There is a good reason, especially in the winter for washing / polishing cars. Firstly to remove road salt in the winter especially to try mitigate against corrosion, second reason is to protect the paint. Wax and other paint sealants used as after treatments help to protect the paint from stone chip damage by adding an extra layer. 

I'm not one that stands outside for hours on end, removes the wheels etc. Just a quick wash every 4-6 weeks doesn't go a miss, only takes 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

This thread is genuinely giving me the fear. Would hope the people that don't wash their cars at minimum give the inside a dust / hoover from time to time? Nothing worse than getting a lift off someone where they need to clear years worth of shite from the footwells so you can get in. There is a good reason, especially in the winter for washing / polishing cars. Firstly to remove road salt in the winter especially to try mitigate against corrosion, second reason is to protect the paint. Wax and other paint sealants used as after treatments help to protect the paint from stone chip damage by adding an extra layer. 

I'm not one that stands outside for hours on end, removes the wheels etc. Just a quick wash every 4-6 weeks doesn't go a miss, only takes 20 minutes. 

My work has a small car park which results in people regularly leaving their keys on the desk so that colleagues can move their car if they're in a meeting, on lunch etc. 

I went to move a colleagues car that was full of fast food wrappers and general shite associated with her toddler. Can cope with that ok. I went to pull the door shut and couldn't get my hand in behind the handle properly. When i pulled it in close i could see that the wee hollow bit was filled up with hundreds of bits of chewing gum. I'm wretching just thinking about it. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My work has a small car park which results in people regularly leaving their keys on the desk so that colleagues can move their car if they're in a meeting, on lunch etc. 

I went to move a colleagues car that was full of fast food wrappers and general shite associated with her toddler. Can cope with that ok. I went to pull the door shut and couldn't get my hand in behind the handle properly. When i pulled it in close i could see that the wee hollow bit was filled up with hundreds of bits of chewing gum. I'm wretching just thinking about it. 

Aye its a bit different between moving a couple of jackets / toys to general litter which is just manky. 

16 hours ago, deegee said:

I will (very)occasionally wash my car if I’m motivated and have not a lot else to do on a pleasant summer morning otherwise I’ll happily let some Romanian lads crack on and clean the car for a fiver or go to Sainsbury’s car wash etc. 
Whereas my next door neighbour is an absolute tool who power washes his and his wife’s (insignificant and fairly old small) cars every weekend for hours on end. They’ve only been married a year and I’d have thought he’d have other better things to be getting on with on a weekend morning than taking the Karcher to his VW Golf like a man possessed!!

Same with my neighbour. He's out twice a week with the pressure washer and all the gubbins cleaning his wife's car. I would understand if it was a Ferrari, but it's a pea-soup green Volkswagen that looks like a decent pothole could take the doors off it. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I like the graffiti that kids do in the grime

"clean me" 

"i wish my wife was this dirty" 

"also available in white" 

Always bring a genuine smile to my face. I appreciate that not everyone has a sophisticated sense of humour like mine though. 

Slightly more sophisticated.

e9f-aniwuambg7g-data.jpg